Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Help with the Behringer UCA202

Default Help with the Behringer UCA202

First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong place, i'm pretty new around here, but anyways.

I had a look around and i couldn't find much to help out with the issue i'm currently facing, but there are some threads about this device, i know.
    I've started using my laptop instead of CDs, mainly because in the long term it's cheaper and more reliable, but i'm after an external sound card so i can cue up my music while it's blasting out of the PA. I was wondering if the Behringer UCA202 is capable of this, as i said before i couldn't find much on this subject, and as i'm new to the whole computer DJing scene i wanted someone else's input before i go out and buy it.

I have multiple ideas in my head at the moment, so here they are;

1) I can plug it in and set the sound card to main output, then to my mixer and so on, and then use the remaining 3.5mm jack to cue up etc..
    OR
    2) I can use the sound card to do the main output and do the cuing, because it does have headphone slot.

I just want to know if any of this is possible, and if not what card I would need. (Also, I'm aware that the DJIO does this, but I don't want to spend twice the price for something that i can have for half.)

Also the program i'm using is Virtual DJ 8.

Thanks
    ~ Ben

As far as I know VDJ lets you use different devices for different outputs.

So, what I'd recommend is setting your UCA202 to be the main stereo output of VDJ8, and plug that into your mixer. Then, also plug into your mixer your laptop's audio line output & use the mixer to do all your headphone listening. This is because in all likelihood your laptop won't be able to drive headphones at a level loud enough for them to be of much use.

Why use the UCA-202 for the main output? Easy one this... because it'll likely be much better sounding than your laptop's own audio output.

I used to run like this for a couple of gigs & then jumped straight in & bought a controller. DJing is just so much easier using proper controls, and one audio interface with everything on it removes a lot of hassle too.

Hello Ben.
    First of all, welcome, and please pop over to the Newbies section, and say hello, we like to know more about folk, and it often helps us to give better advice.

Right, to your question. Juski reckons it's possible to do what you want, but I'm not convinced it is. ( Mind you, this isn't my area of expertise, by any means, so don't take that as gospel. )

You mention the Numark DJIO, and a few years ago, that would have been my recommendation. However, Juski's suggestion of a controller is nowadays by far the best bet. A Numark Mixtrack Pro can be found s/h for between £50 and £75, and that is an all in one solution. There are better controllers available, but of course, they're dearer.

Give us more idea of what you want, and what your current mixer is, and we'll see what we can come up with.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

The main mixer I use is the American Audio Encore 1000. Although this is not like a full on mixer, it has all of the functions and more of what i needed it to do. I also have an old Gemini PMX 04 laying around, but this is pretty much the same but without CD players built in.

Anyway, I'll try and explain what I want in as much detail as possible for you.

So, I will be using VDJ8 on my laptop. I want the main output, to come out of the laptop, preferably not out of the onboard sound card. I then want to be able to cue the next song using headphones. (This can come out of the laptop's 3.5mm if needed(did some testing, runs my headphones fine)).

I know I can set outputs in VDJ8, but all i need is an extra output. (at least for now)

Quick note: I know about all of the controllers, but for what I'm intending to do I'm pretty sure I won't need most of the functions the controllers offer, but I do respect that it does make it easier to use VDJ8.

If all you want to do is cue tracks on a separate output then fine. Use the Uca 202 for your main output & do headphone listening on the laptop built in audio.

But... To save wear & tear on the laptop audio output I'd always go towards using a USB soundcard. It needn't be an expensive one just for headphones.

The point of using a controller by the way is to have physical buttons to control playout. I want tracks to start when I say, not just when the DJ software says so. Besides, after a couple of gigs I find the laptop keyboard was just too cluttered for easy use. Your controller needn't be an expensive one either if you don't need effects & hot cues etc

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    I want tracks to start when I say, not just when the DJ software says so.
    ...and there's the biggest reason for not using the headphone output on a laptop. They tend to have a few milliseconds of latency, which doesn't sound like a lot, until you're trying to press play bang on a beat.

I was going to suggest that your best option with the UCA202 would be to run VDJ in mono separated mode (either running the Master output through one channel and the Cue output through the other or using one channel per side), but then I realised that both of your mixers will require stereo inputs, so that's no good.

For now, if you really have to save that 30 quid for something else, go with the above recommendations and use the behringer for your master output and your laptop headphone jack to listen, but be prepared to find it hard to hear your headphones once you get into a full on loud gig environment (and especially if your headphones don't give good sound insulation).

If you're serious about doing this for a while, you'd do a lot worse than picking up a second hand Mixtrack Pro or something similar. I just sold one (with flight bag) for 55 quid.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Ok thanks for the advice everyone!

I (hope) i have a solution that will suit me well.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Your controller needn't be an expensive one either if you don't need effects & hot cues etc
    Indeed it doesn't. DJ2GO, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Speaukrai View Post
    The main mixer I use is the American Audio Encore 1000. Although this is not like a full on mixer, it has all of the functions and more of what i needed it to do.
    Ah. Tricky. There is a good solution, but by the time you've done it, you're halfway to a new controller.
    Were you to get the tried and tested DJ2GO/DJIO combination, you could run those outputs into the line inputs on the ADJ, and be able to switch back to CDs if you wished. That means an extra two items to carry and wire up, and find room for on the stand. Far from ideal.
    The ideal solution for you is sitting in my spare room, the Numark Mixdeck. The Mixdeck Express, or ADJ Encore 2000 also fit the bill, but none of those will be cheap.

That's the best I can come up with, but I fear it's no help at all. Sorry.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk