Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh. Email help please.

Quote Originally Posted by Attack the Dance Floor View Post
    - honest advice, change
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Bumpity bump.
    I'm seriously considering a move to BT.
    It is done! Shiny new router arriving inside a fortnight, and allegedly a speed increase from unbelievably appallingly slow to very slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    I'd recommend a good 3 months overlap, ...
    Ah. Two weeks?

Better get emailing then. Wonder if there's a way of firing off bulk ones?

And while I'm on the subject, may I offer heartfelt thanks and praise to the legend that is Marc J for all his help and patience in these matters. He even did the remote access bit and set one troublesome ( to an old git like me ) account up himself. Guy's a star.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Better get emailing then. Wonder if there's a way of firing off bulk ones?
    While you could go to the bother of setting up an email list etc., the quickest way is to email everyone in your address book(s), in batches of maybe 25 or so.

The easiest way to do this is to send an email with YOURSELF in the "TO" field, and the batch of 25 addresses all in the "BCC" field.

DO NOT put everyone in the "CC" field, which is what most people do and it always infuriates me - everyone then gets a list of everyone else you've sent to...and I don't particularly like my email addresses being broadcast in this way. Not to mention everyone can then have a read through your contacts (cue the "why is [email protected] in his address book?" questions )

See How to Hide Email Addresses when Sending to Multiple Recipients in Outlook 2013

And while I'm on the subject, may I offer heartfelt thanks and praise to the legend that is Marc J for all his help and patience in these matters. He even did the remote access bit and set one troublesome ( to an old git like me ) account up himself. Guy's a star.

It is done! ...

It's a good job you've got Marc J for help as BT Customer Services are notorious for being unbelievably shocking! And not in a good way!!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

He is indeed. I've lost count of the times I've messed things up with my system and PC and he's taken the time to sort things out or make the long trip through to help me out the hole I've dug myself, lol. He's a good lad who's friendship I value.

P.s: Marc offers great reliable hosting if anyone is looking.

Default Next thrilling instalment.

Nobody ever said it would be easy, did they? That's good, cos at times, it ain't.

Started off so well on Friday, with the parcel* containing the router in a "safe place" on the front doorstep. Living where I do, it's usually safe enough.
    * Specially designed to go through the letterbox. Yeah right.

Fired up computer, all internet down. No big surprise there, time to fit the new one then. The only minor issue was the doing so had dropped the ( correct ) grey telephone cable on the floor, and was trying to use the ( incorrect ) yellow ethernet one.

Having I realised my foolish error, and switched on. By the time I'd walked back to the PC, the router was fully functional! Gasp! The Livebox would have taken ages. Found the signal, typed in the code, and hey presto, I'm ready to rock and roll. Simples.

Dear reader, you know better than that , don't you? Oh yes.
    Despite being told it would cease to exist at midnight, my Cinderella Freeserve account is still live. Perhaps when I cancel the DD, that wil stop it, who knows?

Anyhow, while wandering through the BT site, I notice I've got 10Gb allowance per month. And how long will that last at present usage rates? Five days.
    First thing this morning, call to New Delhi, on a line being shared with a restaurant frying sausages on an industrial scale. Not likely to inspire confidence in a Telecomms company, but ah well. After a lot of confusion, I'm transferred to Bonny Scotland, and a nice lad relieves me of a fiver a month to unleash the full panoply of the Interweb without let or hindrance.

Why am I now thinking " if it ain't broke................................. " ?

P.S. I tried the " Scunthorpe test", and I can now name this place in emails! Whoopee.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 12-10-2015 at 10:50 AM.

It's up to your new provider, BT, to take over the service from your old provider and this includes getting them to cancel your old account. BT should be doing this as it's part of the changeover service. However, given BT's service track record, I can't help thinking you haven't heard the last of that!!

Cancelling your direct debit is always a risky move as, if Freeserve haven't received your notice to terminate, they may charge you for returned direct debits as it's breach of contract. However, to switch BT should have received a MAC code from Freeserve (needed to make the switch happen) and agree the transfer date. It may be worth ringing Freeserve to confirm all of this has taken place. Something in the back of mind is telling me that you should only have one supplier on your line at any one time. If you two it's possible that BT have created a new broadband link on your line rather than taking over an existing one. And that thought worries me.
    Dazzy D

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    It's up to your new provider, BT, to take over the service from your old provider and this includes getting them to cancel your old account. BT should be doing this as it's part of the changeover service. However, given BT's service track record, I can't help thinking you haven't heard the last of that!!

Cancelling your direct debit is always a risky move as, if Freeserve haven't received your notice to terminate, they may charge you for returned direct debits as it's breach of contract. However, to switch BT should have received a MAC code from Freeserve (needed to make the switch happen) and agree the transfer date. It may be worth ringing Freeserve to confirm all of this has taken place. Something in the back of mind is telling me that you should only have one supplier on your line at any one time. If you two it's possible that BT have created a new broadband link on your line rather than taking over an existing one. And that thought worries me.
    Don't panic, Mr Mainwaring. EE sent me a letter telling me when they'd gracefully, and asking me if I wasn't perhaps being a bit hasty. There was a bill from them for £0.00, which I paid immediately I reckon they shut the internet off early, which is why I was surprised by the freeserve email still functioning.

Don't panic, Mr Mainwaring. EE sent me a letter telling me when they'd gracefully, and asking me if I wasn't perhaps being a bit hasty. There was a bill from them for £0.00, which I paid immediately I reckon they shut the internet off early, which is why I was surprised by the freeserve email still functioning.
    Right, I get you! I thought, somehow, you were saying your Freeserve broandband service was still active. Just your email still working makes a lot more sense. A lot of service providers who supply a free email account to their subscribers will actually give you a grace period for still using the email account. This is so you can catch emails from anyone who hasn't gotten your change-of-email-address message. It could be a month, three months, six months or whatever. The idea is that as during this time any emails you receive you can reply to the sender and advise them that you've changed your email address. Hopefully, by the end of the grace period, everyone should be emailing your new address and emails to your old address should be minimal. Job done!
    Dazzy D

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    A lot of service providers who supply a free email account to their subscribers will actually give you a grace period for still using the email account. This is so you can catch emails from anyone who hasn't gotten your change-of-email-address message. It could be a month, three months, six months or whatever.
    Close. Six days Disappeared this morning. That should baffle those folk clogging up my inbox with junk.

And the final part of the cunning plan falls into place. I'm in deepest, darkest Lincolnshire, and while I can get a workable phone signal, I'm currently linked to a BT hotspot. Yippee.