Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cable storage

I just use a plastic container.
    I make my own speaker jack leads so made them from orange mains cable so I know they will take 13 amps ok and orange = speaker lead.
    Any other audio leads are made black.
    Mains cables are all 13 amps so can be used on anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ckpr2 View Post
    Mains cables are all 13 amps so can be used on anything.
    Have you ever wondered why manufacturers make 3 amp cables?
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    Have you ever wondered why manufacturers make 3 amp cables?
    It is a little dangerous using 13 amp cables with 13 amp fuses on something that takes less than 3 amps.
    Risk of fire.
    My amps all have correct internal fuses anyway.

I dont think most Joe average would understand watts/amps anyway.
    W=VI W=IIR W=VV/R

Due to practicality of getting gear in to the car if needs be (we often use the people carrier with the back two rows of seats down), the cables are all kept, wound and bound, in a couple of large sports holdalls. The microphones, AV cables, and flatpar remotes are also kept in there.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Cable management is probably my least favourite aspect of this job, especially packing them away at the end of the night. I've tried various different approaches but the one I've settled on which seems to be working ok for me is this...

Three hold-alls, one for my speaker and microphone cables, one for my various power cables and one for my DMX cables. In the bags I have smaller bags clearly marked up so that all my cables of different lengths are kept together and can be found easily. I picked up a load of cheap zip-up wash bags in different colours so that I can colour-code the different lengths to make them easy to find. I've also just bought a couple of 10m 4-way roll extensions which are easy to wind up and I'm looking to daisy chain as much as possible so that I can use shorter cables which are much easier to store and pack away.

I'm sure that will sound like a terrible way of doing it but it works for me. I'd love to be able to pre-wire but I haven't got anywhere to safely store a pre-wired bar so I have to pack all my lights in bags and set them up on every gig.