Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Football songs-Do you ever?

I had to play The Best last weekend because it was on the 'must play' list. Nobody danced to it though there was a lot of loud singing, not the original words.

I can't remember which night it was, but I also tried Daydream Believer out for the first time in 20 or more years last weekend too. It went down very well. I did manage to make out some people singing 'monkeys heed' somewhere. Heh.

And er, isn't 500 miles a song about THE FOOTBALL somewhere too? I'd appreciate a ban on that one

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    I had to play The Best last weekend because it was on the 'must play' list. Nobody danced to it though there was a lot of loud singing, not the original words.

I can't remember which night it was, but I also tried Daydream Believer out for the first time in 20 or more years last weekend too. It went down very well. I did manage to make out some people singing 'monkeys heed' somewhere. Heh.

And er, isn't 500 miles a song about THE FOOTBALL somewhere too? I'd appreciate a ban on that one
    500 miles is generally seen as a tartan army song. Sunshine on leith is s hibs song.

I had a huge Celtic fan wedding a few weeks back and told him it wasn't a good idea to have you'll never walk alone as the 2nd song but on the night they were all in good spirits so I played just cant get enough and they went mental.

Groom came over, gave me a wink and said " I knew you were a Tim" Had to laugh as I'm dyed in the wool Rangers

What is a football song? I mean what makes one a football song - apart from obvious things like 'Three Lion' which is obviously a 'football song' but none of the ones posted here

Simply The Best
    Just Can't Get Enough
    Daydream Believer
    Penny Arcade

In my mind have anything to do with football

Not following the game at all or having any interest in it - Does that put me at danger? Of those four I have at one time or another played three of them but the only one I play regular is Penny Arcade and I never noticed any football connotations or undertones when I do, it's just very popular with a certain party clientele

I suppose this all depends on where you live? Around here Delilah is a 'football' song though I never for the life of my knew why it became known as such and just googling it now it appears I arn't the only one I get asked for it regularly and always play it if I do. I suppose somewhere else Delilah is just another 60's song?

Rich
    Last edited by dicky; 02-12-2015 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dicky View Post
    What is a football song? I mean what makes one a football song - apart from obvious things like 'Three Lion' which is obviously a 'football song' but none of the ones posted here

Simply The Best
    Just Can't Get Enough
    Daydream Believer
    Penny Arcade

In my mind have anything to do with football

Not following the game at all or having any interest in it - Does that put me at danger? Of those four I have at one time or another played three of them but the only one I play regular is Penny Arcade and I never noticed any football connotations or undertones when I do, it's just very popular with a certain party clientele

I suppose this all depends on where you live? Around here Delilah is a 'football' song though I never for the life of my knew why it became known as such and just googling it now it appears I arn't the only one I get asked for it regularly and always play it if I do. I suppose somewhere else Delilah is just another 60's song?

Rich
    You're fine as long as you don't play them in the West of Scotland. Ruined a swathe of great floorfillers - not the people who go to the matches but the idiots who sit at a wedding with a drink in them and want to fight over it.

Default OK think i need some advice here LOL

I have just read through this thread thinking i didn't realise there was so many different football songs that should be avoided LOL what other songs should i avoid i am from Birmingham so i know the Birmingham City songs but thats about it lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jennyg81 View Post
    I have just read through this thread thinking i didn't realise there was so many different football songs that should be avoided LOL what other songs should i avoid i am from Birmingham so i know the Birmingham City songs but thats about it lol
    Maybe avoid... Down Under... Not a football song, it might just remind Villa fans of where they're going.

Don't Worry about football songs... There's only 3 I can think of that I'd say "that's a football song"... You'll never walk alone, when the saints go marchng in and I'm forever blowing bubbles. Songs like the best and daydream believer are big without football!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

I'm not into football and come across requested songs that turn out to be attached to a particular team for some reason. As I am blissfully ignorant of any relationship a song may have to a team, I don't worry about requests and whether to play them or not. I leave them to worry (or not) about it. It's just another song to me!

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Now that Peter Reid is gone, is it safe to play Daydream Believer again?

I don't follow the football so have no idea...

So far I've only ever been asked to play one football related song since I came back, You'll never walk alone... And it was met with the loudest boos I've ever heard in reaction to a song
    Would that have been your gig in the Everton Supporters Club ??

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    Maybe avoid... Down Under... Not a football song, it might just remind Villa fans of where they're going.

Don't Worry about football songs... There's only 3 I can think of that I'd say "that's a football song"... You'll never walk alone, when the saints go marchng in and I'm forever blowing bubbles. Songs like the best and daydream believer are big without football!
    oh dear i didn't think of that one that's on my list for the relegation party at the local HAHAHA