Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcements for tomorrow's wedding

Quote Originally Posted by Casual77 View Post
    I've been told to not invite requests and politely decline any not in keeping with the other music or that feature artists on the sh*t list they have provided.

I think despite your slip up in the video that your delivery sounds pretty good.
    Thanks. Its OK, but is about 3 years old, so its a bit better nowadays. I found simplifying it and just making that as good as possible works better.depends on the wedding and the time of day mind you.

Setting the scene right at the start lets the guests know what is going to happen and that you are not just playing your own stuff. reinforce that a few times with "another one from the smith (an example) setlist" or here is one from rebeccas list. Having a bride and groom top 10/20 helps distinguish who like what.

You think you have problems, this is my top 10 for tonight. so i will make dead sure everyone knows its the bride and grooms selection, not mine.

First Dance
    No Matter W 1. hat acoustic – Papa Roach

RACHAEL & DAVID:
    2. Through Glass – Stone Sour

Bride & Groom Songs
    1. To be Loved – Papa Roach
    2. Maybe Someday – Black Stone Cherry
    3. Bad Company – Five Finger Death Punch
    4. Enter Sandman – Metallica
    5. Happy Song – Bring Me the Horizon
    6. Forever – In This Moment
    7. Absolute Zero – Stone Sour
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post

You think you have problems, this is my top 10 for tonight. so i will make dead sure everyone knows its the bride and grooms selection, not mine.

First Dance
    No Matter W 1. hat acoustic – Papa Roach

RACHAEL & DAVID:
    2. Through Glass – Stone Sour

Bride & Groom Songs
    1. To be Loved – Papa Roach
    2. Maybe Someday – Black Stone Cherry
    3. Bad Company – Five Finger Death Punch
    4. Enter Sandman – Metallica
    5. Happy Song – Bring Me the Horizon
    6. Forever – In This Moment
    7. Absolute Zero – Stone Sour
    Personally I think announcements like that just makes the DJ sound whingy and clueless.

But please keep it up, that’s the sort of attitude that pushes work my way

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    Personally I think announcements like that just makes the DJ sound whingy and clueless.

Sorry Toby, but:

Martin wins the internets.

Go with that, see how it gets on and then see if it feels right for you.

Personally for me I'd never say "and coming up we have this little number" as it just screams cheesy radio DJ to me and that's not my style.

I actually fully appreciate where Toby is coming from and I'd say 9 out of 10 times when you get a feeling little set lists like this aren't going to "work" then it's really annoying when you can feel people looking at you and thinking "play something decent". It's striking that balance between letting the client have things their way and also the fact you're the best qualified person at that function to judge what people will dance to (which is strictly speaking what we're paid to do).
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    Go with that, see how it gets on and then see if it feels right for you.

Personally for me I'd never say "and coming up we have this little number" as it just screams cheesy radio DJ to me and that's not my style.

I actually fully appreciate where Toby is coming from and I'd say 9 out of 10 times when you get a feeling little set lists like this aren't going to "work" then it's really annoying when you can feel people looking at you and thinking "play something decent". It's striking that balance between letting the client have things their way and also the fact you're the best qualified person at that function to judge what people will dance to (which is strictly speaking what we're paid to do).
    It’s the assumption I take issue with, the gig hasn’t happened yet and excuses are being made already. And if a DJ can’t manage to slot in 10 must play tunes throughout the night without making a big deal out of it and feeling they need to shift blame then they’re a very limited DJ.

It’s the assumption I take issue with, the gig hasn’t happened yet and excuses are being made already. And if a DJ can’t manage to slot in 10 must play tunes throughout the night without making a big deal out of it and feeling they need to shift blame then they’re a very limited DJ.
    I read it as those were to be played in that order, if not then my point doesn't really apply for the reasons you mentioned.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    I read it as those were to be played in that order, if not then my point doesn't really apply for the reasons you mentioned.
    I read it as a top 10 must plays rather than a mini-set....

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Surely, as a guest, you're aware of the B&G's taste in music before you turn up to the wedding?

Quote Originally Posted by Casual77 View Post
    I've been told to not invite requests and politely decline any not in keeping with the other music or that feature artists on the do not play list they have provided.

I think despite your slip up in the video that your delivery sounds pretty good.

Mod note:
    Please do not use asterisks or symbols to get round the forum censor. Thank you.
    Sorry mods. I didn't know there was a swear filter. I inadvertently got round it by censoring myself. I will bear it in mind for future posts though.

I've just been to visit the venue and meet the bride, groom and best man. I'm not going to say that the nerves have all gone but I feel far more comfortable now that I've met them in person. I guess that will be the problem with working through an agency because for more straight-forward wedding gigs they won't want me having direct contact with the client. Maybe I will have to insist on it if they want me to do their jobs though because I don't like turning up to gigs if I don't know what I'm doing.

The venue looked reasonable and easily accessible but a new scenario for me in that the meal will be served on a mezzanine floor above me... So I will be playing a large part of my background music to an empty room while they are eating upstairs.

On a positive note, the bride and groom are planning to be on the dancefloor all night so it will be easier to pass off some of their more obscure song choices.