Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh. Email help please.

Default Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh. Email help please.

I think some of my emails are getting lost. For instance, of three to the same address, No1 failed, no2 succeeded, and no3 failed, in quick succession.
    I don't always seem to get notifications of failure, but when I do, [email protected] is involved. I'm with Orange, formerly Wanadoo, formerly Freeserve.

I think there's some sort of blacklisting going on, but it's way above my head.

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Having worked for all 3 I can tell you that email blacklisting is not uncommon for them - honest advice, change
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/discocouture

Quote Originally Posted by Attack the Dance Floor View Post
    - honest advice, change
    In a heartbeat, except for the issue of losing my current address.

you could retain this one and use another for smtp traffic and slowly migrate over. You can set the outlook preference to reply do a different pop than you sent from
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/discocouture

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    In a heartbeat, except for the issue of losing my current address.
    Use email on your @excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk domain.

I've said it before and I'll say it again....using your ISP issued email is a big no-no: -

1) It up there with the use of free emails (Yahoo / Gmail / Hotmail) as far as professional image is concerned.
    2) It ties you to using that particular ISP, as you lose it when you leave them

You could migrate to @excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk email and stay connected through Orange for the time being, thus keeping your existing email address. You might even be able to automatically forward it, which would save you even checking it.

There's still a chance you could get caught in spam filters as, ultimately, you'll be sending from an IP address owned by Orange, but not going through their email server(s)...but it would stand a better chance of getting through, IMHO.

EDIT: Posted at same time as Andy....

Bumpity bump.
    I'm seriously considering a move to BT. Also, as Marc says, moving over to my disco email as the main one.
    I'm petrified at the prospect of forgetting to swap a client over, or worse still an online account. What if I have to retrieve a password, and they send it to the old email address?

Advice please. Thanks.

What I think you need to do is set up automatic forwarding on your ISP email account if you can. For safety's sakes have it forward mails to your disco email and a personal one. That's if your ISP email allows it.

That should help you along.

I should add here that you do this long before you switch and make absolutely sure you tell everybody the new address.
    Last edited by Nakatomi; 11-09-2015 at 10:31 AM.

I'd recommend a good 3 months overlap, tell everyone you can think of your new email address, then run for at least 3 months and whenever you find yourself having to log in with your old address, or see email coming in on it, make a point of changing it immediately for that sender / service.

I stopped using my ISP email about 10 years ago, and STILL see some stuff coming in on it! Nothing important, mind you.

One final recommendation....I have my surname.co.uk as my main personal email address, which is great because it's unlikely to every change, even if I stop or change the name of my business!

I just checked, and your surname (being quite common ) isn't available. However, if you're happy with where you live and don't see yourself moving any time soon, hasholme.co.uk isn't registered and so for a few £s a year you could have [email protected] (or hasholme.uk - 2 for 1 for the first year with some registrars just now). This might have more longevity than an email addressed based on your mobile discos? They could always be forwarded either way, so it'd wouldn't mean another mailbox to check...

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    I'd recommend a good 3 months overlap, tell everyone you can think of your new email address, then run for at least 3 months and whenever you find yourself having to log in with your old address, or see email coming in on it, make a point of changing it immediately for that sender / service.

I stopped using my ISP email about 10 years ago, and STILL see some stuff coming in on it! Nothing important, mind you.

One final recommendation....I have my surname.co.uk as my main personal email address, which is great because it's unlikely to every change, even if I stop or change the name of my business!

I just checked, and your surname (being quite common ) isn't available. However, if you're happy with where you live and don't see yourself moving any time soon, hasholme.co.uk isn't registered and so for a few £s a year you could have [email protected] (or hasholme.uk - 2 for 1 for the first year with some registrars just now). This might have more longevity than an email addressed based on your mobile discos? They could always be forwarded either way, so it'd wouldn't mean another mailbox to check...
    Marc, you're going to get some questions from me soon. Silly ones. Lots of 'em.

Is there any point in firing off an email to all my contacts advising them of the change of address? Thanks everyone for the advice so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Is there any point in firing off an email to all my contacts advising them of the change of address? Thanks everyone for the advice so far.
    I would....something like "I'm phasing out the use of my old email address [old email] over the next few months, and am changing my primary email address to [new email]. Please update any entries for me in your address book(s) to reflect this change."

It's never easy to change email, especially when you've been using an old one for so long, but once you do it and are no longer tied to your ISP it makes switching much easier!