Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Microphone Setup

Default Microphone Setup

On recent gigs I've found myself using two controllers to get the set up I want and I'm wondering if there is a simpler way of doing it. This set up has involved me using a Reloop Beatpad as my primary controller because I like the convenience of using an iPad rather than my MacBook. I then run this into channel 4 of a MC6000Mk2 so that I can use the mic input on this controller which has the benefit of bass/mid/treble control and microphone ducking. This setup works fine but seems like a waste of the MC6000 and is not something I can use if I want to use my Equinox Micron booth where there isn't enough space for both controllers.

I've tried using the microphone input on the Beatpad and it just isn't clear enough (too much bass) so that's not an option going forward. Does anyone know if there is something that I could use as an interface between the microphone and the mic input on the Beatpad that would give me the tone control I need? Some kind of microphone preamp maybe? I appreciate that I won't be able to achieve the microphone ducking effect but I can manage without that as long as the microphone sounds clear.

Have you considered using a 'notepad' style PA mixer? They can have a really small footprint & offer at least a couple of mono mic/line channels with great EQ and at least one stereo line input. No balanced outputs generally though, so if you need those you might have to do a bit of investigating to find one with XLR outs.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Have you considered using a 'notepad' style PA mixer? They can have a really small footprint & offer at least a couple of mono mic/line channels with great EQ and at least one stereo line input. No balanced outputs generally though, so if you need those you might have to do a bit of investigating to find one with XLR outs.
    I haven't. I recently sold an Alto ZMX122FX. Do you mean something like that?

At the moment I run balanced XLR out of the Beatpad to my powered speakers. Would running out of the Beatpad into an external mixer degrade the sound quality in some way or would this be negligible? I thought I would be better off to continue running straight from the controller to my speakers and then just controlling the mic input into the controller for that reason but I'm not all that clued up because I've never needed to us a mic before.

I've just had a look around and wondered if something like this might work. Any thoughts?

http://www.juno.co.uk/products/art-t...FVdsGwodjjgLQw

I'm not sure if affecting the microphone signal going into the Beatpad will do the job though. Will the microphone output from the Beatpad always be limited by the quality of the electronic components in the Beatpad?
    Last edited by Casual77; 23-08-2015 at 12:32 PM.

Any mic preamp is going to output line level so you could only go to a controller mic input through an attenuator which is messy.

Save the poncy preamp (tube preamps, perlease!) for studio work & instead use something with eq like the little mixer you got rid of. Or get a controller with a better mic input.

I currently use an external mixer with my MC2000 because its mic input has no EQs. I don't generally use mic eq much but when I need it I need it badly.

I'm trying to find budget for an MC60000 or ADJ VMS 4.1 just so I can ditch the external.

Any mic preamp is going to output line level so you could only go to a controller mic input through an attenuator which is messy.
    Yeah, I'd not thought about that but I can see how that would be an issue. If I want to go down the iPad route, which is my preference, there isn't a better controller available. To my knowledge there are only two 'pro(ish)' level iPad controllers, both of which I own, and neither have particularly good mic channels.

So, I guess that means that the only option is to go down the external fixer route if I can find one in my price range with balance XLR outputs and a small enough footprint. Can anyone recommend one that might fit the bill?

Think I may have found a solution. I've just bought a Mackie 802VLZ4 for what looks like a bargain price on eBay. It has a small footprint and XLR outs so it should fit the bill and if it doesn't I think I should be able to move it on without losing anything.

Have you considered using a 'notepad' style PA mixer?
    Many people with controllers have used this workround. Then they've got sick of messing about, and reverted to something like a Denon X500 and HC 4500 to take advantage of the X 500s features. None of the controllers I've had experience of come close to that, particularly in the mic channels.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual77 View Post
    This setup works fine but seems like a waste of the MC6000 and is not something I can use if I want to use my Equinox Micron booth where there isn't enough space for both controllers.
    This is a problem I'm familiar with. When I use my micromax, I add an Ultimax shelf onto a pole to get round this. Re the small mixer, is there a lower shelf where you could add this, and lose the 6000? I'd always be wary of not having a backup playout ready to go, as you may well remember.

I currently use an external mixer with my MC2000 because its mic input has no EQs. I don't generally use mic eq much but when I need it I need it badly.
    I think that mic inputs on the two channel mixers are regarded as a necessary evil. My VMS 2 simply has a tone control, and it's barely acceptable.

I'm trying to find budget for an MC60000 or ADJ VMS 4.1 just so I can ditch the external.
    Don't forget that the Mk1 Denon mic inputs weren't regarded as the finest ever. Allegedly this was addressed in the Mk 2

Can anyone recommend one that might fit the bill?
    Here perhaps?
    Mixer and very simple emergency backup playout. Probably wouldn't you much more than one or two tracks grace, but that's often enough to reboot a crashed main rig. There are others in the range too. Worth a look. Don't think it's got balanced out, but if you're only going to plug into two speakers close by, I defy you to hear the difference. Having balanced mic inputs is more important.

Edit:
    Must type faster. The Mackie looks very good.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 23-08-2015 at 06:03 PM.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

The Mackie does look good and at 1 month old and £75 delivered, a real bargain.

Unfortunately, there isn't scope for any kind of shelf on a Micron so I'm limited to what I can fit on the shelf, although I have got a Numark laptop stand which I could use to make myself a bit of extra space.

I tend to go belt and three pairs of braces as far as back ups go. I've got the Beatpad plus two iPads in case one goes down. I have a cable that would allow either iPad to connect directly to my speakers if the Beatpad goes down. I've also got a small Samsung Laptop with Numark Mixtrack Edge controller and external hard drive. Oh, and a 60gb Tonium Pacemaker just in case everything fails. The back ups excluding the Beatpad would leave me without microphone capability but the addition of the Mackie mixer should hopefully solve that.

I also have the MC6000Mk2 which I may be tempted to sell on if the Mackie provides a comparable microphone performance.

The back ups excluding the Beatpad would leave me without microphone capability .
    Panto time. Oh no they wouldn't. Well, not entirely. Just plug your mic into the nearest speaker. Simples.

Unfortunately, there isn't scope for any kind of shelf on a Micron so I'm limited to what I can fit on the shelf, although I have got a Numark laptop stand which I could use to make myself a bit of extra space.
    Are we on the same page? Do you have uprights for the micron? If so, clamp this to one of them. That's what I do.

I also have the MC6000Mk2 which I may be tempted to sell on if the Mackie provides a comparable microphone performance.
    Problem, meet solution?
    Last edited by Excalibur; 23-08-2015 at 08:25 PM.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

The Ultimax shelf looks like a good idea but would it attach to the square uprights on the equinox stand? It looks from the picture as though it is intended for circular poles.

If Justin is still looking to buy if and when I'm looking to sell I'd certainly offer him first refusal.