Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How do I look?

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    I can see your point with the white space.....BUT
    Do you know where the majority of your website traffic is coming from?

If you're anything like me, 90% (yes....90%!) is coming from a fruit orientated device so aim at making it look good on those, and you're very much onto a winner.
    Hence the need for responsive sites, but just slap a touchy theme on & to hell with everyone else.

I don't own an iDevice so can only simulate how it looks & feels on such a thing. I think it does ok on that level. A lot better than a lot of disco sites I've looked at.

For what it's worth I don't have any traffic to speak of yet. I want to get the site ready before starting a campaign proper.
    Last edited by Nakatomi; 21-08-2015 at 12:10 PM.

So sat with the son for 5 and here are our points

The banner I would make stretch the full screen as the white borders are harsh - also the gaps at top and bottom should probably match the gap on the j between the dot.

The menu might look better central and try filling the space rather than an even word justification

In time higher quality photos will improve the look - but dont we all want these.

The bullet points should have a min of 1.5 line spacing and either punctuate or dont - half is poor and it should be a ; if its a list. I prefer none unless its a CV

1 line sentences look out of place next to a paragraph - bulk it or lose it.

might sound really picky but the page is encapsulated with the dotty circle - make it the same size top and bottom

or tell me to bog off lol - also expand your range mate
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/discocouture

I can see your point with the white space.....BUT
    Do you know where the majority of your website traffic is coming from?

If you're anything like me, 90% (yes....90%!) is coming from a fruit orientated device so aim at making it look good on those, and you're very much onto a winner.
    I agree that many hits on my analytics come from the mobile market so having the mobile site is a must.
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/discocouture

Quote Originally Posted by Attack the Dance Floor View Post
    So sat with the son for 5 and here are our points

The banner I would make stretch the full screen as the white borders are harsh - also the gaps at top and bottom should probably match the gap on the j between the dot.

The menu might look better central and try filling the space rather than an even word justification

In time higher quality photos will improve the look - but dont we all want these.

The bullet points should have a min of 1.5 line spacing and either punctuate or dont - half is poor and it should be a ; if its a list. I prefer none unless its a CV

1 line sentences look out of place next to a paragraph - bulk it or lose it.

might sound really picky but the page is encapsulated with the dotty circle - make it the same size top and bottom

or tell me to bog off lol - also expand your range mate
    The locations covered thing is a placeholder for now. And SEO hell. Very very bad but loads of people do it.

I'll only be willing to travel 40-45 mins in any direction but that still makes my catchment area pretty darn big.

Yes I know I'm waiting for some decent photos. The ones of the brilliant wedding in July I hooked up with a tog for are poorly composed. I don't want half a hand or shoulder in my website images! I tried taking photos last night with my bridge camera & frankly the stills from my phones videos are better!

My dad has a decent dslr. Time to borrow it, but I think I might just have to use stock photos or they'll all be of the same venue (yawn!)
    Last edited by Nakatomi; 21-08-2015 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    The locations covered thing is a placeholder for now. And SEO hell. Very very bad but loads of people do it.

I'll only be willing to travel 40-45 mins in any direction but that still makes my catchment area pretty darn big.
    Locations (or better still, VENUES) are a brilliant little SEO trick
    I have a page of venues I've been to, all linking through to a specific page for said venue detailing what I've done, a rig/party shot where available and various other little snippets the punters might be interested in.

What good is it though?

Search Gooooooogle for said venue and if your SEO and indexing are up to scratch, you'll appear in the search for that venue as a mobile disco
    Trust me, it works a treat

Locations (or better still, VENUES) are a brilliant little SEO trick
    I have a page of venues I've been to, all linking through to a specific page for said venue detailing what I've done, a rig/party shot where available and various other little snippets the punters might be interested in.

What good is it though?

Search Gooooooogle for said venue and if your SEO and indexing are up to scratch, you'll appear in the search for that venue as a mobile disco
    Trust me, it works a treat
    Ah then I guess if you're not just keyword loading it IS a good idea then.

This is beginning to look like a chicken & egg scenario. Mostly only worked one venue, only one testimonial.... Heh

Quote Originally Posted by Attack the Dance Floor View Post
    I agree that many hits on my analytics come from the mobile market so having the mobile site is a must.
    My site is responsive. No need for a 'mobile' site at all. Less work in the long run.

1.5 lines spacing seems a lot. I tightened up all the CSS in the theme I used a lot.

Ah then I guess if you're not just keyword loading it IS a good idea then.

This is beginning to look like a chicken & egg scenario. Mostly only worked one venue, only one testimonial.... Heh
    You'll get them eventually. I've only got 18 month's worth, but it's growing all the time (and I don't list the venues I didn't particularly like).

Remember, Google wants to be the best search engine on the planet. To that end, all it wants to do it return results the user is looking for, i.e. RELEVANT to their search in a big way.

So as you rightly say, keyword stuffing on pages is a big no-no (Google knows what you're up to on that score). By all means get the words in there, BUT make them look natural to a human reader and Google won't have a problem with them. By putting on venue pages, it gives the site more content (more pages = more index entries = more chance of showing up....so long as the pages are all unique in their content), it gives the site ever changing content (Google likes new content being added), and it obviously shows potential customers that you've got knowledge of their chosen venue if you've already been there.

It does require a lot of ongoing work (I make changes to my content on an almost daily basis), but that's unfortunately part of the marketing game we're in now.

And while on the subject of your website UkPartyDJ, there's a pretty nasty typo on your site. Check the 'about' page.

Oh, and in your tags you have 'wedding/cival'.

Anyway back on topic, I don't know much about successful web copy yet & there's going to be many a tweak taking place. Some small, some very big!

Thanks for the input so far!
    Thanks... I spotted 3 mistakes ... whoops! Good job nobody looks at that page haha!
    And yes I still have wedding/cival as a tag in my reviews, very inconvenient for me this whole legalisation gay marriage etc, didn't think of me when they did that did they! Had to change my wedding/cival page completely!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    Thanks... I spotted 3 mistakes ... whoops! Good job nobody looks at that page haha!
    And yes I still have wedding/cival as a tag in my reviews, very inconvenient for me this whole legalisation gay marriage etc, didn't think of me when they did that did they! Had to change my wedding/cival page completely!
    I think he meant Civil being spelt incorrectly.