Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Truss podium/plinth for Chauvet 355z moving heads - Global Truss F34 or F24

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by soundsalarming View Post
    The Chauvet 355z is 12.4kg. Can you elaborate on what you mean by sturdier please?
    Something a bit heavier (I mis-typed as well - my movers are closer to 15kg). As I mentioned in this thread the base plates I have a very heavy and the ladders are quite chunky too. My movers are heavy, fast and are £900 a pop, so I want something to be able to hold them without the slightest wobble. It's also worth considering dancers - when they bounce up and down, the plinths will wobble. Even mine wobble in that situation, but I feel confident enough that they'll stay upright.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    If I'm reading this right, you're going to use the truss as a plinth to put the heads on, not as truss to suspend them?

As a few have said, if you're using it as plinth, then you need to consider the compressive load on the truss and the size of the base to prevent it from falling over. If you're using it as truss, then you need to look at the maximum load ratings. From memory the F14 truss is the decorative one. From memory the maximum loads on the F24 truss are enough to support my weight several times over.

I've got 2 lengths of the F24 truss (as I can see you've spotted on my old thread) and it's fine for using as plinths for putting my movers on. Bear in mind though that my movers are LED fixtures, have a small base and weigh in at about 5Kg each, not 13Kg. I would think though that this would just have a bearing on the size and weight of the baseplate you need to make it stable as the truss itself will easily withstand the compressive and bending forces from this weight of fixture.

Cosmetically, I've always found the F24 fine. The F34 and F33 stuff does have a certain "chunkyness" to it which is appealing, but the price and storage/transport size of the F24 stuff made the decision for me.

Julian
    Excellent info - Thank you. My moving heads are LED too - just bigger.

Do you (or anyone else) know how to calculate the base size required for a 1.5m f24 plinth with a 13kg moving head on top of it? Or a link to a page that addresses base sizes.

Thanks

Can across this on an old ebay listing. 1.5m F24 truss plinth with 600 x 600 mdf base. what do you guys think of this setup? Is it safe?

Name:  $_57 (2).jpg
Views: 266
Size:  107.3 KBName:  $_57 (3).jpg
Views: 276
Size:  98.4 KB
    Last edited by soundsalarming; 25-08-2015 at 12:48 AM.

Can across this on an old ebay listing. 1.5m F24 truss plinth with 600 x 600 mdf base. what do you guys think of this setup? Is it safe?
    Well, it's what I'm using, but then my heads are only 3kg. For the weight of head you've got, I'd say no.

I did come across someone who went into the weight calculations many years ago, but I've no idea where now. It's basically about calculating the angle you'd need to get to before the whole lot went into freefall which is a case of looking at the weight you have on top vs the weight you have on the bottom. Google will probably come up with something...

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    Well, it's what I'm using, but then my heads are only 3kg. For the weight of head you've got, I'd say no.

I did come across someone who went into the weight calculations many years ago, but I've no idea where now. It's basically about calculating the angle you'd need to get to before the whole lot went into freefall which is a case of looking at the weight you have on top vs the weight you have on the bottom. Google will probably come up with something...

Julian
    Hello Julian (and everyone else)

So I got my truss uprights ages ago (August 2015) and they have sitting in their boxes as I was so busy (got married, did my own wedding setup - uplighting and all - not reccommended). I'm now looking to make wooden bases for them. You said you had something similar to the pics I posted in earlier post so hope you can help (or anyone else who knows).

How did you attach the connectors to the plywood?
    Are they the conical ones that come with the truss or did you buy the half conical?
    How thick is the plywood?

Thanks

How did you attach the connectors to the plywood?
    Are they the conical ones that come with the truss or did you buy the half conical?
    How thick is the plywood?
    Thanks
    I used 18mm exterior plywood around 600mm x 600mm square cut from 2 sheets of 2' x 4' purchased from Wickes, you would only need 1 sheet if you only have 2 bases to make. I used the half cones from the small standard base plates which were attached by drilling and countersinking 4 holes WITH THESE in the plywood and using 4 countersunk hex headed set screws around a little longer than he original screws similar to THESE I would have used 'Marine grade' plywood if any had been available locally it's less prone to distorting. Personally I think 600mm x 600mm bases are adequate for most LED moving heads, but you could always add extra weight to the bases if you considered it necessary. if you are unfortunate enough to have a pair of idiots kick off in front of your set-up, and they come crashing into your podiums, nothing short of bolting them to the floor is going to stop them falling over
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    I used 18mm exterior plywood around 600mm x 600mm square cut from 2 sheets of 2' x 4' purchased from Wickes, you would only need 1 sheet if you only have 2 bases to make. I used the half cones from the small standard base plates which were attached by drilling and countersinking 4 holes WITH THESE in the plywood and using 4 countersunk hex headed set screws around a little longer than he original screws similar to THESE I would have used 'Marine grade' plywood if any had been available locally it's less prone to distorting. Personally I think 600mm x 600mm bases are adequate for most LED moving heads, but you could always add extra weight to the bases if you considered it necessary. if you are unfortunate enough to have a pair of idiots kick off in front of your set-up, and they come crashing into your podiums, nothing short of bolting them to the floor is going to stop them falling over
    Excellent info! Thank you very much - I really appreciate it.

Had ordered 2 base plates for the top of the plinths and they are being delivered tomorrow. Seems I will have to order 2 more to get the half cones off them as they cost about the same as buying the cones alone (£25 for a base or 4 half cones at £6 each).

thanks again.