Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Securing lights on truss totems

Default Securing lights on truss totems

I am changing my show around for the first time in ages and am going to dig my truss totems out and use a pair of ADJ Starbursts. How do others secure them on to the top plate? I have used moving heads before and have special brackets made, but they were 10Kg+ movers and the new lights are 3Kg. I was thinking some kind of ratchet? Ideas please.

Also, I want a simple DMX controller, something along the lines of this but with sound to light capability.

Well the simpletons answer about fastening is to hook one of these kiddies of the requisite size through the safety eye, and tighten it to the plate by a wingnut.

Re sound to light, wouldn't the use of channel 11 provide that? DMX isn't my forte in any way. A quick search reveals 12 channel controllers with built in mic, but they're not simple, not compact, and not cheap.

Nowadays, isn't some form of PC based control usually the answer?

Ratchet strap
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Yeah, have Daslight, dongle etc, just looking for somethIng more simple.

Thanks for the link Pete, will look again tomorrow on a proper computer rather than on this iPad....

Oh and I think I owe you a phone call from a while back....apologies.

First thing, if you haven't already purchased the starbursts, see them working 'in the flesh' before you do. From the pre release marketing I thought they were the answer to a prayer and ordered a couple. When they eventually arrived, they were unpacked, tried and repacked for return and refund the following day. IMO, they are disappointing to say the least, and that's being kind.

To secure similar fittings and moving heads to my truss podiums I have drilled the top plates to pick up on the tapped holes in the base of the lights and secure the fittings to the top plates with handwheels inserted from the underside. It costs very little, but does require accurate measuring / drilling and you need to be careful not to have too long a thread on the handwheel as to let it intrude too far into the lighting fitting and cause damage.
    Last edited by Pe7e; 29-10-2015 at 11:48 PM.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

I don't know whether ADJ sell brackets for the Starburst? With a moving head, the easiest way it to attach an omega bracket to the bottom and instead of putting g-clamps on to it, put a bolt through and tighten it to the top plate on the truss... won't go anywhere then.
    Scott.

SC Events | Facebook

Professional Conference & AV Services, Corporate Entertainment, Equipment Hire and DJs

I just have the one totem which I purchased off Daryll a while back. There are holes on the plate at the top to secure the Starburst but I haven't got round to sorting that yet. To be honest I use the totem elsewhere in the room usually in a corner so it doesn't really see the Starburst at its best but it still looks good.

For the time being I have secured the light on to the plate using VELCRO! Sounds silly but it works very well. I have shaken the totem hard to test it and it is absolutely fine.

With reference to the Starbust itself - I personally think it is great. The only thing that I don't like is the white on it as for some reason it is not pure white and has tinges of green and red in it (although it might just be the one I have?).
    Last edited by Shakermaker Promotions; 30-10-2015 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    The only thing that I don't like is the white on it as for some reason it is not pure white and has tinges of green and red in it (although it might just be the one I have?).
    You're not alone, one of mine was the same but not just on white it showed 2 colours on all mixed colours, the solid colours were OK but IMO quite dim. The second head didn't even show white at all, and the menu selection didn't work as the owners manual indicated it should on both heads.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by SC Events View Post
    I don't know whether ADJ sell brackets for the Starburst? With a moving head, the easiest way it to attach an omega bracket to the bottom and instead of putting g-clamps on to it, put a bolt through and tighten it to the top plate on the truss... won't go anywhere then.
    I have Omega brackets on the moving heads, but didn't know if they would fit in the same place for the Starbursts

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post

To secure similar fittings and moving heads to my truss podiums I have drilled the top plates to pick up on the tapped holes in the base of the lights and secure the fittings to the top plates with handwheels inserted from the underside. It costs very little, but does require accurate measuring / drilling and you need to be careful not to have too long a thread on the handwheel as to let it intrude too far into the lighting fitting and cause damage.
    Sounds a bit technical for me...!

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post

With reference to the Starbust itself - I personally think it is great. The only thing that I don't like is the white on it as for some reason it is not pure white and has tinges of green and red in it (although it might just be the one I have?).
    I have watched several vids to show how you can get exact colours and have also bought a simple DMX controller to change the colours and speed etc

I saw the starburst & its clone at bpm & thought "oooo" but there's a lot of light leakage and alongside it was one of those mini jelly dome efforts in a bulb housing. The bulb thing seemed brighter to me.

Under a tenner effect outshines 'pro' fixture shocker!

The problem with the separation of the colours is caused by the optics simply magnifying the output of the LED chip. The red, green, blue & white elements sit close next to one another. To mix them better they'd need a diffuser in front... But that'd lose them brightness.

Better yet, use two dichroic wheels like wot proper colour changers do. Heh.