Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How do I look?

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Thanks again. Though now I've got a Vic Reeves earworm (in a club style)...

I've tweaked some more & it looks like I'm going to have to mangle the theme to try moving the banner currently residing at the bottom of the page. Maybe the header & footer would work better if they were fixed position items. I'll give that a go too.
    You can’t go wrong with a bit of Vic...

It reads much more public friendly now, and at some point it just becomes a difference in style rather than better - for example I’d phrase this:

'The years I’ve spent as a DJ have taught me everything I know about how to provide an excellent service – not just with the music I play but in my whole outlook towards an event’

more like this:

With many years of experience I pride myself on my excellent customer service, not only playing great music for you and your guests on the night itself but from the very first time you contact me I’ll be helping you plan a fantastic party.

Anyway.

I've taken a lot of comments on board. Now my 'about' page is much less 'life story/Cv' and all about what's so brilliant about me.
    Hmmm.....I have my own opinions on "about" pages

I was always taught that "people buy people", and my about page actually goes through a bit of history (embarrassingly, it also has a photo of me as well which I really should update). I've had a lot of clients say that reading about me and seeing that I'm a real person with a bit of history helped them to make their decision to book.

Mine's not written in a corporate, selling type of way. It's done in plain English so that it comes across as me personally talking to the client....it seems to work (or at least for my clients)

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Hmmm.....I have my own opinions on "about" pages

I was always taught that "people buy people", and my about page actually goes through a bit of history (embarrassingly, it also has a photo of me as well which I really should update). I've had a lot of clients say that reading about me and seeing that I'm a real person with a bit of history helped them to make their decision to book.

Mine's not written in a corporate, selling type of way. It's done in plain English so that it comes across as me personally talking to the client....it seems to work (or at least for my clients)
    So many people about me pages don't have any photos of the guy who will be there.
    Especially for weddings people want to see what they are getting.

Photographers are the worst which is quite ironic as they are the one group of people that can get a good shot.
    This is on our meet the team section LOL. I really need to get one when everyone is all together, but it seldom happens.
    Its a shame my wife looks a bit fat in this one

Name:  2015_05_24_185942-85.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  45.6 KB
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I've got a perfect face for radio but I'm still planning on spending some time in a portrait studio so I'm not just another faceless DJ service.

If you claim to be proud of what you do, back it up by putting yourself on your site Imho

I have a photo of myself on my website on the 'Meet the DJ' page. I also interviewed myself to give people an idea of what I am like.
    Unfortunately I look like Phil Mitchell from Eastenders in the photo but it hasn't put people off booking me (I don't think so anyway).

EDIT : Just reading back through the thread - I think an 'About Me' or 'Meet the DJ' page is a great thing to have on a website. Like I said above, I actually interviewed myself and I was laughing and was slightly embarrassed when I was doing it but I see it as a plus point. The customer kind of gets to know you in advance. If you have that and then either talk to them on the phone when they enquire or provide them with as much information as possible with reference to quotations and what they get for their money, the way you work etc.....Well, I think the chances of them booking you are pretty high.

Lastly, Toby.....you do make me laugh mate. You have such a way with words!
    Last edited by Shakermaker Promotions; 25-08-2015 at 07:42 AM.

I've got a perfect face for radio but I'm still planning on spending some time in a portrait studio so I'm not just another faceless DJ service.

If you claim to be proud of what you do, back it up by putting yourself on your site Imho
    I think the one on here is great, it looks friendly, honest and real.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    I have a photo of myself on my website on the 'Meet the DJ' page. I also interviewed myself to give people an idea of what I am like.
    Unfortunately I look like Phil Mitchell from Eastenders in the photo but it hasn't put people off booking me (I don't think so anyway).
    Lastly, Toby.....you do make me laugh mate. You have such a way with words!
    I would say a love child of Grant and Phil.
    It's hard isn't it to get a good photo. A natural one off Facebook is always good.
    i would always say get someone else (a woman) to choose one.

There is a local DJ to me, who has a photo and he looks like a thug. Why would you post a photo of you scowling LOL.
    Maybe some clients like that.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Proper hooligan

I was lucky enough to be sent some photo's last night of me being my brother in law's best man. They're some of the few photo's I've ever seen of me actually smiling (which I do all the time in real life, just not in front of a camera as I hate having my photo taken). A little cropping later, it's now on my about page

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    I would say a love child of Grant and Phil.
    It's hard isn't it to get a good photo. A natural one off Facebook is always good.
    My missus took the one of me at around 3.00am on New Years Day after I had DJ'd. I think it looks natural and I'd rather that then a scripted or thought out cheesy pose if that makes sense.

I'd be interested to see what I look like when I'm actually working at my controller. I wonder if any photo taken then would be suitable for public consumption.

There's video somebody took of me at a wedding last month when I was beavering away in a fast paced dance off mix.. I'd absolutely love to see that dslr footage.

This is one area where having a minion is going to help I think

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Studio pictures>Facebook pictures.