Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My residency - what would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    The only way you’ll get a higher fee is by asking for it, and if it’s a hobby what have you got to lose?
    Ooooh! Now far be it from me to point out any flaws in that theory, but I believe the fact that we're dealing with a hotel here will place a ceiling on the earning potential, that may not be there with private customers. " If you won't work here for £20, two pints of lager and a hot meal, there are plenty waiting who will ". Kind of undermines your bargaining position somewhat.

I quoted for a last minute bar booking this weekend, and my very reasonable price was £50 above the stated figure. The email from the manager tasked with filling the void implied strongly that even if my doppelganger Giorgio Moroder had got the gig, he'd have been working for a pittance.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Ooooh! Now far be it from me to point out any flaws in that theory, but I believe the fact that we're dealing with a hotel here will place a ceiling on the earning potential, that may not be there with private customers. " If you won't work here for £20, two pints of lager and a hot meal, there are plenty waiting who will ". Kind of undermines your bargaining position somewhat.

I quoted for a last minute bar booking this weekend, and my very reasonable price was £50 above the stated figure. The email from the manager tasked with filling the void implied strongly that even if my doppelganger Giorgio Moroder had got the gig, he'd have been working for a pittance.
    I should clarify - I meant private bookings, not the residency.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Why do you feel that. I've never seen you perform but from here on the forum you come across as extremely credible. I've no doubt that is reflected in your performances.

I have a feeling that it will be difficult to convince the venue that you are worth more (even of you have clearly demonstrated it). Most are just interested in their margins and the bottom line. And

Do you have your own equipment now? If you do, perhaps start quoting a fee you would like to command for external enquiries that are not through the hotel. Test the water, you may just surprise yourself. That way you can get some higher paying events whilst stilling having the safety net of the hotel behind you. Build up your own bookings and hopefully get to a stage where the hotel bookings are 'fillers' for the diary. If you can find someone reliable to cover the hotel shifts for you whilst out on your own gigs then even better!

I remember over 20 years ago I was getting a lot of work for a venue, so much so that I cut back on the amount of mobile gigs I did, then ended up exclusively working for that one venue. Regular money (albeit at a lower rate). All was well till the place closed doors without warning. I was back to square one, having to build from ground up again. From that day on I vowed never to have my eggs all in one basket again.

Best of luck....whatever route you decide.
    I have all my own gear now. I'm all set for external bookings bar a frontage for my deckstand. It's funny but I'd already plotted out your idea driving to work last week - the tricky bit is finding good, reliable people willing to work for what the venue pays. A small, but vital point. I've almost convinced myself it's damn near impossible, which wouldn't be too far from the truth.

I'll try negotiating.. if that doesn't get any results I'll just call it quits when they owe me the least back pay. I don't like burning bridges but if that's how it has to be..

Doubting your own worth is always a touchy subject & one for the philosophers. I don't subscribe to the 'You'll never get that around here' schtick, but I've never been very good at marketing. Self doubt again? Heh.

Lately I've been trying to put my finger on what's changed since I came back last October. I've filled in loads of gaps in my music knowledge (still not enough - there can never be enough of that, surely) - I do 'proper' introductions now (though still not out of the booth - venue no likey) - and since taking over the residency I wear a suit to every gig. Back before I quit, I had something of an attitude problem. Requests = pests. Argy customers got both barrels every time. I wasn't a happy bunny. Now, I just do my best to fit in whatever is reasonably asked (as any good venue/mobile DJ should IMHO) and try to defuse argy customers by being incessantly charming (well trying to be at least). I make comments about rude customers after work but I won't hold a grudge. Older, mellower... or just wiser?

If our paths cross at BPM this year, feel free to ask about how I actually came to the end of my employ at my last club residency. I made sure to delete it from my blog a while ago.. hem.

Regarding value/earnings.. I've been asked to quote for a couple of private bookings recently - nothing to do with anybody I've met at the hotel.. and I've shot out a figure of £250 right off the bat. For somebody of my experience & knowhow starting a business on their own, that's a reasonable figure I think. Maybe high for a complete newbie, but a complete newbie I ain't.

The first quote was through my sister. She'd helped arrange a friend's engagement party recently - I didn't know anybody who was local enough or available then, so they got Sid's sister in. Even with a playlist chock full of great tunes she died a DEATH & the party went really badly because she didn't have a clue what she was doing (sister's words). Now they're looking for a different DJ to do their wedding but when my price was quoted they recoiled in shock. Silly people I know - I'm not going to lose any sleep over missing out on that one - I mean - they paid somebody who was completely & utterly more than half that.. but somehow £250 for somebody really good is over the odds?!

Pretty much the same thing for the friends of my sister inlaw who are turning 40 this year. And they're the ones who cited ME as the reason they always chose to come to the club I worked when they could've gone to a cheaper place around the corner. £250, between 3 of them? Peanuts!

I would happily have paid £250 or more for a half-decent DJ at my own wedding, had I known the resident was going to be so crap.

Oh, and there's my neighbour, who's stated an interest in booking me for his daughter's 60th next year. He seems less keen now he knows what it's going to cost, and he even used to be a DJ himself!

And yet, despite these recent instances I'm still willing to go right in & say "TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY QUID" for starters.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    And yet, despite these recent instances I'm still willing to go right in & say "TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY QUID" for starters.
    Ooooh a pricing thread

I think several times now about whether I can be bothered to quote for £250 (and I'm not being big headed or waving my gentleman vegetables around....I'm a part timer like you so can afford to pick and choose. I realise that some on here are full time and £250 can make the difference between eating and starving so please don't take that statement the wrong way). I might soon be full time at this, and if that becomes the case then £250 against not going out will be very welcome.

This time last year, I thought that was a damned good fee to get (and believe me....I went out for a lot less as well just to fill the diary after 18 years out of the game). At the start of this year, something clicked and I started to market myself better, talk to clients a lot more confidently (never, ever be ashamed for charging what you consider to be a reasonable fee), and now I'm normally a minimum of £350 for the night......people are still taking my hand off (unless they're from NaD in which case they're mainly spitting coffee at their iPads and going and talking to Sid....hey ho).

Last year, potential clients used to call with the "how much do you cost" line and I'd embarrassingly quote them between £200 and £250 for the night waiting to justify the rejection. I don't do that any more. I've learned to sell myself before giving any hint of the price (after of course, first establishing what said customer needs, even if they don't yet know what it is they need ).

It all comes with practice and confidence. You've been in this game long enough to know what you're doing, and you're gaining that confidence all the time (hence, proper announcements etc.).

Something somebody once said to me which made me realise something important.....look at the type of mobile phone the customer's using. 9 times out of 10, I'll wager it's got a half eaten fruit on the back of it. Why did the customer pick one of those overpriced handsets compared to one of the plethora of cheaper alternatives which do exactly the same thing? Try asking a customer with a price objection that question and see where it leads . Possible answers will include quality (you're a quality disco set-up aren't you?), reliability (you turn up to every gig and issue contracts don't you?), the look and feel (you've just spent loads of money on a new set-up haven't you?), ease of use (is your customer service up to scratch? Do you tailor your service to suit their needs?).....see where I'm coming from? It's a case of finding out their objections and countering them.

Or another way to look at it....I've already booked up New Year's Eve for a local leisure centre at a price I'm more than happy with. I told them that my normal price is £650 for NYE (that's what I got last year with overtime), but as they're literally 5 minutes from home and the kit store's between them and my bed, I discounted it by a little bit, still expecting them to hold up their hands in shock (it's still early for NYE bookings so wasn't too bothered if I got this one or not). Their reaction....if I get £650 normally, I must be good so can we book you please!

There will ALWAYS be customers that only want to pay the cheapest possible price (as Peter's already mentioned earlier in this thread). How many of us are prepared to pay over the odds for car/van/kit insurance? Or petrol/diesel? You just have to appreciate that they're possibly not your customer and there will be people out there more than willing to service their price band. Yes, some of them as you've already mentioned are Sids and do an awful job (I've witnessed them first hand!). The customer will hopefully learn from that experience for the next time. Having said that, I know bargain basement DJ's that are brilliant at what they do. I also know top charging DJ's that are absolutely hopeless.

I'm already putting my prices up again for next year. I believe the service and professionalism I provide is worthy of the fee (and probably more - especially since I'm now starting to go more and more for weddings and all that entails at times). I bend over backwards for all of my clients, and that I think is a big selling point for me and it shows in the feedback I get.

Phew - I went on a bit there
    What I'm trying to say is, don't be afraid to charge a reasonable fee for what you do. The more DJ's that charge a "proper" price, the easier it becomes for all of us.

By the way......I only paid £200 for my wedding disco - back in 1999, so there's a bit of a comparison for you

Yeah it's kind of descended into a pricing thread.. gah.

Anyhoo, I'm not (I think) shy of doing the selling thing - and bear in mind I've not actually spoken to the prospective customers I've given quotes to. I've offered to go & see the couple who are getting married to talk to them.. I might yet hear back from that but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm not losing any sleep over not getting those bookings. What's going to be interesting is what happens when people who asked for my business card at my hotel gigs call me up. They've been there & seen the whole thing. Is it worth that? I think it's a good place to start.

I'll also add here that whatever my going rate for a private gig would be, YES I'd knock off a good percentage for solid, regular residency work - but still not in the kind of volume this place is giving out.

EDIT: also add that I've not actually got much experience at doing the selling thing. That'll come. I'm certainly not shy of trying to eke out what customers actually want - now I've got access to them before most of my upcoming gigs (woohoo!)
    Last edited by Nakatomi; 18-08-2015 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    The only way you’ll get a higher fee is by asking for it, and if it’s a hobby what have you got to lose?
    Im not exactly sure its his hobby, and part time second income is necessary to some in this day and age so he stands the chance to lose it.
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/discocouture

The hotel in which Justin works is very typical of many hotels in the region - they pay a low rate because there are a multitude of others willing to do the work at this price. I've had two similar residencies with similar prices and they dont court loyalty. Justin is lucky that his is offering very regular work.

If he leaves there will be someone else along 5 mins later to snap it up so he has to ask if its making him comfortable.
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/discocouture

I have to agree with what has been said already and in particular where someone (can't remember who...sorry) said that on the forum you come across well. If that is transferred to how you work then you're easily worth more than what you are being paid. I certainly didn't expect a figure like that!
    As many know already, I don't get into pricing. I don't publish prices and I don't discuss pricing that often.

When it comes to residencies I guess I am pretty lucky judging by some of the figures that I have read on here past and present.
    The thing with residencies is that THEY know they have you where they want you most of the time. They can offer you loads of bookings throughout the year, especially at Christmas and they know you know that too. Past experience with one particular residency (where I also had a contract too) tells me that they are always looking to save money so can replace you "just like that".

One of my residencies now, the guy I deal with is straight down the line. He is not bothered about anyone else because he is more than happy with the service that is provided by myself and anyone that works on my behalf. He is also a firm believer in fairness and can't understand why the venue will take a cut for not doing anything in reality. This happens a lot in the hotel industry so if the DJ is getting paid (for example - £250.00) then the hotel is pricing the Disco up at £350.00. The customer is paying £100.00 over the odds just because the hotel are hosts. In my case a lot of the time the hotel will let the customer deal with me directly so I save them some money. They'll send them my way.

Like I said, I am probably lucky. It could be difficult asking for more money in your case (when you know you're worth it and it is likely they know too) because they can just get someone else in easily. I guess you need to work out if (for example) 20 bookings throughout the year at £*** is worth doing whether you do them all or you have someone working on your behalf. I get around 30 bookings per year (that includes Christmas) at my residency and I have a figure in my head that I would drop to that would still make it worth my while supplying them. They won't say anything about the pricing, I'm more than confident of that BUT if they did then I have a plan ready. If they suggested a stupidly low price (in my opinion anyway) then I'd happily walk away because I know I'd be worth more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Attack the Dance Floor View Post
    Im not exactly sure its his hobby, and part time second income is necessary to some in this day and age so he stands the chance to lose it.
    I probably should’ve quoted this when I made that comment.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    I don't need to earn any more than what one booking a fortnight at a decent rate would pay. This is a paid hobby,.

But you’re right, for many it’s a much needed secondary source of income, but if it’s not then it gives you a bit of room to try different marketing and pricing experiments with no real financial impact, which is a great position to be in if you’re looking at developing it into a business.