Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: In need of some sound advice

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Whilst I totally agree, where can you hire a decent set of speakers for £25-30 ??
    Off me, I often hire 12" actives speakers out at 'trade prices' to genuine local DJs, (as some forum members can testify)
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Whilst I totally agree, where can you hire a decent set of speakers for £25-30 ??
    We know, don't we children.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Nope. Wish I did!

Quote Originally Posted by Casual77 View Post
    Thanks Toby.

The speakers you have linked to are the speakers I already own. Hiring is not really an option either because there isn't enough money in the gig to justify the expense.
    Ah sorry I misread it as DXR's (5.30am posting, on baby duty). As per the posts I would not look at the money if its a cheap gig and imagine what would happen if you or your son have a technical problem on the night. The 8 inters and a sub would suffice as my guess is the overheating is due to them being driven too hard? An active sub should only cost about £30 dry hire for the night.

This is my local hire company (a national dj supply company mind you) hire their FBT 15 inch sub is £25: http://www.bluearan.co.uk/hire/index...yXshoCKabw_wcB

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    It will all be invaluable experience for his future Event Management career, there’s nothing like seeing the job from all angles and it will look very good on his CV.
    i would ditch the 8 inch speakers, and use one or two of the 12's as back up, then you have a duplicate system should they get damaged/nicked. I have a rule that as soon as something fails once then i sell it. i use mine for ceremonies and back up behind the booth, its brilliant for that. Agreed, the good kit will also make him more confident in his abilities and also your trust in him. If he is doing event management I would assume that he will carry on with PA and management of events etc. Get him to order, collect and drop off the sub etc. or alternative PA.
    Last edited by yourdj; 21-09-2015 at 11:48 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Nope. Wish I did!
    Wasn't rocket science. Take a wild stab in the dark. Who do we know who's reasonably local to Allan, and has a four box 1.5K rig gathering dust, four twin 15" full range cabs, a spare sub or three, and a pair of twelve inch QTX available for nominal sums?

Time available 1 hour, please write on only one side of the paper.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Wasn't rocket science. Take a wild stab in the dark. Who do we know who's reasonably local to Allan, and has a four box 1.5K rig gathering dust, four twin 15" full range cabs, a spare sub or three, and a pair of twelve inch QTX available for nominal sums?

Whoever it is must have a really long name.

This is why I love this forum. It's great for bouncing around ideas and getting different viewpoints.

I took the second gig on primarily because the client was in a bit of a fix and I like to be helpful where I can. The fact is that I could probably run the garden party with the 8" tops and sub and James could use the 12" Yamahas but both setups would be a bit under-powered.

I take the point about hiring being a good idea, but I think Pe7e's point about needing a back-up pair of speakers as being necessary is even more pertinent. Up to now I have relied on the Yamahas being reliable and backed up by an excellent warranty, but if one did develop a fault or I accidentally dropped and damaged one I would be up the proverbial creek without a paddle until I could get it fixed. However, if I buy the cheap second-hand Alto 12"s I can let James use those in conjunction with the matching 15" sub and feel confident he will have enough oomph for his gig and that would leave me with my beloved Yamahas which I know are more than up to the garden party having done a similar one in Harrogate this weekend. That way I know I'm covered if James does want to do any further gigs and if he doesn't it certainly won't do me any harm having a pair of competent back-ups for my Yamaha 12"s. I've got back-ups for everything else I use and now that I'm getting booked up every weekend it is a little daft for me not to have back-ups for what is essentially the most important part of my DJ setup.

I don't think the PSR8As are faulty (I gather they generally get hot) but I don't think they should be used as main gig speakers. I will still keep hold of them because they are useful as second room satellite speakers which is why I bought them in the first place.

So, the question that remains is.... Are the Alto TX12s any good or is there something else that is better for under £250?

Matthew? Edward? DaveSounds? Oh, I give in!!

Ok.... assuming you are talking about your good self, Peter, do you have anything that you think I would be wise to consider before I offer £180 for the pair of 5 month old Alto TX12s?
    Last edited by Excalibur; 21-09-2015 at 01:30 PM.

Doh!

Mutters something about needing to put another rig together for xmas parties...

Still, the spare pa will doubtless prove its worth one day.

Your not to far from us. We can hire you a sound system Depending on budget from a pair of w-audio 12a to 10K FBT can be split down

Quote Originally Posted by Platinumeventsolutions View Post
    Your not to far from us. We can hire you a sound system Depending on budget from a pair of w-audio 12a to 10K FBT can be split down
    I appreciate the offer but this thread has highlighted my lack of back-up speakers and renting would only provide a short-term fix to a long-term problem. I think buying the second hand pair of Alto TX12s as back up for my Yamahas is looking like the best way for me to go.