Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When a wedding is NOT a wedding!!

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    I say 'wedding & party DJ'. Does that make me a bad person?
    Yes. Next question, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Didn't we have this discussion on the secret members board a couple of weeks ago?
    Did we? Do I come here often? I forget a lot nowadays.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Did we? Do I come here often? I forget a lot nowadays.
    Does that mean you've also forgotten you offered to buy the first round of sherries at BPM?

And Justin...."Wedding Host" is much worse

What I still really don't get though without turning this into a pricing thread, is how the same brides that are moaning about the price of things like discos are prepared to pay more for things like chocolate fountains, candy carts and chair covers than they are for some of the prices they mention they're getting their entire evening's entertainment for.
    IMHO the 'industry' has been selling (and customers have been readily buying into it in droves) the 'importance' of having all that frippery for years now but conveniently for the vast majority of the time the 'decision helpers' have been overlooking the entertainment. Things are changing. Slowly.

And Justin...."Wedding Host" is much worse
    Surely a typo of "Wedding HOIST" though, no?
    Last edited by Excalibur; 11-09-2015 at 08:10 AM. Reason: merged posts

The OP is an example why people are getting peaved. 2 prices for the same job. Just because it's a wedding. I always point out to my enquirers that I don't "load" my price just because it's a wedding (because I know full well it goes on). My rate is the same for all and always has been. I reckon the wedding "industry" bubble is due to pop for all suppliers, not just Dj's, who are feeding on this market. I cite Love Letters as an example. Ridiculous prices!

A lot of assumptions being made that folk charging more for a wedding do the exact same job as they would for an 80th. Whilst I can't speak for everyone, I'll tell you right now that I put a lot more work, time and planning into my weddings and my price reflects that.

EDIT: What bothers me most about "wedding" pricing is that we offer a service so of course we can have different tiers for different functions and differentiate prices accordingly but we get lumped in with the product suppliers that are shilling out the same stuff whether that's cheap chicken dinners, chair covers, invitations or honeymoons who differentiate nothing but up the price. THAT isn't fair on the client.
    Last edited by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ; 12-09-2015 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    A lot of assumptions being made that folk charging more for a wedding do the exact same job as they would for an 80th. Whilst I can't speak for everyone, I'll tell you right now that I put a lot more work, time and planning into my weddings and my price reflects that.
    For heaven's sake Jim! No one is disputing that. The question here is when you turn up to a venue for a non wedding gig, having done whatever work you feel necessary, and find it's actually a wedding, is it acceptable to say " Hang on. It's a wedding. Weddings cost more"? Exactly the same amount of preparation as the 18th you did there the week before, and the same hours. Why an extra cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    And I’m sure if that 80th birthday needed the same work, time and planning you’d charge the same rate - but would you necessarily know the workload before confirming? And at what point do you tell them there’s an extra charge?

Once confirmed any client can start taking up our time and increase our workload. If you had a birthday or anniversary booked and they sent you these requests a week before ‘we’d like to make a big thing of cutting the cake and there’s a few people who want to say a few words on the mic, I’d like to do a dance with my husband/wife to start the evening off, here’s all the songs we’d like played, what do you think?’ Is that any less than most DJ’s do for a wedding?

My argument isn’t that weddings shouldn’t be charged at a higher rate but that other bookings shouldn’t be a lower rate.

Copied from my post in the Supporters section:

I charge £100 more for Weddings than I do general parties, as it covers meeting the B&G at their venue as well as the extra time to plan the sequence of events throughout the evening. My prices start at £350 for a maximum of 5 hours (playing time).

I have also done a Derek Pengelly Seminar/Workshop but it didn't really need to add anything to what I was/am already doing, so I guess i'm on the right lines.

I've been mainly focussed on Wedding DJ'ing for 4 years now and have still not yet done an all day Wedding with MC'ing etc, but i'm not really fussed and don't promote it. I'm quite happy to turn up at the venue to start at 7pm, finish at 12am and go home.

Also, there's a clause in my contract which states that if we arrive at the venue and the event is different to what has been booked - e.g. it's actually a Wedding, not a 40th Birthday - then we will not set up until the additional amount has been paid for what we would usually charge for that type of event.

OK, so once we arrive, there isn't really much to do differently apart from announce the cake cutting and first dance, however, it's the dishonesty that gets to me, so they can pay for it.
    Scott.

SC Events | Facebook

Professional Conference & AV Services, Corporate Entertainment, Equipment Hire and DJs

Quote Originally Posted by SC Events View Post

OK, so once we arrive, there isn't really much to do differently apart from announce the cake cutting and first dance, however, it's the dishonesty that gets to me, so they can pay for it.
    Precisely. So if you haven't done all the prep normally associated with your weddings, how do you justify a surcharge? You haven't provided a higher grade of service, so why the higher price?

On occasion, I've had clients with a low fixed budget, and sometimes I've met them halfway by cutting down kit and frills. Seems logical to me.
    Conversely, if I'm asked to provide more kit and services, the price rises. Simples.

Quote Originally Posted by SC Events View Post
    I charge £100 more for Weddings than I do general parties, as it covers meeting the B&G at their venue as well as the extra time to plan the sequence of events throughout the evening. .
    What is the sequence of events that needs so much planning? Usually I’m told what time the wedding breakfast ends, speeches, the time of the cake cutting and first dance...what else is there that you do? What do you personally plan? (as opposed to being advised of).

Meeting the B&G - fair enough, that’s extra time and expense so needs to be covered, but surely all clients deserve the same level of service? If you think a venue visit is necessary then does it matter what the event is?