Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Biggest mistake you've made?

Default Biggest mistake you've made?

Every gig I go to, I always fear making a big mistake.

Turning up to the wrong venue, getting the date wrong, forgetting a crucial piece of equipment... all the thoughts that run through my head as I'm heading to the gig (even though I know I've double checked everything!)

But inevitably, it happens...

What's the biggest mistake you've made?

I've made some howlers in my time but I learned from them & lived to tell the tale.

My biggest ever mistake was probably letting a little bit of success go to my head. That was all a long time ago but very fresh in my memory. I was good & mad keen but I didn't know much. After a few too many people singing my praises a primadonna was born.

Now, much much older & much much wiser (I hope), even when the customer is utterly wrong they're right

My biggest mistake? I'm probably still making it now..........it's being far too trustworthy with people.
    I've helped people out in the past only to be shafted big time. I'd like to say you live and learn but unfortunately it's happened a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    My biggest mistake? I'm probably still making it now..........it's being far too trustworthy with people.
    I've helped people out in the past only to be shafted big time. I'd like to say you live and learn but unfortunately it's happened a few times.
    I’d say that was their mistake, not yours.

Trusting the wrong people is something that can happen to anyone. Trust nobody & you'll always be on your own. It's a two way street, as somebody told me recently

Oh Fun thread

i am usually uber careful but things do happen. Nothing recent that I can think of though

About 8 years ago I did not understand the specs of my Macbook G4 and bought another pro last min after it went kaput.
    Anyhow I played first dance And I could see that the loading dial was starting to be overtaken and all the sound went off.
    Being inexperienced I tried again, but ended up playing it on iTunes as well as the rest of the night.
    Bride and Groom were fine, although it definitely had a knock on effect on the night.

I pronounced a bride and grooms name as red (read) instead of reed.

Just 2 weeks back the bride was all ready to come down the aisle and pop the sound went dead.
    I quickly realised it was the mixer and managed to plug everything directly into the speaker.
    We were using a jack plug in mic so that was also dead easy. Phew - no one seemed to notice, which was the main thing.
    Its one of those stupid behringer power supplies - Why they decided to use them over a standard 12 volt one who knows.

I forgot my speakers (god knows how), but luckily I turned up well early and had some smaller ones.
    Put on background, went home and even had time for some dinner.

Hmm - can't think of any other balls ups. I have a back up for everything so if something does happen its rectified.
    Cant believe I have not made a massive mistake with the hosting yet as your really in the spotlight and its so easy to do.

One DJ i used to use made so many stupid little mistakes it was ridiculous!! God knows what colossal cockups he has made since!
    He once downloaded the first dance without an accapella, so when the vocals were meant to kick in they did not.
    Cant remember all the other ones as it was some time ago, but it was shocking!

He did not seem too give a stuff though, which was the worst part.
    Last edited by yourdj; 22-08-2015 at 05:53 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Played the wrong first dance song last year. My own fault for taking the word of the band. Nobody said anything at the time but the B&G gave me daggers all night long.

Played the wrong John Legend FD song last year. Was in a hurry during a room turnaround and someone from venue kept getting in the way. People coming through before I had chance to double check and I had John Legend in my head so thought it must be all of me. Turns out it wasn't, couple just carried on and were super lovely about it thankfully but I beat myself up a fair bit over that one.

Also said once Mr/Mrs Baker instead of Barker.

Mistakes happen, we're all human. Considering the sheer amount of weddings I've done it's not surprising really.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

I did a wrong song myself once, a few years ago when I was still gigging I took on a NYE gig at a pub/restaurant way out in the sticks, that had been closed down for 7 or 8 months and had just reopened in late December. Predictably it was virtually empty on the night despite a free buffet being on offer. On top of that, the age range of those who were there, was wide to say the least and I don't think I had more than 6 dancing at any one time, it really was that grim. Shortly after midnight, I had just one old couple left on the dance floor, I thought 'My Girl' by the Temptations was the ideal follow on track for them, and loaded it in in the Denon HD2500 I was using at the time. Anyone who has owned a HD2500 will know how rubbish they are in relation to the screen display being too small and too slow scrolling across. I had accidentally loaded My Girl by Madness, instead of the intended Temptations version and suffered the predictable embarrassing result, a totally empty floor. I still cringe when I think about it to this day. In hindsight, it was a fitting end to one of the worst gigs I have ever had the displeasure of having done
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Did a gig in the sticks of Cumbria.
    Saw these two bonny lasses dancing together so I got one of the other dj's to come with me to ask them for a dance.
    They said yes and we had a few dances with them but we weren't getting anywhere.
    So just left it there.
    Packed up the gear into the van.
    As we drove up the road we spotted the two girls again on the side of the road and they were kissing each other !
    My gaydar was well off that day.