Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My residency - what would you do?

In under 12 months I've done more than 30 gigs for this place. Last month I did ten. This month it's eleven. September is another 11. October, I think there are six. That's a number I'm more happy with.

I should be doing less if I want some kind of quality of life. It isn't just the time at gigs either. About half of the weddings I need to spend at least an hour for each one sorting music. A lot of it is esoteric stuff & it tends to turn out like the night would've been much less without it. I don't just plonk music in a folder. I listen to it all so I can see where it'd fit.

I've learned the importance of talking to the customer before the event too, but on this pay grade there's no way I'm meeting with them in person before the gig. The hourly rate is low enough as it is.

I'm going on holiday next May. Just for a week. Who's going to cover that?

You'll overtake me on total gigs in no time at that rate.
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/discocouture

Quote Originally Posted by Attack the Dance Floor View Post
    You'll overtake me on total gigs in no time at that rate.
    I don't want to overtake anybody. 3 a month at a reasonable fee, on dates I pick would be more right for me. I don't want to be the guy who drops down dead from being the world's busiest part-time DJ.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Sit down with the venue.

You are a one man operation who has commitments away from the venue too. You are willing to scout for and vet other DJ's for you to pass on the work to who will work to the same standards that you do, but that would entail the venue digging deeper. Whether they offset that by charging their clients more is up to them - peanuts and monkeys, and all that.

It may end in a decision you don't want, but it's better to try now than later when you're really struggling and could end up in a position where you cannot take do a gig.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Sit down with the venue.

You are a one man operation who has commitments away from the venue too. You are willing to scout for and vet other DJ's for you to pass on the work to who will work to the same standards that you do, but that would entail the venue digging deeper. Whether they offset that by charging their clients more is up to them - peanuts and monkeys, and all that.

It may end in a decision you don't want, but it's better to try now than later when you're really struggling and could end up in a position where you cannot take do a gig.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

So I kind of have a plan now.

I've been reading up on how to open a discussion about prices & I'll see where I end up when the manager is back.

I'm led to believe the bar take has increased since I took it on proper but coincidences like that have peppered my career to date. What a compliment - I'm driving em to drink! not necessarily a good point to argue my case on though.

Is 3 months enough of a track record? Time will tell. I may end up on NAD sooner than I anticipated.

Thanks for all your input folks

Cant add much to this except to wish you good luck. It never hurts to discuss pay and workload with your customer. At the end o the day I am sure they want you to do a good job fo them and a rise is good and also they may well realize that overworking you may be detrimental. Others immediately jumped on the entrepreneurial band wagon of you employing someone to cover the gigs you don't want to do but also why not think about a partnership with another disco you can trust who would do any gigs you didn't want to cover and also fill in for holidays etc. Not all other discos are assasins.
    Banana Power Travelling Discotheque - legendary entertainment since 1966
    www.facebook.com/BananaPowerTravellingDisco