Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do I look?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    I think he meant Civil being spelt incorrectly.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by Attack the Dance Floor View Post
    So sat with the son for 5 and here are our points

The banner I would make stretch the full screen as the white borders are harsh - also the gaps at top and bottom should probably match the gap on the j between the dot.
    I'm getting onto that.
    The menu might look better central and try filling the space rather than an even word justification
    I consider that a good point - one I've considered playing with already
    In time higher quality photos will improve the look - but dont we all want these.
    It's gonna take more than time. A better camera, and a better camera operator are needed
    The bullet points should have a min of 1.5 line spacing and either punctuate or dont - half is
    poor and it should be a ; if its a list. I prefer none unless its a CV
    Bloody hell somebody's got an eye for details. Easy fix though!
    1 line sentences look out of place next to a paragraph - bulk it or lose it.
    Even as I was typing it out I thought it looked a bit off but couldn't put my finger on it.
    might sound really picky but the page is encapsulated with the dotty circle - make it the same size top and bottom
    Picky? I find myself agreeing with you.
    or tell me to bog off lol - also expand your range mate
    Hey, I asked didn't I? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    I don't own an iDevice so can only simulate how it looks & feels on such a thing.

How to Use Mobile Emulation Mode in Chrome

Already on that line Marc

Seems to work as anticipated.

Got some great photos of a daylight dance off I might be able to use. There's no getting away from the fact I'm going to need stock photos in the beginning though.

Anyway.

I've taken a lot of comments on board. Now my 'about' page is much less 'life story/Cv' and all about what's so brilliant about me.

I sorted the spacing issues out a fair bit more & I think it looks better generally.

I've got another 'focus group' looking through it but I dunno, it still seems to me I'm lacking a lot of stuff - things that'd make me keen as a customer - feedback from previous clients is a chicken & egg thing at this stage in a businesses life isn't it?

Time I think to get my plugin head on & make a survey for happy customers to complete.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Time I think to get my plugin head on & make a survey for happy customers to complete.
    I tend to send an email post-gig and say something along the lines of "Just wanted to say thanks for letting me be part of your day, I hope you and your guests had a good time and I wish you both all the best." If there is feedback to be given, they'll reply with it!

I've not checked out the site yet as I have been swamped. I will have a nosey now though.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Ok, here are my thoughts (and bear in mind it is my subjective, uneducated opinion!):

- I actually like the pictures on the homepage. The composition of them is actually good, but just let down by the image quality. For the meantime though, I'd be happy enough to keep them there.
    - I think you say a bit too much on the homepage. I've always been told that give them a teaser on the homepage and give them a reason to click around.
    - I would put your bottom banner above your list of pages and locations covered.
    - Start Tweeting and Facebooking ASAP. Bulk them with pics that you have. I've just clicked on your Twitter and immediately thought "Ugh!"
    - Under weddings, you use the phrase "I'm not much of a mind reader." You said it in a positive way, but I still felt a twang of negativity from that. Maybe that's just me.
    - Again, under Birthdays you use "It’s unfortunate, but some tracks may hold less than happy memories and it’s important to me that they have no part in your event. Let me have a list of ‘banned’ songs & I’ll make sure they won’t be played." Instead of focusing on those epic tracks that you love from days gone by, it's focusing on the negative aspects of it.
    - I'd personally refer to yourself as Justin throughout the website. I get that Mr. Deejay is the brand, but as has been said a million times on this forum already - people buy people.
    - Don't mention your residency. If somebody is getting married at that venue, and you quote £500 but the venue pimp your services out for £300, they'll go for the cheaper option 'cos it's the same guy anyway. If you take that info out, you could advocate why they should pay X to you directly over paying for a resident they know nothing about.
    - As bad as this sounds, might be an idea to start making some testimonials up as filler...

Cheers Benny. I'll rejig things around to squish the negativity later today.

A good DJ I may be, but a marketing whiz I ain't. I'm a complete noob.

The thought of padding testimonials had already crossed my mind... I wouldn't be the first & I maybe wouldn't feel so guilty since people DO actually say nice things about me. Well to my face anyway!

I'll set about whipping up a post event quiz & send that to the most recent customers I have email addresses for. That might help.

This is still a bit ‘DJ speak’ in my opinion

The years I served as a bar & club DJ taught me a lot about how to provide continuous music while navigating different musical styles and still providing great customer service. I can mix to a very high standard, whether I’m playing chart, house, trance, RnB, disco, rock, rock & roll or soul but the most important thing is always knowing what to play next and how to get to the next requested track.

I’m very comfortable using a microphone, so you can be assured any announcements made will be clearly heard.

Try rewriting phrases like 'Navigate different musical styles’ to something like 'playing all your favourite tunes’.

‘Your favourite tunes’ makes it about them, it’ll get them thinking about what they would want you to play (and it sounds fun, like a party should be) - ‘navigating different musical styles’ is about you and doesn’t conjure up a party in the minds eye (or ear).

I’d drop all the mixing references from the home page and just have a few lines about what you cover ‘Weddings, Birthdays...' etc and that you can play all styles of music from 'Rock’n’Roll to the latest Club floor fillers’ and then a 'Contact Me on...’ call to action.

Mixing and your bar and club experience would be better if you had it in a separate section about playing in a club style where the people interested in reading it would understand what it means.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    This is still a bit ‘DJ speak’ in my opinion

The years I served as a bar & club DJ taught me a lot about how to provide continuous music while navigating different musical styles and still providing great customer service. I can mix to a very high standard, whether I’m playing chart, house, trance, RnB, disco, rock, rock & roll or soul but the most important thing is always knowing what to play next and how to get to the next requested track.

I’m very comfortable using a microphone, so you can be assured any announcements made will be clearly heard.

Try rewriting phrases like 'Navigate different musical styles’ to something like 'playing all your favourite tunes’.

‘Your favourite tunes’ makes it about them, it’ll get them thinking about what they would want you to play (and it sounds fun, like a party should be) - ‘navigating different musical styles’ is about you and doesn’t conjure up a party in the minds eye (or ear).

I’d drop all the mixing references from the home page and just have a few lines about what you cover ‘Weddings, Birthdays...' etc and that you can play all styles of music from 'Rock’n’Roll to the latest Club floor fillers’ and then a 'Contact Me on...’ call to action.

Mixing and your bar and club experience would be better if you had it in a separate section about playing in a club style where the people interested in reading it would understand what it means.
    Thanks again. Though now I've got a Vic Reeves earworm (in a club style)...

I've tweaked some more & it looks like I'm going to have to mangle the theme to try moving the banner currently residing at the bottom of the page. Maybe the header & footer would work better if they were fixed position items. I'll give that a go too.