Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: jaguar wizzard msd 250

Default jaguar wizzard msd 250

hi
    i have just received an email from a site with these lights for sale and was wondering if anyone had purchased one yet.
    they seem to be similar to the martin wizzard of old but a bit cheaper and was thinking of getting one as a centre piece.
    http://www.gear4djs.co.uk/acme-jagua...ler-5817-p.asp

Quote Originally Posted by hadyn View Post
    hi
    i have just received an email from a site with these lights for sale and was wondering if anyone had purchased one yet.
    they seem to be similar to the martin wizzard of old but a bit cheaper and was thinking of getting one as a centre piece.
    http://www.gear4djs.co.uk/acme-jagua...ler-5817-p.asp
    I'll let you now when mine turn up on Tuesday
    From the specs, they look to be a good bit of kit....certainly worth trying for the price.

Looks dotty to me

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Disco View Post
    Looks dotty to me
    to dot or not to dot that is the question!!!!
    i suppose a few dots wont harm anyone........

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Disco View Post
    Looks dotty to me
    Quote Originally Posted by hadyn View Post
    to dot or not to dot that is the question!!!!
    i suppose a few dots wont harm anyone........
    Yeah but it's a much more classy kind of dotty. LED matrix things would be much better if they moved around a bit, or tilted.. or did anything but just flash dots on & off.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Yeah but it's a much more classy kind of dotty. LED matrix things would be much better if they moved around a bit, or tilted.. or did anything but just flash dots on & off.
    It most certainly IS a better class of dotty.....and bloomin' bright with it (mine arrived today).
    It's a huge and heavy beast of a fixture, and to look at it in the flesh and actually pick it up, it's a rip off of the Martin Wizard.

Effects wise, multi-coloured gobos much like the Martin, huge coverage, but going to need taming as it's a bit lary in standalone mode.
    I'll be able to tell you more after the weekend (and once I've decided how I'm actually going to mount it). The original plan was to use it as a centrepiece on the Equinox booth overhead kit, but it feels a bit heavy for that (and from memory, I don't have quite enough headroom where I'm going on Saturday anyway), so it'll probably be mounted on a sturdy t-bar like the photo below....decisions decisions.....

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  48.4 KB

OK - mine arrived last week and got used on a wedding on Saturday.

First impressions - brilliant bit of kit!
    I'm lead to believe that it IS a Martin Wizard under the Acme badge (something to do with the Acme factory now making the Martin stuff....may be wrong there).

It's bloody heavy to get up onto the Equinox overhead bar, and it took a little fiddling to find clamps to fit both it, and the bar to be honest. Once it was in place though with a couple of g-clamps, it seemed stable enough...it doesn't seem to rock the bar too much when working.

It's bright, and produces plenty of colour/gobo effects on the floor. It DOES need taming though. I used it in S2L mode on Saturday and it was a bit manic to say the least. If nothing else, the action across the floor needs slowing down...a LOT.

It also runs very hot (as you'd expect from a 250w discharge bulb). It was still untouchable on the bulb side of the unit after 10 minutes of powering down. It was 20 mins before I dared to put it into its bag to get it into the van!

The only real downside for me is that it doesn't have daisy chaining on the IEC, which is what I'm now trying to achieve on everything so that I have only one cable going up to the overhead kit.

Overall, a brilliant addition as a centrepiece (I'm actually considering buying a second one and using a pair on just the uprights of the Equinox kit). Don't know how long the bulb will last...only time will tell on that one and have a replacement on order just in case....