Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the next "trend"?

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Just look at what theatres use. There'll be a DJ equivalent to it in a year or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Next trend? I'm hoping it's cheesy DJs who are fond of the sound of their own voice.
    There was one local disco DJ who thought he could sing.
    He would sing over most of the songs.
    But he was terrible, completely off key.

Quote Originally Posted by ckpr2 View Post
    There was one local disco DJ who thought he could sing.
    He would sing over most of the songs.
    But he was terrible, completely off key.
    He's on Radio 2 these days isn't he? Steve Wright?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    ROPE LIGHTS AND TRAFFIC BOXES
    Erm....that's my 80's package Jim, and business is definitely picking up on that front

As for the next trend - who knows. Probably a pop-up booth that all comes out of a single flightcase.
    Am I going to follow the trend - nope. I've spent enough on my various flavours of rig now and I'm more than happy with how it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Just look at what theatres use. There'll be a DJ equivalent to it in a year or so.
    Spot on,to be honest mobile discos are way behind in new technolgy compaired with USA thats why i find plasa a much better bet you will see lots of new ideas that will take at least 4 years to feed down to mobiles.

Have you seen what the likes of Calibar Entertainment are doing for massive weddings? Complete staging & bespoke lighting rigs. Absolutely amazing, but it'll never scale down to gigs for 100 people.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Have you seen what the likes of Calibar Entertainment are doing for massive weddings? Complete staging & bespoke lighting rigs. Absolutely amazing, but it'll never scale down to gigs for 100 people.
    Totally agree, the average mobile DJ is limited to the amount od kit they can fit into their transport, and of course the cost. Having said that, technology is getting cheaper all the time and I predict HD star cloths will soon be available for a sensible price, thus enabling some fancy backdrops. Another prediction is 'wearable lighting' ie RC controlled LED wrist/ankle/arm bands either sound to light or under the direct control of the DJ, thereby turning the guests into part of the light show. This is already here, I've actually seen the prototypes, but the price of the LED bands need to come down to almost 'disposable level' to make it a viable proposition as many would fail to be recovered post gig. I also think advanced video projection will feature more in the shows of DJs doing the larger gigs instead of only being used by the Hi-End production/event companies. Time will tell.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Latest trend seems to be people raking out old ladders out their loft, splashing a bit white paint on, filing the steps with loads of cr@p then putting them out as 'love ladders'
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

I think we’ll gradually get away from having our lighting by our stands/booths.

We’ve all experienced lights that look awesome from our viewpoint but are totally underwhelming when we take a walk around the room and look at them from the audiences perspective - the lights should really be at the opposite end of the room for maximum crowd impact.

The more battery and wireless DMX lights that come on the market the less we are restricted to where we can place them. Battery isn’t that vital actually, I manage to place my Solar 250’s around most rooms if there’s handy plug points.

Imagine having podiums in each corner of the room with wireless DMX moving heads on them, it’d be a much more sophisticated light-show. (and how about a larger battery pack for moving heads and other high power heavy that would sit in the truss to completely avoid a mains lead).

But that also means we’d have less hardware and lights around our stands and booths so we may need to do something there to give ourselves more of a presence, that’s where people could really start being inventive.

Play out wise I fell Stems could be an exciting new avenue for creative DJs should it catch on with producers.
    If you don't know what Stems are just imagine 4-channel software like Octamed on Amigas, modern equivalent of a MOD file or even MIDI; you have the Beat, the Kick, the Drum and the vocal as separate elements which can easily be manipulated during playback. Taking something from the past and bringing into the current.
    Personally right now I am not indulging, but they do sound intriguing.
    Last edited by djrikki; 12-09-2015 at 07:27 PM.