Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The unlucky timing of illness

Default The unlucky timing of illness

This story has to be told despite being embarrassing for myself.

A couple of weekends ago I had a wedding booked in via an agent to cover a wedding of mine which was at the last min cancelled. So I'd never met the bride or groom.
    It's a lovely hotel very nice old decor very grand.

All goes well setting up etc, it's absolutely boiling outside so a few people are coming in to cool down but most are outside. After a bit I start feeling unwell, trips to the very cool toilet help and a quick cool wash of the face and I'm fine. Anyway things get progressively worse, I was struggling to pick the next track each time and was finding it difficult to look at the laptop screen. So again I leave to go to the toilet, I'm blocked by the bride groom and manager in the doorway. So I introduced myself and asked when they were doing first dance cake etc... "now" great, okay I'll get that done then pop traktor on auto after to cool down again. As it was very early for first dance I was expecting very little dancing afterwards.

I pick up the microphone and... Oh, I need to be sick ahhh... So I try and walk quickly apologise to bride and groom on my way "sorry back in 5 mins". Didn't quite make it. Spent 15 mins recovering and cleaning myself / my surrounding up. Luckily everybody including staff were in the reception room so nobody saw me.

I start walking back and the manager is there. I explain what happened and their response was "well the bride and groom have been waiting for you" in a bit of an angry tone... Gee thanks don't worry about if I'm going to be able to continue! I explained to the groom who was very understanding but I was a bit appalled by the managers reaction.

Nobody checked to see if I was okay or offer me a drink or anything I managed to get through the rest of the gig just about by cooling off every now and again and the following day I was fine. Had to happen at the most awkward moment though!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Do you know what caused you to feel like that?
    Yes, very embarrassing and bad timing as you say but it can't be helped.

Another case of bad timing and nothing to do will illness but something along the same lines as people not being very helpful or sympathetic happened to me on Sunday.
    As I have said elsewhere already it was regarding an issue with the sound that occurred just minutes before the first dance.
    I was trying to sort the issue out and the toast master was ready to welcome the guests in to the room, ready for the Bride & Groom. The guy in charge was stood with me and asked if I was ready. I asked him if he could hold back for a couple of minutes whilst I tried to sort the problem but he wasn't that helpful. To be fair he wasn't overly bad but he did say "I can't hold them back, they are going to have to come in now". I explained that trying to sort the issue out with them in the room wouldn't help me at all and I was flustered enough already. I am sure you can imagine the scene of panic.

I was a bit peeved off at the fact that they were going to bring the guests in no matter what. Worse case scenario was that they could have all been waiting there in silence and not had any music at all. Obviously that didn't happen and the guests and Bride & Groom were none the wiser but it was pretty stressful to say the least. It doesn't matter how long you've done this job, something will always pop up and throw you a curve ball won't it.

My first ever nightclub residency weren't sympathetic to my waking up on new years eve with flu. It was to be their grand reopening & not only was I expected to DJ - I had to install the pa & light rig too! I somehow managed to fly four speakers, install the decks, mixer & amps and run power in for lights until around 5pm when I went home for a hot bath & something to eat. On my return 2 hours later they'd decided to move the DJ booth then I had to rewire the pa & lighting power then rig the lights. It was a nightmare. We were all very annoyed the supplier couldn't deliver the gear earlier but what can you do when a club is to open?

As for the night itself, it went amazingly well everything considered. I could hardly think straight let alone mix & got through powered by Irish coffees by the pint.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

I once did a gig with my head in a bucket for half of the night from food poisoning. And last year, I did a gig the day after my mom passed away.

It's crap, but unfortunately it's part and parcel of what we do.

I'm sure we had a thread along these lines a few years ago. I'll repeat what I said back then about a couple of very nasty experiences I had a few years ago.

Both actually concern when I was doing a weekly alternative night in a club in Bournemouth and both resulted in me deciding not to eat anything after Midday on the day I am working. Sounds silly but it's true and it's how I get by. Luckily I have had no problems since.

Put it this way, I have a very delicate stomach!

The first incident happened on my way home from the club one night. I stopped at a kebab stand that was just around the corner from my house as I was absolutely starving. I didn't usually eat kebabs and I haven't touched one since because it gave me seriously bad squirting from both ends. What was bad and made me feel even worse was that I had a booking at Claridges in London the following day. I was proper ill and had to leave early to avoid traffic and get set up. It was a wedding with an Indie / Alternative theme (in Claridges of all places!). It was very hard work to say the least and even a large dose of imodium didn't help. I was backwards and forwards to the toilets between songs. Great night though.

The second incident and one that is quite memorable and funny in hindsight is when I was on my way to the club in Bournemouth one night. I was about half way there and had to stop at a service station as I didn't feel right. A visit to the toilets for longer than I expected meant I had to put my foot down when I was back on the road so that I got to the club in time. I thought I was alright but after an hour or so I was stood up there behind the decks with a packed club (about 400 people) and realised that I needed the loo again pretty bloody quickly. I had just started playing a song so had at least 4 minutes to wait and I didn't think I could hold on. I started working myself up into a state and the toilets were right over the other side of the club. I quickly found the 12" version of Fools Gold by Stone Roses and then legged it as quick as I could towards the toilets. People were trying to stop me and ask for requests but I ignored them. Luckily one of the cubicles was free and I remember sitting there in agony both from the stomach cramps but also because I could hear the song coming to close. To my surprise Step On by The Happy Monday's followed it. It was half way through that when I finally got back to the decks and stood up there behind them was a punter who'd seen that I wasn't there. He saved me from total embarrassment so I bought him a couple of beers.

Scary moments!

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    Do you know what caused you to feel like that?
    Possibly a brioche... my girlfriend also felt ill but unlike me she has a stomach of steel!

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    My first ever nightclub residency weren't sympathetic to my waking up on new years eve with flu. It was to be their grand reopening & not only was I expected to DJ - I had to install the pa & light rig too! As for the night itself, it went amazingly well everything considered. I could hardly think straight let alone mix & got through powered by Irish coffees by the pint.
    Ouch, I bet that wasn't an early night either!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    I once did a gig with my head in a bucket for half of the night from food poisoning. And last year, I did a gig the day after my mom passed away.
    It's crap, but unfortunately it's part and parcel of what we do.
    Indeed, I had a gig a few days after my dad died - the day after must have been tough though!

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    It was half way through that when I finally got back to the decks and stood up there behind them was a punter who'd seen that I wasn't there. He saved me from total embarrassment so I bought him a couple of beers.

Scary moments!
    Well that was lucky somebody was there. I have a lot of pre-sorted playlists which was most helpful with my sickness and often useful for when events unfold which you need to attend to without the worry of will I get back in time to play the next track.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Back then I was only using CD's and Vinyl. Nobody was using digital media to play music back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    I once did a gig with my head in a bucket for half of the night
    There are easier ways of getting a bit of reverb on the mic, Benny.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    There are easier ways of getting a bit of reverb on the mic, Benny.

did a solo (normally have some form of help) wedding in a huge marquee, all going well until that oh erm I need the toilet really badly, stick on dance the night away by the mavericks, run out, over the lawn, just make it, cd starts skipping cue 4 minuets of just want to dance, repeat, repeat, repeat, its amazing on how you can manage to be in a toilet so long with gastric issues, run back over the lawn just get back behind the deck and it cleared itself...
    only other one was eating semi raw chicken in the military academy in sandhurst, that had a really quick effect on me. luckily we were in a huge tent and I had help that night. but spent bouts of running back and forth.