Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Truss Podium questions/opinions

Default Truss Podium questions/opinions

#1 What would you consider to be the ideal size's for a pair of truss podium, I notice they seem to vary from 1M to 2.5M. My own opinion is 1.5M and 2M seem to be the most useful heights, anyone got a different opinion, and why?
    #2 This one I think is best suited for Benny, regarding Quad Truss, transporting this tends to be a problem unless you have a LWB van, so are podiums constructed from 2 x 'Ladder' sections the way to go? are they stable as they are, or do they need to be cross braced?
    #3 Obviously they look better illuminated, but assuming you truss is cosmetically good, do you favour the 'bare truss look' or do you prefer the lycra type covers?
    #4 finally, assuming a 2M podium and a Mac250 size moving head, what size base plate would you feel secure in using?

All opinions welcomed
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    #1 What would you consider to be the ideal size's for a pair of truss podium, I notice they seem to vary from 1M to 2.5M. My own opinion is 1.5M and 2M seem to be the most useful heights, anyone got a different opinion, and why?
    1.5m and 2m are the sizes that I use. I don't see the value of the 1m plinths (excuse me sir whilst I light up your crotch) and bearing in mind that height is sometimes at a premium, I don't think you'd get a lot of use from the 2.5m.

#2 This one I think is best suited for Benny, regarding Quad Truss, transporting this tends to be a problem unless you have a LWB van, so are podiums constructed from 2 x 'Ladder' sections the way to go? are they stable as they are, or do they need to be cross braced?
    Have a chat with Dave Reed from RSD. I bought the 2m truss plinths and the 1.5m truss plinths from there. Each plinth comes with a 'heavier than most plinths' base plate (which makes it more sturdy), a top plate and two ladders. They also come with a lighting fixture with them too. To transport them, Dave sells a bag for the plates (which will hold two base plates and two top plates) and the ladders get transported in these (in their respective sizes, of course). I have a SWB Trafic and they fit in just fine.

#3 Obviously they look better illuminated, but assuming you truss is cosmetically good, do you favour the 'bare truss look' or do you prefer the lycra type covers?
    Very subjective. That one will have to be your decision, I'm afraid. I'm an advocate of bare as I think it looks better.

#4 finally, assuming a 2M podium and a Mac250 size moving head, what size base plate would you feel secure in using?
    See above.

Thanks Benny, you've pretty much confirmed my own opinions.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Thanks Benny, you've pretty much confirmed my own opinions.
    Great minds, and all that.