Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Extra Time!

Default Extra Time!

Had a gig Saturday that left me angry at the client, terribly frustrated and annoyed at myself.

Did a 60th party for a very wealthy retired forces high ranking officer. It was his wife's 60th party which was held in his second home in the Southdowns National Park, just outside Haslemere.

I was was to provide up lighting for the dinning room (where he had seating for 35 guests being fed a 5 course meal by exclusive outside caters). He was going to clear the living room and had hired in an led dancefloor so I was also to provide back ground music while they were eating and a disco after. Contracted from 7.30pm to 1am. Good fee agreed and contract signed and returned.

All went well. Would post photos but can't seem to get them uploaded.

The client had paid in full prior to event. During the evening he had been particularly direct. No pleases, thank you's or niceties. "Brown Sugar Rolling Stones next" was the typical communication.

Anyway evening went very well judging from the level of chatter, banter and noise coming from the dining room. I spent some time watching sky sports on the iPad and some time in the kitchen chatting to the caterers and the wine mercant who was looking after the 3 different wines they were having during the meal!

Diner finishes about 11.45 and they wonder into the lounge and dancing and jollity continue. About 12.50 with a full dancefloor the client leaves the room. Seems no hope of finishing, everyone enjoying themselves and don't want to be the party pooper.

At 1.10 manage to speak to wife and ask if she wants me to continue and explain that the contract he has signed includes £35 per half hour fee for extra time. No worries she says just keep playing. At 1.50 the client comes back into the room and says "spoken to the wife, 2.30 finish".

Duly continue with people enjoying themselves and windup at 2.30 still with 20 people on the dancefloor. Start packing away and while retrieving the uplighters from the dining room he says to me "extra on your booth".

Daughter and wife give me big hugs and show genuine appreciation of a job well done and thanks for extra time.

Pack away booth and find £30!

I was fuming and annoyed at his attitude and his value of my extending his party for his 35 guests for an extra 90 mins at 2.30 in the morning. In the context of the overall spend ( the whole party must have cost £4/5k) it was derisory and an insult.

I tried to find him but he had "gone to bed" according to his wife. She was apologetic and once more expressed her thanks and said she would recommend me.

So I drove home fuming. The thick fog didn't help and a 30 minute journey took 50 minutes. Because I was so wound up I kept the girlfriend awake which didn't make for domestic harmony yesterday!

All day yesterday I toyed with sending him an email reminding him of the contract and requesting the missing funds. The girlfriend and brother in law said put it done to experience and ask for "extra time money in advance in future".

His attitude and value of my worth still annoy me, as does the fact that he got away with it. Still might send an email today but wanted other people's opinions.

Over to you.

No harm in sending him an email. Initially keep in friendly and matter of fact. State that you were sorry to have missed him at the end of the evening and that there is still an outstanding balance of XX amount. Outline the additional time that was played, state the agreed T&C's regarding overtime, and confirm that you have received partial payment of £30 at the end of the evening. then provide details of how he may make final payment.

Lesson learned though. ALWAYS receive payment prior to additional time starting.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

I always quote to cover for a 2am finish for house parties, private grounds etc (anywhere without a licensed end time) to save this scenario.
    Don’t think I’ve ever had party go over that time, they usually fizzle out by 1am - 1.30am at the latest.

I wonder if the extra time money was a mis-communication? The £35 per half hour could easily be passed on as £30 for the extra time to him by his wife (or that’s what he thought he heard), I doubt he’d quibble over a relatively small amount like that. A polite email with an invoice for the outstanding will probably be settled immediately.

As for his attitude, being ex-military he's obviously used to giving orders where ‘please and thank you’ just doesn’t come into it. Very annoying, but he probably doesn’t realise it comes across as rude.

So at this stage I wouldn’t take any of it personally and see how he responds to the email and invoice.

Well have sent very polite email hoping he enjoyed the night, pointing out the extra hours worked and the terms in his contract, acknowledging receipt of £30 and asking him to forward the balance. see what happens.

As said by Shaun I always say (and stated in contract not that they read it) that money is due at the start of the extra time. From how you've worded the whole thing you did pretty well out of this event so maybe put it down to experience this time.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Managed to get some photos uploaded via Microsoft edge.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Success - email reply

Hi Colin - thank you for Saturday. Sorry that it was so late that people started dancing but the very successful dinner went on longer than we have thought it would!

Thank you for staying later and I will pay the £75 to you today.

Many thanks again for a job well done.

Best wishes

Simon

Thank you Shaun for persuading me to send the email. 😀😀

excellent result , happy customer , happy DJ.....

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

All's well that ends well.