Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My residency - what would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Maybe I'm too much of a pessimist, but at the rates this place pays I'll be hard pressed to find a stand in of much worth.

I can't see the venue being willing to take a price increase of very much.. Maybe 20% of that I'll see. This is where I see things going South.
    This is where you sell yourself to the venue. You are now worth more than what they are paying. From your gig reports, you can easily command much more outside of the venue. I'm guessing we're talking down around the £100 a night mark that they are currently paying you?

So if you can't get a stand it that's any good, it's up to the venue to decide whether they want to pay more for a good DJ, that will get them good reviews, or lose the DJ, and end up with someone not very good, and risk getting bad reviews. I sadly fear I know what the answer will be, as all they will see are their immediate profit margins.

You now have your own kit, and it seems to be decent kit, so you can easily command a a minimum of £300 per night. You should be able to attract £400-£500+ a night minimum.

Obviously there's not the guarantee of work, and there's the cost of advertising to factor in, but 1 x gig per week = 3 to 4 gigs at your current residency.

You will soon be operating a full capacity, but without generating enough money for it to be a full time income.

Now is the time to market yourself and get your own bookings.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    This is where you sell yourself to the venue. You are now worth more than what they are paying. From your gig reports, you can easily command much more outside of the venue. I'm guessing we're talking down around the £100 a night mark that they are currently paying you?

So if you can't get a stand it that's any good, it's up to the venue to decide whether they want to pay more for a good DJ, that will get them good reviews, or lose the DJ, and end up with someone not very good, and risk getting bad reviews. I sadly fear I know what the answer will be, as all they will see are their immediate profit margins.

You now have your own kit, and it seems to be decent kit, so you can easily command a a minimum of £300 per night. You should be able to attract £400-£500+ a night minimum.

Obviously there's not the guarantee of work, and there's the cost of advertising to factor in, but 1 x gig per week = 3 to 4 gigs at your current residency.

You will soon be operating a full capacity, but without generating enough money for it to be a full time income.

Now is the time to market yourself and get your own bookings.
    I'm not sure I'm worth £300 a night. Maybe with a better PA, just for my own conscience. The money is around the £100 mark. Not under, but not way over either. For their Xmas gigs I'm planning to buy a 2nd rig & get somebody in & pay them a fair deal - not like I got. I wouldn't .. nay couldn't do that for a wedding though.

I've said for a long time I want to be my own boss. I don't want to be anybody else's boss either. Not yet anyway. Marketing has kind of started already - my cards are out & my website is on its way to being finished (I just need a certain tog 'friend' to get back to me with stuff I can use).

The venue manager is on holiday right now - and I guess the comments about contracts are realistic - so if I can't get more money out of them (I seriously think they even see me as just A.N. Other disco in spite of everything) I'll be saying bye bye at a time which'd cause me minimal losses if they withhold pay & let them fill the hole. I do feel a (probably undeserved) sense of loyalty to them not to drop them in it, but I have to remember this is a business.

An average of 1.2 gigs a week over the year is what I want to call full capacity. Any other part-timer will appreciate it's a strain staying fresh enough while you hold down a day job as well if you do any more than that 2 a week.

Well if I understand correctly, the fees place you firmly between the devil and the deep blue sea. Not high enough to share with reliable operators, and too regular an income and safety net to walk away from. Tricky.

It seems to me that a discussion with management re contracts is vital. Don't forget, it's a two way street, and surely them having you contracted to turn up is valuable to them.

It also seems to me that assuming you begin to pick up higher paid work elsewhere, you need an exit strategy. One that doesn't burn too many bridges. Contrast £500-£600 a week for four or five nights work at low rates with £200 - £250 once a fortnight on higher paid work.

You're going to have to decide how much money you need to earn, and the best way to earn that. Good luck.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I'm not sure I'm worth £300 a night.
    That right now, stop it. You're worth more than that.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

I'm not sure I'm worth £300 a night. Maybe with a better PA, just for my own conscience.
    Why do you feel that. I've never seen you perform but from here on the forum you come across as extremely credible. I've no doubt that is reflected in your performances.

I have a feeling that it will be difficult to convince the venue that you are worth more (even of you have clearly demonstrated it). Most are just interested in their margins and the bottom line. And

Do you have your own equipment now? If you do, perhaps start quoting a fee you would like to command for external enquiries that are not through the hotel. Test the water, you may just surprise yourself. That way you can get some higher paying events whilst stilling having the safety net of the hotel behind you. Build up your own bookings and hopefully get to a stage where the hotel bookings are 'fillers' for the diary. If you can find someone reliable to cover the hotel shifts for you whilst out on your own gigs then even better!

I remember over 20 years ago I was getting a lot of work for a venue, so much so that I cut back on the amount of mobile gigs I did, then ended up exclusively working for that one venue. Regular money (albeit at a lower rate). All was well till the place closed doors without warning. I was back to square one, having to build from ground up again. From that day on I vowed never to have my eggs all in one basket again.

Best of luck....whatever route you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post

I remember over 20 years ago I was getting a lot of work for a venue, so much so that I cut back on the amount of mobile gigs I did, then ended up exclusively working for that one venue. Regular money (albeit at a lower rate). All was well till the place closed doors without warning. I was back to square one, having to build from ground up again. From that day on I vowed never to have my eggs all in one basket again.
    Shaun, stop it please. We seem to be agreeing a lot, it's unnerving.

For those who don't know, it's a running joke. We share a lot of views, we are opposed on a lot. That's life. I have to admit though that his words above are some of the best advice you'll ever see on here.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Shaun, stop it please. We seem to be agreeing a lot, it's unnerving.

I know. I'm more than a little scared.

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    That right now, stop it. You're worth more than that.
    If people will pay me that I'll happily take their hand off & be their loyal servant.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Well if I understand correctly, the fees place you firmly between the devil and the deep blue sea. Not high enough to share with reliable operators, and too regular an income and safety net to walk away from. Tricky.

It seems to me that a discussion with management re contracts is vital. Don't forget, it's a two way street, and surely them having you contracted to turn up is valuable to them.

It also seems to me that assuming you begin to pick up higher paid work elsewhere, you need an exit strategy. One that doesn't burn too many bridges. Contrast £500-£600 a week for four or five nights work at low rates with £200 - £250 once a fortnight on higher paid work.

You're going to have to decide how much money you need to earn, and the best way to earn that. Good luck.
    I don't need to earn any more than what one booking a fortnight at a decent rate would pay. This is a paid hobby, one I take pride in giving my all to. What I don't want is to be flogging myself to death while holding down being a dad, a husband AND having a day job. That's what's coming next year. To be frank, the last block of 4 weddings in 7 days damn near wiped me out. Wouldn't be so bad if I could just roll up back at home, go to bed & get straight to sleep.. but I'm flying after a great gig

More money would be great but most of all I need an opt-out. This has never come up with the venue before but maybe they'd be amenable to me saying 'no' once in a while. Lots to talk about with the manager when he's back from his hols I think.

At best, everybody ends up happy. At worst, I end up a little out of pocket with a slight dent in my ego.

The only way you’ll get a higher fee is by asking for it, and if it’s a hobby what have you got to lose?

If people will pay me that I'll happily take their hand off & be their loyal servant.
    If? They will

Try it, have some confidence in your worth (i.e don't draw a deep breath before you disclose a price). I went from £225 to £395 within a year (this was about five years ago as well).
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk