Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truss podium/plinth for Chauvet 355z moving heads - Global Truss F34 or F24

Default Truss podium/plinth for Chauvet 355z moving heads - Global Truss F34 or F24

Hello everyone

As the title suggests I want to purchase truss/plinths for my Chauvet 355z moving heads. I have decided the 1.5m height is the balance after factoring in transportation issues.

The standard size is the F34 but am wondering about the F24. It seems cheaper and lighter but is it too small?

Any comments or opinions from those who have used or seen it are welcome.

Any suggestions for alternatives at this price point or cheaper are also welcome.

Thanks

I am also interested in this.

I found somewhere that F24 is decorative, but I would only be using it for light loads. And it's *much* cheaper.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

You'll need to factor in the weight of your movers. Aren't they about 13kg? My Chauvet movers are about 13kg and I'd rather they were sitting on something sturdier.

OK, had a look at technical specs, and seems the F24 is totally fine for mobile DJ work: http://globaltruss.de/out/media/datasheet_F24_E(2).pdf

I'm not planning on hanging speakers etc from it as well as lighting - so unless I've totally misunderstood it, there's plenty of capability, even for a light show with say 6 moving heads on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    You'll need to factor in the weight of your movers. Aren't they about 13kg? My Chauvet movers are about 13kg and I'd rather they were sitting on something sturdier.
    The Chauvet 355z is 12.4kg. Can you elaborate on what you mean by sturdier please?

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    OK, had a look at technical specs, and seems the F24 is totally fine for mobile DJ work: http://globaltruss.de/out/media/datasheet_F24_E(2).pdf

I'm not planning on hanging speakers etc from it as well as lighting - so unless I've totally misunderstood it, there's plenty of capability, even for a light show with say 6 moving heads on it.
    Thanks for the data sheet link. I checked it out and spec wise they seem strong enough. Im not surprised as I have seen moving heads on speaker stands before so a truss of any sort is surely stronger. What I am curious about is the real world issues - is it just too small aesthetically for large moving heads like the Chauvet 350 and 355z at 1.5m or 2m height? Any problems with uplighting, base plates and truss covers? Any advantages?

An advantage I have already identified is that it uses 35mm tubes which are the same as standard speaker stands meaning half couplers and snap couplers are the same size for both.

Hope you guys can share pros and cons from your experiences,

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I suggest you read the load table again, if you were to hang 6 x 13kg (78kg) moving heads from the F24 truss, you would be limited to a truss span of around 3.5 M before you reached its SWL. If you're using the truss as podiums the loading becomes a compression load and as such, would be totally adequate for an average moving head, BUT the small footprint of the truss base would result in it only having a small lean angle before it's centre of gravity moved outside it's base perimeter, and subsequently falling over.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    I suggest you read the load table again, if you were to hang 6 x 13kg (78kg) moving heads from the F24 truss, you would be limited to a truss span of around 3.5 M before you reached its SWL. If you're using the truss as podiums the loading becomes a compression load and as such, would be totally adequate for an average moving head, BUT the small footprint of the truss base would result in it only having a small lean angle before it's centre of gravity moved outside it's base perimeter, and subsequently falling over.
    I think podiums are ideally put together a wide heavy base plate like the the global truss 80 x 80 multi baseplate (pricey!). If a f34 and f24 have the same size wider baseplate and a identical moving head on top, are they not going to have the same maximum lean angle before tipping over? Of course I totally understand if you mean just the standard baseplate roughly the same size as the truss (F34 is wider) but I think that is not a safe size for a base,

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    I suggest you read the load table again, if you were to hang 6 x 13kg (78kg) moving heads from the F24 truss, you would be limited to a truss span of around 3.5 M before you reached its SWL.
    I would never have enough space for 3.5m... 2m is about the max I'd be looking at to ensure it's suitable for all venues.

So for most mobile work, the F24 seems fine.

If I'm reading this right, you're going to use the truss as a plinth to put the heads on, not as truss to suspend them?

As a few have said, if you're using it as plinth, then you need to consider the compressive load on the truss and the size of the base to prevent it from falling over. If you're using it as truss, then you need to look at the maximum load ratings. From memory the F14 truss is the decorative one. From memory the maximum loads on the F24 truss are enough to support my weight several times over.

I've got 2 lengths of the F24 truss (as I can see you've spotted on my old thread) and it's fine for using as plinths for putting my movers on. Bear in mind though that my movers are LED fixtures, have a small base and weigh in at about 5Kg each, not 13Kg. I would think though that this would just have a bearing on the size and weight of the baseplate you need to make it stable as the truss itself will easily withstand the compressive and bending forces from this weight of fixture.

Cosmetically, I've always found the F24 fine. The F34 and F33 stuff does have a certain "chunkyness" to it which is appealing, but the price and storage/transport size of the F24 stuff made the decision for me.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography