Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Announcements for tomorrow's wedding

Can't be arsed to multiquote, I'm on the tablet mid-gig.

Toby, what if those ten tracks ram the floor? Perhaps all the guests love them. ( BTW, I love Enter Sandman, and I'm not a Metallica fan )

Martin and Neil, I got the impression it was play these in this order.

Allan, relax. Be yourself, work with what you've got. It's usually the case that you can find something you know that fots in with the flow just fine.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I currently am playing the 10 in order and watching people leaving the room in mass. Waited until 11.15pm.
    Only the B&g on the floor - screwy shout rock.

So on this occasion its not the case, but i know what you mean.

Been a great night up until now, but this is far too heavy for the guests!
    Should end up with about 10 people at the end this rate.

Red wine after this (on their list) to pacify things a bit.
    Last edited by yourdj; 24-07-2015 at 11:31 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Casual77 View Post
    I've just been to visit the venue and meet the bride, groom and best man. I'm not going to say that the nerves have all gone but I feel far more comfortable now that I've met them in person. I guess that will be the problem with working through an agency because for more straight-forward wedding gigs they won't want me having direct contact with the client. Maybe I will have to insist on it if they want me to do their jobs though because I don't like turning up to gigs if I don't know what I'm doing.

The venue looked reasonable and easily accessible but a new scenario for me in that the meal will be served on a mezzanine floor above me... So I will be playing a large part of my background music to an empty room while they are eating upstairs.

On a positive note, the bride and groom are planning to be on the dancefloor all night so it will be easier to pass off some of their more obscure song choices.
    No. Working blind is bloody awful. Hate it hate it hate it. Everything works so much better when there's contact with the customer, even if it's only by email. And now at last, that's happening for me & I'm aiming to improve it even more.

Don't worry too much about something obscure clearing the floor of everybody but the people who asked for it. If we only ever played the usual suspects life as a DJ would get pretty dull very quickly. I love throwing curveballs into my sets. They usually work well but when they don't I tend not to panic because I know I can bring people back pretty easily. Dancefloors are fickle places sometimes & even what filled a floor at your last 10 gigs might very well decimate it tomorrow. It happens. When I would worry though is if I ever have a night where I'm like countless DJs I've seen who can pack a floor with something easy (the shooting fish in a barrel trick) & then completely ruin it by messing up the flow. I was talking to the photographer tonight about this - he saw a DJ the other week ram the floor with "I've got a feeling" & followed it with Michael Jackson 'Heal the world'. I mean on whose planet would those 2 songs work back to back?! Hmm?!

Well, it's the morning of the gig and I've been up for the past hour or so with butterflies. I'm sure I can pull the gig off with out any problems and that I've got more than enough music that they want to fill the night but I can't seem to shake off the pre-match nerves.

I'm still not experienced enough to be able to relax and enjoy gigs yet until after they have finished. I feel like I'm going in to an important exam having done plenty of revision but still with nagging worries about how it will all pan out. It doesn't help that I've had a few minor technical issues with my computer/controller and lights recently which are unsettling. The worry about making announcements and sorting out the right lighting for the first dance just add to the tension.

Having said all that, I expect that I'll be back on here tomorrow morning saying that it went really well and that I enjoyed it. I'm sure as long as I play the right music and do a half decent job of the announcements that the bride and groom will be happy enough.

I'm still not experienced enough to be able to relax and enjoy gigs yet

And that my friend happens to us all now and again , good luck today , sure it will be fine.

Cheers

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

I'm still not experienced enough to be able to relax and enjoy gigs yet until after they have finished
    As Darryl says it happens to loads of us sometimes. You've prepared. You have a very 'can do' attitude. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Thanks. It's days like today when you really value having a forum like this where you can pick up invaluable advice and reassurance from people who have gone through the same experience.

I have been DJing at different levels since 1984.

Got a big wedding today for a colleague in my day job with 150-180 people.

Must have done 1000 weddings or more over then years but still got butterflies for tonight.

You have to embrace it and use it as "an edge" to keep you fresh and not stale!

Don't worry about the nerves for starters. It happens to us all and I still get them from time to time. It means you want to do a decent job at the end of the day.

I'd just like to add that I agree with you when it comes to this forum being helpful, it really is. Yes, it's good to see videos of what others do and get ideas and it's also good to get tons of advice but eventually you will have your own style before long and it will come naturally.

I'm sure you will be fine.

As for the more 'alternative' or guitar based tracks. I wonder sometimes why people appear to be scared of guitars or a bit of attitude when it comes to the music.
    I am of the opinion that the customer gets what the customer wants. It's THEIR big day and they should have what they want on THEIR day. Yes, you (and they) have to take their guests into account but is it really that much of a problem playing some of their favourite tracks that may not be appreciated by their guests?
    Is it that much of a problem for a guest to sit there and listen to something they don't like for 30 minutes or something, especially when they have more than likely been fed and watered by the Bride & Groom?

I have said in the past over the microphone that I have a huge list of requests of some of the Bride & Groom's favourite songs and hopefully there is something there for everyone. I don't think that is passing the buck or covering myself, I just think it is telling everybody that the Bride & Groom have requested a bunch of songs. Whether the guests like those songs or not is another thing but they should respect the fact that it's not their day.

I think sometimes the whole thing is made difficult when it really shouldn't be. It's just music at the end of the day and not everyone likes everything do they?

Quote Originally Posted by DJColsie View Post
    I have been DJing at different levels since 1984.

Got a big wedding today for a colleague in my day job with 150-180 people.

Must have done 1000 weddings or more over then years but still got butterflies for tonight.

You have to embrace it and use it as "an edge" to keep you fresh and not stale!
    Same here. Dead easy wedding with 130, in my resident venue tonight, Must have done hundreds of weddings there now, but I still want to leave an hour before I need to (20 mins down the road) just so I am there and can set up in my own time. The rock wedding last night was 1.5 hours down the M3 and we hit a traffic jam at the end, so it was rather stressful. Arrived dead on time mind you, but not what i wanted as we had a photo booth to set up as well as disco and only 2 team members.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/