Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DJs Don't Cry: Behind The Smiles

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

I was going to start a new thread about this, but I decided to refrain from that as the title of this thread pretty much sums up what I'm about to post.

I'm a firm believer that while this forum is openly available to anyone and everyone to read, I doubt that 99.9% of potential clients actually would read it. It would be of no interest to most people, the same way that a forum about plumbing would be of no interest to me (unless I wanted to know why my tap started leaking). Maybe there are exceptions to the rule, I don't know for certain. But for this post, I hope there is an exception that reads this, as it may prove to be an education.

Not last Saturday, but the Saturday before, I found my dad in the bedroom of his house - the house that I grew up in. He had passed away, and it looks like he'd been there for at a few days. Having called his GP, followed by calling an ambulance, followed by calling a funeral director and waiting for them to collect my dad, it was getting into late afternoon. That night, I was booked to perform for a wedding. Did I cancel?

Did I balls.

I went home, got showered, changed, loaded the van and made my way to the gig. I performed all night, and even though my head was spinning, the bride, groom and their guests had an amazing night. They were completely unaware of what had happened, and they still are. The venue, who I have an excellent working relationship with, are unaware. The next morning, I had to get up early to attend a consultation. I didn't cancel on that either.

That's why DJs charge what they charge. We don't get sick pay, or compassionate leave, or paid holidays. Those perks that you enjoy in your 9-5 office job, or your overnight factory job, or the cold winter morning road sweeper job are not afforded to anyone who operates as a sole trader - and not just DJs. Plumbers, sparks, radio broadcasters or that girl who makes those crappy bracelets and prints those photos of your kids onto mugs - anyone who wanted to work for themselves. 15% of the British work force are self employed - that's 4.6 million people who aren't entitled to mourn the death of a parent.

I had the option of passing on the gig to someone I trust, and I very much doubt that anybody could speak ill of me for doing so. However, I didn't do that for two reasons: first of all, the work ethic that I have built up over the years. The couple had booked me over anyone else that looked into. Benny Smyth the man - not B.S. Entertainments the business - was the guy that they connected with to provide the entertainment for one of the most important days of their lives. Secondly, if I don't work then I don't get paid. Working as a sole trader is one step up from living hand-to-mouth - whilst we do have some money in reserve to cover some of these eventualities, there are limits.

I'm no better than anyone who would have passed on the gig to another DJ that they trust. There is no right or wrong way with this and whether others will agree with me or not is certainly up to them. I'm telling this story to pass on this experience. Yes, paying hundreds of pounds for a DJ does seem like a lot of money on the face of it, but even if you refuse to consider the costs and overheads that any sole tracer has to pay for, think about what you get from your job. Remember that one Monday morning you pulled a sickie, even though you weren't really ill? Still got paid for it, didn't you? Suddenly stacking shelves at Tescos doesn't seem so bad now, does it?

I'm not bitching. I love my job and I would make the same decision again if I accidentally stumbled into a time machine and went back two weeks but don't challenge us on why we charge what we charge. If you don't like the price then that's fine, but don't whinge to me about it.

Last edited by Benny Smyth; 16-02-2016 at 11:04 AM.

Firstly, commiserations . Secondly, you have illustrated beautifully the pitfalls of being a sole trader. There are lots of benefits of course, and in my opinion they far outweigh the negatives. Jeanette and I have been invited to a birthday party, and I was offered the disco. My presence wasn't conditional on providing that. As Benny said, "don't work, don't eat " so it's no surprise that I took the gig.

Chin up mate, and I applaud your work ethic. That's what sorts out the Professionals ( including part timers of course ) from the Sids.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    I was going to start a new thread about this, but I decided to refrain from that as the title of this thread pretty much sums up what I'm about to post.

I'm a firm believer that while this forum is openly available to anyone and everyone to read, I doubt that 99.9% of potential clients actually would read it. It would be of no interest to most people, the same way that a forum about plumbing would be of no interest to me (unless I wanted to know why my tap started leaking). Maybe there are exceptions to the rule, I don't know for certain. But for this post, I hope there is an exception that reads this, as it may prove to be an education.

Not last Saturday, but the Saturday before, I found my dad in the bedroom of his house - the house that I grew up in. He had passed away, and it looks like he'd been there for at a few days. Having called his GP, followed by calling an ambulance, followed by calling a funeral director and waiting for them to collect my dad, it was getting into late afternoon. That night, I was booked to perform for a wedding. Did I cancel?

Did I balls.

I went home, got showered, changed, loaded the van and made my way to the gig. I performed all night, and even though my head was spinning, the bride, groom and their guests had an amazing night. They were completely unaware of what had happened, and they still are. The venue, who I have an excellent working relationship with, are unaware. The next morning, I had to get up early to attend a consultation. I didn't cancel on that either.

That's why DJs charge what they charge. We don't get sick pay, or compassionate leave, or paid holidays. Those perks that you enjoy in your 9-5 office job, or your overnight factory job, or the cold winter morning road sweeper job are not afforded to anyone who operates as a sole trader - and not just DJs. Plumbers, sparks, radio broadcasters or that girl who makes those crappy bracelets and prints those photos of your kids onto mugs - anyone who wanted to work for themselves. 15% of the British work force are self employed - that's 4.6 million people who aren't entitled to mourn the death of a parent.

I had the option of passing on the gig to someone I trust, and I very much doubt that anybody could speak ill of me for doing so. However, I didn't do that for two reasons: first of all, the work ethic that I have built up over the years. The couple had booked me over anyone else that looked into. Benny Smyth the man - not B.S. Entertainments the business - was the guy that they connected with to provide the entertainment for one of the most important days of their lives. Secondly, if I don't work then I don't get paid. Working as a sole trader is one step up from living hand-to-mouth - whilst we do have some money in reserve to cover some of these eventualities, there are limits.

I'm no better than anyone who would have passed on the gig to another DJ that they trust. There is no right or wrong way with this and whether others will agree with me or not is certainly up to them. I'm telling this story to pass on this experience. Yes, paying hundreds of pounds for a DJ does seem like a lot of money on the face of it, but even if you refuse to consider the costs and overheads that any sole tracer has to pay for, think about what you get from your job. Remember that one Monday morning you pulled a sickie, even though you weren't really ill? Still got paid for it, didn't you? Suddenly stacking shelves at Tescos doesn't seem so bad now, does it?

I'm not bitching. I love my job and I would make the same decision again if I accidentally stumbled into a time machine and went back two weeks but don't challenge us on why we charge what we charge. If you don't like the price then that's fine, but don't whinge to me about it.

Sorry to hear about your loss Benny.

No one can say what they’d do in a similar situation until they’re faced with it and as you rightly say, there’s no right or wrong, but one way or another the show must go on for our clients.

Really sorry to hear that Benny.

Don't be afraid to take time off however if you think you need it, you have every right to think what's best for you at this moment in time.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

As said above, sorry to hear about your loss Benny.
    That was really well written and I'd like to think that someone on the 'outside' may just stumble across this thread and see that.

I was actually in more or less the same position nearly 4 years ago when my Dad was rushed into hospital on a Saturday morning and passed away later that day. Fair play to you for doing what you did and I personally don't have any problems with what you did. I personally couldn't face working that night. I can't remember what kind of booking it was but I was in no mood to do it and I got cover, didn't get paid etc etc.... I just wanted to be with the rest of my family and didn't think that I would be able to do the job to the best of my ability because my mind would be elsewhere.

As 'they' say...we all have different ways of dealing with things.

Good on you, you put your clients first and delivered what you promised. We all claim to put the Bride and Groom first but it's only really when unfortunate events like this happen do we see who is able to put their problems aside and focus on the client. I'd imagine the consultation would have been quite a challenge. I hope your doing alright

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Did I balls.

Sorry for your loss Benny. I take my hat off to you and your ability to stay professional and put the client first. In the same scenario i don't think i could have done so.

You need a CRB check by law if you're working regularly with Children. Performing at a wedding when there are kids around doesn't count because you're not working with them but fot children's discos where you will be playing and interacting directly with kids requires a CRB which apparently is now known as a DBS.
    Even if you insist there is an adult in the room at all times whilst you are working ?

I thought this was more commonly needed where you have one adult supervising children ( say a Church Sunday School for example or a Scout Leader type) and there are no other adults around?

Im not an expert so always willing to be corrected????

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K View Post
    Even if you insist there is an adult in the room at all times whilst you are working ?

I thought this was more commonly needed where you have one adult supervising children ( say a Church Sunday School for example or a Scout Leader type) and there are no other adults around?

Im not an expert so always willing to be corrected????
    You only need a CRB/DSB check if you have supervisory responsibilities. A DJ should never need to be left alone to supervise children (ie there should be other adults around with said supervisory responsibilities) so should not need a check/disclosure.

We've been through this discussion many, many times before. And, as far as I'm aware, this position has not changed.

And to be fair to Benny, he did accept his comment wasn't correct when he posted on 12th November 2015.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    You only need a CRB/DSB check if you have supervisory responsibilities. A DJ should never need to be left alone to supervise children (ie there should be other adults around with said supervisory responsibilities) so should not need a check/disclosure.

We've been through this discussion many, many times before. And, as far as I'm aware, this position has not changed.

And to be fair to Benny, he did accept his comment wasn't correct when he posted on 12th November 2015.
    Thanks Dazzy, makes sense to me in this crazy pc world we have to deal with😄😄😄😄

ALAN