Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When a wedding is NOT a wedding!!

Default When a wedding is NOT a wedding!!

Had a couple of these instances lately, When a customer gets a quote for a private party, then states that's is a wedding after. Pretty cheeky I think!

The first a few months ago, Someone called looking for a DJ for 5 hours in the evening and started with "whats the price, whats the price" Not interested in the service chat. So I said whats the event? "well its just a small thing, you know?!" No I dont know??? "Its a wedding but just 50 people, no first dance no need for anything wedding wise" Gave them a wedding quote! Ohh no thats too much, I am looking for someone for £100 quid. Ok Jog on then!!

The best, this week, Emailed back for a wee private party, gave a quote, then they said "can I mood light the room" , I said yeah of course , this is the price. Then as they kept asking to pay the deposit, I said I need more info? Ie type of party? your contact details apart from email.

"Ohhh its a wedding reception, but just a big party really as we are getting married in mexico". Ohh is that right?? well guess what, you werent quoted for a wedding reception. Here is yer quote!

What are people on these days? To be honest I couldnt care less if they go somewhere else, I just worry for the other DJ who turns up and figures out its not a private party but a wedding reception, has this ever happened to anyone??

Funnily enough I was just talking about this to someone earlier.

I think it’s because every Bride FB group, magazine, blog etc says that suppliers add on extra for weddings so don’t mention what the occasion is when you book.

Now the big question is - are they right?

As you started this thread will you say what the difference in price is for the same number of guests for the same times at the same venue on the same date for a birthday and a wedding and why?

Myself - I charge exactly the same regardless of the event, my fee is based on the hours I’m there and distance travelled, my preparation is very similar for every booking.

And just another thought - if brides think they’re being clever avoiding mentioning it’s a wedding (and I think this will just become more prevalent) are dedicated wedding DJ sites on the way out?

Quote Originally Posted by scott23 View Post
    Had a couple of these instances lately, When a customer gets a quote for a private party, then states that's is a wedding after. Pretty cheeky I think!

The first a few months ago, Someone called looking for a DJ for 5 hours in the evening and started with "whats the price, whats the price" Not interested in the service chat. So I said whats the event? "well its just a small thing, you know?!" No I dont know??? "Its a wedding but just 50 people, no first dance no need for anything wedding wise" Gave them a wedding quote! Ohh no thats too much, I am looking for someone for £100 quid. Ok Jog on then!!

The best, this week, Emailed back for a wee private party, gave a quote, then they said "can I mood light the room" , I said yeah of course , this is the price. Then as they kept asking to pay the deposit, I said I need more info? Ie type of party? your contact details apart from email.

"Ohhh its a wedding reception, but just a big party really as we are getting married in mexico". Ohh is that right?? well guess what, you werent quoted for a wedding reception. Here is yer quote!

What are people on these days? To be honest I couldnt care less if they go somewhere else, I just worry for the other DJ who turns up and figures out its not a private party but a wedding reception, has this ever happened to anyone??
    What difference does it make what the party is? Unless you're doing any extra work like having to be there most of the day or whatever surely a wedding reception from 7pm-12am would attract the same fee as any other 7pm-12am party.

There's a perception among the public that anything to do with a wedding automatically gets a number tacked onto the end of the quote. If the customer only wants the party part of a wedding service why would you expect them to pay a 'wedding' price?

To be honest its not that big a difference in price. Like £50! Its more to do with the extra work I put into a wedding reception, with regards to face to face meetings.

For me its just quite fly not to say its a wedding, and also to try to barter on the amount of people who are going to be there.

To be honest its not that big a difference in price. Like £50! Its more to do with the extra work I put into a wedding reception, with regards to face to face meetings.

For me its just quite fly not to say its a wedding, and also to try to barter on the amount of people who are going to be there.
    Why wouldn't a birthday or anniversary party also benefit from a meeting? What do you discuss at the wedding meeting that you couldn’t do over the phone or email?

(Try thinking of a prospective client asking these questions, which they will, and justifying the extra charge to them in a way that they’ll buy it).

Often there is more work for a non wedding as, usually, you know who you are dealing with for a wedding (B&G) and they usually have a firm plan to work to. Other parties are often a much less organised affair and no one person is often in charge. Especially if its a surprise party for the birthday person where the organiser wont give you too many details in case the person finds out. As if.

I treat every function as a priority one, after all, that is what the client expects.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    Funnily enough I was just talking about this to someone earlier.
    Oh really?

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    What difference does it make what the party is? Unless you're doing any extra work like having to be there most of the day or whatever surely a wedding reception from 7pm-12am would attract the same fee as any other 7pm-12am party.
    Myself - I charge exactly the same regardless of the event, my fee is based on the hours I’m there and distance travelled, my preparation is very similar for every booking.
    I cannot fault a word of the above posts. And bearing that in mind...............................

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    There's a perception among the public that anything to do with a wedding automatically gets a number tacked onto the end of the quote. If the customer only wants the party part of a wedding service why would you expect them to pay a 'wedding' price?
    And just another thought - if brides think they’re being clever avoiding mentioning it’s a wedding (and I think this will just become more prevalent) are dedicated wedding DJ sites on the way out?
    Is it not reasonable to expect an increase in clients following this policy, if they think it stops them being " ripped off "? Again, this would seem logical to many folk.

Might sticking " Wedding DJ " at the top of your website dissuade people from booking other functions? Food for thought.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Simple, charge the higher fee as your basic rate regardless of function. I've had meetings with people having sweet 16, older birthdays etc..
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Might sticking " Wedding DJ " at the top of your website dissuade people from booking other functions? Food for thought.
    I say 'wedding & party DJ'. Does that make me a bad person?

Didn't we have this discussion on the secret members board a couple of weeks ago?

For a standard evening reception....there IS no difference (well, not for me anyway).

OK, I take a completely different rig to a wedding, plus things like confetti canons, which is the only reason my wedding price is £50 dearer than my standard price (which will be going up shortly to match the wedding price as as party's a party).

If I'm told it's a standard party, then they end up with my "standard" rig which is used for quick access in the likes of pubs etc., that's the only real difference. Obviously if it's an all day affair like early set-up, then the early set-up charges kick in.

Got to admit though, I'm a member of a lot of those wedding groups and some of the conversations are beyond belief. There's a real suspicion out there at the moment that people are out there to rip brides and grooms off at every turn.

What I still really don't get though without turning this into a pricing thread, is how the same brides that are moaning about the price of things like discos are prepared to pay more for things like chocolate fountains, candy carts and chair covers than they are for some of the prices they mention they're getting their entire evening's entertainment for.