Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alto TS115A Vibe

So would you definitely prefer the altos over mackie ?

I love my mackies (with a fan attached to the back) but they weigh a tonne.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    So would you definitely prefer the altos over mackie ?

I love my mackies (with a fan attached to the back) but they weigh a tonne.
    In terms of overall sound, yes. In terms of weight - the altos are lighter than the Mackies - but then I'm used to their weight now. In terms of build quality & longevity... nah. I know my Mackies are ancient, but I seriously doubt the Altos will hold their looks for as long.

I bought them to see me through having to run 2 rigs over the Christmas period at the lowest possible cost. I had my eye on a serious upgrade (buying cheap & wrong is always a false economy) but I thought better of rushing into anything before I've auditioned everything I can. Plus, there'll likely be a lot more decent 2nd hand gear around in the new year I expect. Up here there's loads of junk crap PA going for way more than it's worth. Where are all the people selling Yamaha, EV & RCF right now? Wayyyyyy daaaaahn saaaaaaaaaaaarf

Default Alto

The Alto's do seem good for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by mrrawuk View Post
    The Alto's do seem good for the price.
    They are. A small increase in budget though, can result in much better cabs.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Default cabs

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    They are. A small increase in budget though, can result in much better cabs.
    Such as??

It'll depend on your definition of 'small' really. I picked up my Altos for £400 the pair, new with stands. Add about £60 for padded covers & you're away.

Next up from the TS115A I think would be the Proel V15A which you can pick up for £250 each ex-demo (e.g. at www.djanddiscostuff.com) . £50 per speaker dearer than the Alto (£400 inc stands at gear4music).

The USB media player in my Altos has already come in handy, for background music duty at my residency's murder mystery nights. Easy to control & saves me having to turn up with my laptop hours before I'm actually needed (usually 3+ hours).

Having used them for a while, I still think they sound nicer than my Mackie SRM450s BUT... they were really only ever a stopgap speaker for me. A few outfits use them as main PA but I'm really after a fuller, punchier sound... and that means phase 2 of my PA buying should come into play soon. New tops, and at least one bin.

I plan to sell the Mackies (which will no doubt pay for the Altos) & keep the Altos as backup for my 'real' PA when I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    It'll depend on your definition of 'small' really. I picked up my Altos for £400 the pair, new with stands. Add about £60 for padded covers & you're away.

Next up from the TS115A I think would be the Proel V15A which you can pick up for £250 each ex-demo (e.g. at www.djanddiscostuff.com) . £50 per speaker dearer than the Alto (£400 inc stands at gear4music).

The USB media player in my Altos has already come in handy, for background music duty at my residency's murder mystery nights. Easy to control & saves me having to turn up with my laptop hours before I'm actually needed (usually 3+ hours).

Having used them for a while, I still think they sound nicer than my Mackie SRM450s BUT... they were really only ever a stopgap speaker for me. A few outfits use them as main PA but I'm really after a fuller, punchier sound... and that means phase 2 of my PA buying should come into play soon. New tops, and at least one bin.

I plan to sell the Mackies (which will no doubt pay for the Altos) & keep the Altos as backup for my 'real' PA when I get it.
    Altos seem to fit what i need but so many reports of poor reliability it's quite alarming and making me lean towards going for a Yamaha 12's speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by mrrawuk View Post
    Altos seem to fit what i need but so many reports of poor reliability it's quite alarming and making me lean towards going for a Yamaha 12's speaker.
    I think a lot of the altos reputation is founded upon people not knowing what they're doing. Drive any speaker with a built in limiter too hard for too long and it'll go 'foop'.

Default speakers

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    I think a lot of the altos reputation is founded upon people not knowing what they're doing. Drive any speaker with a built in limiter too hard for too long and it'll go 'foop'.
    I almost bought a set but went for FBS j12's in the end.