Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Extra Time!

Result!

You can tell he's forces though, the tables are set out as they would be in a Mess for a formal dinner - Top table, with rows coming off at 90 degrees!
    Scott.

SC Events | Facebook

Professional Conference & AV Services, Corporate Entertainment, Equipment Hire and DJs

Only just seen this but talk about freaky!
    I had almost the same situation about 6 years ago when I did a military wedding at the barracks in Aldershot.
    Same scenario as you in that there weren't many pleases or thank you's and they were up for partying until the early hours.
    The guy that got married was one of the top blokes and I played for an extra hour and a bit. He'd 'retired' to bed with his new bride so it was difficult getting the payment but I did what you did and sent a polite email and he was very complimentary and paid instantly online.

I know it's difficult sometimes and it can be VERY annoying but like you, I had a good result in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    Only just seen this but talk about freaky!
    I had almost the same situation about 6 years ago.
    About 6 days ago for me! The deal for overtime was laid out, and shortly before the function, it was set in stone that there would be no overrun.
    Come the afternoon of the function, a somewhat shamefaced NCO is tactfully enquiring if I'm prepared to play until 2.30am?
    2.30 arrives, and I'm advised to email the chap I've been dealing with initially with an invoice for the balance. I expect it this week.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Am I the only one that refuses to go over the agreed time?

OK, there are exceptions to the rule, but it's rare for me to do that. I'd rather leave on a high and have them wanting more. I've also found that I have gotten more repeat/recommended bookings from events where I don't go over and/or ignore the 'one more' chants than I do with the gigs where I stay on.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Whoosh, anyone?
    Think we're talking about functions not in normal business premises, which are very very likely, nay virtually guaranteed to overrun. I had one house party booked till 3am, and switched off at 6am. It wasn't unexpected, and I was handsomely rewarded for it, no worries.

Now Slagthorpe WMC, the finish time is set in stone, you've got twenty seven minutes and forty nine seconds to get the kit out, or you'll never work there again. They don't get one more there. Finish time midnight, music off and kit unplugged at eleven fifty nine and fifty seconds. Simples.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Whoosh, anyone?
    Think we're talking about functions not in normal business premises, which are very very likely, nay virtually guaranteed to overrun. I had one house party booked till 3am, and switched off at 6am. It wasn't unexpected, and I was handsomely rewarded for it, no worries.

Now Slagthorpe WMC, the finish time is set in stone, you've got twenty seven minutes and forty nine seconds to get the kit out, or you'll never work there again. They don't get one more there. Finish time midnight, music off and kit unplugged at eleven fifty nine and fifty seconds. Simples.
    Peter, You forgot to mention playing God save the Queen before the end--on threat OTHERWISE of chairs being thrown--as I was advised at a Britsh Legion gig 😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄

ALAN

No

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Events Ltd View Post
    No
    Define agreed. Marquee in the grounds of a private house, contract says £500 7pm till midnight, and extension £100 per hour or part thereof after midnight. You play till 2am, and trouser an extra £200, as per the agreement. You're not playing past the agreed time.

Wedding in a village hall, and the caretaker turns up with the keys in his hand ready to lock up as soon as is humanly possible after the last chord of the last song dies away. You finish on time.

The two scenarios are different. I work with an organisation in various venues around Lincolnshire. Contract is 8-12. Midnight arrives, I switch off, no ifs, no buts. Simples.

However:

If the venue allows it, and the guests cross my palm with enough wonga, I play on. This is stated up front.

Define agreed. Marquee in the grounds of a private house, contract says £500 7pm till midnight, and extension £100 per hour or part thereof after midnight. You play till 2am, and trouser an extra £200, as per the agreement. You're not playing past the agreed time.

Wedding in a village hall, and the caretaker turns up with the keys in his hand ready to lock up as soon as is humanly possible after the last chord of the last song dies away. You finish on time.

The two scenarios are different. I work with an organisation in various venues around Lincolnshire. Contract is 8-12. Midnight arrives, I switch off, no ifs, no buts. Simples.

However:

If the venue allows it, and the guests cross my palm with enough wonga, I play on. This is stated up front.
    I guess the old problem of alcohol also has a bearing in this---if the punters are already drunk I wouldn't be keen to play on--because we know where that's going--downhill usually--

Also in my case my gigs are usually a long way from home--up to 2/3 hours drive so I have a limit of midnight and volunteer a DJ to do the disco part of the event for me if they want a later finish.

Backfired in the summer at Wolverhampton CC where I was told a 1am finish required BUT after getting in a DJ for them ---they were told by the club they had to finish soon after midnight --doh!

Probably whats worse is when people don't join in and then when you finish at the agreed time they want ANOTHER ONE. grrrrr

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Using that example though, I would argue that the reason that you're not playing past the agreed time is because there is no agreed time. You've promised a minimum of 5 hours of entertainment, and then 'see what happens'.

This could actually turn out to be an interesting conversation, as obviously there is no right or wrong answer to this. From my own standpoint, I quote £X for up to five hours of entertainment with a midnight finish and then £Y for every hour or part thereof after midnight. I try and get a definitive finish time at the enquiry stage, but sometimes that remains up in the air (the client might decide closer to the day to book a bar extention, for example). Either way, I make sure that I have a definitive finish time by the time that consultation has been completed and before I send off their invoice. For me, it's 100% agreed and we all know where we stand. I never end up wondering how long I'll be there tonight.

Now, if the party has folk swinging off the chandeliers, I'm getting high-fived until my palm is red raw and the venue agrees to an extension, I might go on for another hour at most but, to be honest, that's a very rare occurrence and I'm sorry to say, by that point of the night it'll be for selfish reasons.