Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My residency - what would you do?

Default My residency - what would you do?

As you're probably aware I took over a hotel residency a while ago. I rushed into it seen as my day job was under serious threat & I figured any financial help I could get would be good news.

Now, with loads of discos under the bridge I'm looking to leave having seen next year's crazy schedule (4 or 5 discos a week during pretty much the whole wedding season - try doing that & holding down a day job!). But.. the venue pays a month in arrears - so for July they'll pay me at the end of this month. Not ideal but they've been prompt so far.

There's no contract in place - just verbal agreements all the way. Now I realise that if I announce I'm going to walk I could end up being seriously out of pocket with no comeback. I should really have made sure I was under contract before taking it on (big mistake). Yes I'm a

The most professional thing to do would be to draw up a contract, wave it under the venue's nose & say that's how I want things to be or I just walk anyway. One month's termination notice in either direction, and penalties for overlooked bookings & cancellations. Late payment resulting in termination too.

I don't want to leave on a sour note - infact I'd much rather have preferred supplier status than actually work for them - that way I can pick & choose which gigs I want & don't have to arrange cover for holidays etc.

I went into this with my eyes open, but had no inkling that next year's calendar was going to be so manic - I mean how could I? The average for last year, before I started doing gigs there was a max of 3 a week, even at Christmas time.

First off which hotel is this, ive never asked before but its seems plenty busy.

So firstly I would speak to the gaffa and say that due to the fact things are running well and that the honeymoon period is over can you draw up a contract for the protection of both parties - any reputable venue will jump at the chance as they must be as cautious as yourself over the provision of good entertainment.

Then id put in said contract the ability to leave the room set up with gear or have it stored on site. Then i'd be finding a full time DJ who is looking for some extra work through the week. You keep doing the weekends and let them pick up a walk in rate on any surplus. You still make a few bob from the gear and contract but make it worth their while so you get some loyalty.

The DJ business is booming at the moment - i'm fully booked aug and sept and am giving gigs to other DJs I work with all the time. I did 46 gigs last year (which was my first full year) and this year I did that in 3 months.
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/discocouture

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    I'm looking to leave having seen next year's crazy schedule (4 or 5 discos a week during pretty much the whole wedding season - try doing that & holding down a day job!).
    Sounds like they're not paying enough. At 4-5 discos a week, it should be paying a comfortable full time income.

But.. the venue pays a month in arrears - so for July they'll pay me at the end of this month. Not ideal but they've been prompt so far.
    Pretty standard payment terms. Always worst at the beginning, but once you're 'in the system', it just becomes a monthly payment. And works well after you finish, as you get your final payment a month later.

The most professional thing to do would be to draw up a contract, wave it under the venue's nose & say that's how I want things to be or I just walk anyway. One month's termination notice in either direction, and penalties for overlooked bookings & cancellations. Late payment resulting in termination too.
    Contracts sound great - but having a contract is one thing - enforcing it is another. And the moment you have to enforce it is when the relationship breaks down anyway. Don't underestimate the value of a great working relationship that's verbal.

It's time to weigh up the options:

1: Ask for an increase in rate per evening
    2: Move away and get your own bookings at a higher rate
    3: Stay as you are

Can't you find someone to network with and share the workload to make things easier?
    You could also end up filtering most of the work their way and gradually hand it all over to them if you don't want to do it.
    Doing this (once you have found a trustworthy person...which is sometimes difficult) means that you keep the venue happy and also keep your foot in the door.
    Having a residency does have its benefits sometimes as it keeps the work coming in when private bookings are thin on the ground.
    Work out a deal with someone else and you could be laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    Can't you find someone to network with and share the workload to make things easier?

Work out a deal with someone else and you could be laughing.
    I think he's got it. By Jove, he's got it!

OK, My Fair Lady mode over, I think that's the obvious first course of action. Just watch you don't end up paying him/her on the night, and waiting for yours from the hotel.
    I think you should have the hotel only paying one of you, two lines of invoices is a recipe for disaster.
    Also, consider how many baskets your eggs are in. If that income stream disappears overnight, can you stay afloat? Been there....................
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

4/5 discos a week? Why would you give that up unless they're paying silly money?

Get a few local jocks on board who will work within budget and put them in on dates where you could be elsewhere earning more work. The issue you'll have is putting all your eggs in one basket is a dangerous game IMO but if you can get decent guys to cover your res while you're out there expanding the business into areas you want to be then you're laughing.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

The wiser amongst us see residencies as ‘nice while they last’.

Whatever you do plan as if it will be cancelled at a moments notice, because they can, regardless of what contract or agreement you have in place.

I see a few people mentioning sub-contracting the work out.

Considering it's not viable as a full time income for the OP, despite being 4-5 gigs a week, I have to question that quality of DJ you would get to cover those additional gigs. I would assume that the OP would take a small cut of each of those gigs, as there is still the hassle of arranging them, so the fee would be quite low.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I see a few people mentioning sub-contracting the work out.

Considering it's not viable as a full time income for the OP, despite being 4-5 gigs a week, I have to question that quality of DJ you would get to cover those additional gigs. I would assume that the OP would take a small cut of each of those gigs, as there is still the hassle of arranging them, so the fee would be quite low.
    It will never be a full time income unless you try unless of course the day job is something you're happy with?. If so then as mentioned speak with them and just tell them how it is (but do it now not next year).
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Maybe I'm too much of a pessimist, but at the rates this place pays I'll be hard pressed to find a stand in of much worth.

I can't see the venue being willing to take a price increase of very much.. Maybe 20% of that I'll see. This is where I see things going South.

The work is regular as hell, great! But with that comes playlists which take from an hour to 3 hours per gig to sort out. Add in the expense of buying one off tracks...

Setup times are about half an hour, as are take downs. Loading & unloading is nice & quick. Leaving stuff setup is only really possible for non wedding gigs except on Saturdays because the room is a carvery restaurant on Sundays.

If they could pay 150% of what they do now I'll change my mind. Being richer is no fun if you have no life outside of work.

So. Without more money, a standin is unlikely. I don't want thus volume of work as a part timer. That isn't what was on the table when I joined