Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What budget speakers

Default What budget speakers

I have been DJing some classic dance music and weddings with a friend of mine locally. Unfortunately he is not always available and I want to be able to do a gig on my own. He is always happy for me to borrow his PA, but I feel a bit cheeky and he is 30 minutes drive away. As such I have decided to try get some kit of my own (which I am sure will be much worse than the QSC K12's I borrow).

I am aiming to spend £100-£300 for two speakers either with an amp or powered. Happy with 2nd hand but only if the saving is worthwhile. Volume doesn't have to be that high as it is smaller venues more often than not. Have found the following options and would love a view on them:

New QTX PAJ15A Active Moulded Speaker - Pair for £280
    New QTX QX15A Active Moulded Speaker - Pair for £290
    New Ekho PL15A Active Moulded Speaker - Pair for £270
    Ex Demo QTX QR12K Active Moulded Speaker - Pair for £155
    Ex Hire QTX QX12AV Active Moulded Speaker - Pair for £180
    2nd Hand RCF 322A Active Moulded Speaker - Pair for £450 plus a 3hr round trip to collect
    2nd Hand Soundlab G097 Amp and NJS 15" Speakers with Stands - £100 plus 1hr round trip to collect
    2nd Hand (still in warranty) LD Systems GT15A Active Speakers - £400 plus 2hr round trip to collect
    2nd Hand - DB Technologies Active 412 Speakers - £325
    2nd Hand - DB Technologies Active 405 Speakers - £300 plus 2hr round trip to collect

Particularly confusing is the range of QTX speakers at similar prices, also have no idea how the likes of LD Systems, RCF and DB Technologies compare to the excellent QSC speakers I have been lucky enough to use so far, the price seems to be a halfway house between them and the likes of the QSC and Ekho.

Quote Originally Posted by sibeer View Post
    I have been DJing some classic dance music and weddings with a friend of mine locally. Unfortunately he is not always available and I want to be able to do a gig on my own. He is always happy for me to borrow his PA, but I feel a bit cheeky and he is 30 minutes drive away. As such I have decided to try get some kit of my own (which I am sure will be much worse than the QSC K12's I borrow).

I am aiming to spend £100-£300 for two speakers either with an amp or powered. Happy with 2nd hand but only if the saving is worthwhile. Volume doesn't have to be that high as it is smaller venues more often than not. Have found the following options and would love a view on them:

New QTX PAJ15A Active Moulded Speaker - Pair for £280
    New QTX QX15A Active Moulded Speaker - Pair for £290
    New Ekho PL15A Active Moulded Speaker - Pair for £270
    Ex Demo QTX QR12K Active Moulded Speaker - Pair for £155
    Ex Hire QTX QX12AV Active Moulded Speaker - Pair for £180
    2nd Hand RCF 322A Active Moulded Speaker - Pair for £450 plus a 3hr round trip to collect
    2nd Hand Soundlab G097 Amp and NJS 15" Speakers with Stands - £100 plus 1hr round trip to collect
    2nd Hand (still in warranty) LD Systems GT15A Active Speakers - £400 plus 2hr round trip to collect
    2nd Hand - DB Technologies Active 412 Speakers - £325
    2nd Hand - DB Technologies Active 405 Speakers - £300 plus 2hr round trip to collect

Particularly confusing is the range of QTX speakers at similar prices, also have no idea how the likes of LD Systems, RCF and DB Technologies compare to the excellent QSC speakers I have been lucky enough to use so far, the price seems to be a halfway house between them and the likes of the QSC and Ekho.
    I got one of these a few months back for circa £280. Bstock - they are excellent!!
    Probably not in your budget, but very cheap for what you get.

http://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-...GnYRoCPgvw_wcB

I would go RCF 310a for the second hand market personally. Or for real cheapo speakers - Mackie Thumps. Not used many more so can't comment. Not a fan of the QTX. My 12 inch Battery one is OK for its function (background music mainly) though. I had a couple of the 10 inch moulded QTX and they are not great in terms of SPL. Heavy too as i bought a 12 for my venue to use and its really clunky.
    Last edited by yourdj; 16-09-2015 at 05:12 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quick answer, ignore the QTX. I actually have some, and they're fine, as long as you respect their limits. Theoretically, mine are the top of the range ones, so cheaper ones should have lower specs.
    Don't touch the Ekho with someone else's bargepole.
    The Soundlab ones aren't likely to be fab, nor the NJS.

The RCF are the class of that list, but as 322s they might be a touch harsh close up, as apparently the throat on them is 2", and designed for long throw. 312s might suit you better.

The Db I can't tell you much about, though they're a pretty well respected brand.

Now the LD, well I have the higher spec 12" version, and love them to bits. The GT are the cheaper ones, but still good cabs. I've been considering the ones you're looking at myself.

However, have a look around for Proel V15a. I've used them, and they're very very good. They may still be over budget, but well worth a look.

The golden rule though, if at all possible:
    Listen before you buy.

Edit: Re Toby's post. 310s are very good, but I'd go for 312s, given the choice. They'll cope without a sub(s)
    The Yamaha are very good, no question.
    The older Mackie/Tapco Thumps ,well look here
    Last edited by Excalibur; 16-09-2015 at 05:25 PM.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I'd strongly suggest that if your budget is 300-400 quid you should buy 2nd hand. That said a pair of alto active 15 inch speakers can be had for 400 from whybuynew if you dint mind b grade stock. I heard a pair of 115sa & was not unimpressed by their output.

The qtx speakers & their ilk are about as good as they cost imho. Useful for some things but maybe not as a main disco pa if you only have two of them. Due to their blatant lying about the power output of their subs I'd honestly stay well clear of anything they make.

Edit: they'd probably be out of your budget anyway but I slightly regret buying Mackie Srm 450 v1 speakers. They're fine at low to mid volumes but crank them a little more & your ears will bleed within ten metres of them unless you turn your mixer mid &.treble down to about ten o clock.

I'm always on the lookout for decent second hand speakers but they very rarely crop up near where I live. As Peter said, beware of buying speakers without being able to hear them in action in person.
    Last edited by Nakatomi; 16-09-2015 at 05:43 PM.

Thanks Justin, completely forgot the Altos. Go for TS rather than TX, as far as I can see. The TX specs are considerably lower.

They're perfectly acceptable, and pretty fair value for money. Not the class of LD, RCF, Yamaha and Proel though.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 16-09-2015 at 06:08 PM.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Thanks Justin, completely forgot the Altos. Go for TS rather than TX, as far as I can see. The TX specs are considerably lower.

They're perfectly acceptable, and pretty fair value for money. Not the class of LD, RCF, Yamaha and Proel though.
    Dead right, but they're the best value for money new speakers you're going to get at under £500 a pair as far as I know.

Another pro tip when you're speaker shopping, don't judge active speakers by wattage alone. Look for maximum continuous SPL (sound pressure level). It's perfectly possible for a pair of 500W RMS active speakers to be beaten by a pair of 300W RMS active speakers. It's all about how much sound they produce per watt put into the speaker driver itself, also known as its sensitivity.

In my bargain hunting I've looked for Yamaha, RCF and (until recently) FBT... rest assured if you ever find the budget for those fellas you won't make much of a loss on them if you sell them on. Unlike my poor sister, who's been trying to flog a pair of Skytec active 12s for £100 for months now

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    I got one of these a few months back for circa £280. Bstock - they are excellent!!
    Probably not in your budget, but very cheap for what you get.

http://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-...GnYRoCPgvw_wcB

I would go RCF 310a for the second hand market personally. Or for real cheapo speakers - Mackie Thumps. Not used many more so can't comment. Not a fan of the QTX. My 12 inch Battery one is OK for its function (background music mainly) though. I had a couple of the 10 inch moulded QTX and they are not great in terms of SPL. Heavy too as i bought a 12 for my venue to use and its really clunky.
    Had looked at the Yamahas and they don't seem to be common 2nd hand and are definitely too much new, a pair for £280 would be amazing though. My friend has warned me of the Mackies, hence not even looking at them.

Quick answer, ignore the QTX. I actually have some, and they're fine, as long as you respect their limits. Theoretically, mine are the top of the range ones, so cheaper ones should have lower specs.
    Don't touch the Ekho with someone else's bargepole.
    The Soundlab ones aren't likely to be fab, nor the NJS.

The RCF are the class of that list, but as 322s they might be a touch harsh close up, as apparently the throat on them is 2", and designed for long throw. 312s might suit you better.

The Db I can't tell you much about, though they're a pretty well respected brand.

Now the LD, well I have the higher spec 12" version, and love them to bits. The GT are the cheaper ones, but still good cabs. I've been considering the ones you're looking at myself.

However, have a look around for Proel V15a. I've used them, and they're very very good. They may still be over budget, but well worth a look.

The golden rule though, if at all possible:
    Listen before you buy.

Edit: Re Toby's post. 310s are very good, but I'd go for 312s, given the choice. They'll cope without a sub(s)
    The Yamaha are very good, no question.
    The older Mackie/Tapco Thumps ,well look here
    Good tip on the Proel and good to know the LD's aren't some nonsense brand, might make the guy an offer and see. Seen the RCF 312s but they seem to go for more money than I am looking to spend, from the sounds of it because they suit more everyday situations.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 16-09-2015 at 08:14 PM. Reason: merged posts

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    I'd strongly suggest that if your budget is 300-400 quid you should buy 2nd hand. That said a pair of alto active 15 inch speakers can be had for 400 from whybuynew if you dint mind b grade stock. I heard a pair of 115sa & was not unimpressed by their output.

The qtx speakers & their ilk are about as good as they cost imho. Useful for some things but maybe not as a main disco pa if you only have two of them. Due to their blatant lying about the power output of their subs I'd honestly stay well clear of anything they make.

Edit: they'd probably be out of your budget anyway but I slightly regret buying Mackie Srm 450 v1 speakers. They're fine at low to mid volumes but crank them a little more & your ears will bleed within ten metres of them unless you turn your mixer mid &.treble down to about ten o clock.

I'm always on the lookout for decent second hand speakers but they very rarely crop up near where I live. As Peter said, beware of buying speakers without being able to hear them in action in person.
    Good info on the Alto's. Had seen them a few times and decided they probably weren't up to much as they had Bluetooth, wireless and all sorts of other rubbish that seemed a gimmick for these things. Sounds like a pair of TS112 or TS115 speakers 2nd hand might fall the right side of my budget.

The RCF are the class of that list

...but as 322s they might be a touch harsh close up, as apparently the throat on them is 2", and designed for long throw. 312s might suit you better.
    I listened to 412's and 422's side by side when I bought my 422's and found exactly the opposite. The 2" HF driver on the 322's and 422's makes the mids a lot more mellow, but the throw on them is great as well. Having said that, I've heard 312's and they're perfectly acceptable.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

W Audio could also be worth a look, perhaps a pair of used DSR15s. There is a second hand pair on eBay that might be worth keeping an eye on (see link below). I have the 8" versions and I'm pretty impressed by the sound quality for the price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warrior-ps...item3f5391aa3e