Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most embarassing disco

Yellow Post-it note on the top of my mixer with Brides Name, Groom's Name, surname and first dance title, artist, CD, track all written in block capitals.

A quick glance down before any announcements made.

If I do get a CD given to me to play, I always preview it first to make sure that it plays and is suitable to be played.

Quote Originally Posted by mattydj50 View Post
    Yellow Post-it note on the top of my mixer with Brides Name, Groom's Name, surname and first dance title, artist, CD, track all written in block capitals.

A quick glance down before any announcements made.

If I do get a CD given to me to play, I always preview it first to make sure that it plays and is suitable to be played.
    Indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    How about a gay wedding, which I didn't know was a gay wedding until I saw the couple take to the floor for their first dance? I'd already been told their names & kind of assumed they were man & woman - Jo being not an unpopular female name ... something like Richard and Joe. It was definitely JOE anyway... so I did the intro as they took to the centre of the dancefloor (I was up in the Gods) and said...

"can you all please make a lot of noise for ADAM and... Er.. who's Adam? This isn't Adam & Steve.. that was last week!".. loads of laughs at my expense & I wanted to jump from that damn balcony to my death. I think the Adam & Steve recovery comment could've gone one of two ways but gladly it went the right way. Turned out to be a most uproarious night. Why Adam & Joe? I was a huge fan of A&J in the late 1990s.

Another time, I learned a valuable lesson - don't take a band's word for anything. I had the option of letting the band play the first dance over their (crap) PA but I asked what it was & was told. I had it, played it to the band guy in my headphones to make sure. Yup. That's the one... Had it all cued up, did the big up intro, hit play on the track... cue one very uncomfortable looking B&G. It was the wrong song. Nobody bothered to tell me when I could've done something about it but the B&G gave me daggers all night. I was livid with myself for not finding the B or G to ask personally.

I've slipped up with a name change since then, calling a bride by her (unbeknown to me) nickname. Stacey / Tracey.. any fule can get that wrong can't they? Again it got a huge laugh but I couldn't apologise enough. She wasn't phazed at all though & said people do it all the time. I made darn sure to get her name right for the rest of the evening, and how.
    Reminds me of possibly my worst which was a Wedding for TRANNIES.

They didn't tell me and judging by the room not a lot of the guests either.

We kicked off with a GAY Gordons---oh dear

CRAZY K

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    **Blushes**

I have 2 very X Rated stories from DJing (both at an Alternative Club in Bournemouth in the mid-90's) but there's no way I can even tell them on a public forum!
    (They were very 'nice' experiences though!)
    I did a gig one night and the pub manager came over to me and said the stripper will be on soon.
    I didn't know anything about a stripper when I was booked.

Similar thing happened at a local Army camp, a stripper appeared half way through the gig.

Quote Originally Posted by mattydj50 View Post

I was asked to play Daddy Cool by Boney M and was lucky enough to find I had a copy.
    Any songs plays fine but then half way through one of the girls singers starts moaning like she is having an orgasm.
    I had managed to get the uncensored version !
    I had never played it before so didn't know it was like that.

I quite often get asked to play Gang bang by Black Lace. Its quite a good party track.

Quote Originally Posted by ckpr2 View Post
    Its quite a good party track.
    (since it's now panto season... )

OH NO IT ISN'T!

I remember a certain DJ in his much younger days revelling in playing Lil' Louis' 'French Kiss' in its entirety back when it was out. At weddings!

I did a gig one night and the pub manager came over to me and said the stripper will be on soon.

Similar thing happened at a local Army camp, a stripper appeared half way through the gig.
    Ah that reminds me of when I was still deep into my 'retirement' from DJing phase... I was wheeled out to do some DJing at a wedding of my wife's friend. It was my wife's birthday that day too and.. her mate had booked a male stripper for my wife as a surprise 'thankyou' for helping arrange things. Good job we were both good sports about it.

Oh yeah, and that was the wedding reception where everybody was invited to go in beach style fancy dress. Except we were about the only 2 guests who showed up not suited & booted. Can you imagine, at a very fancy hotel in deepest Cheshire, and I'm dressed in brightly coloured beach attire? A wedding in the next room was completely gowned & tuxedoed up & the place shared a bar between the function rooms. Talk about feeling like a fish out of water. Jees.

Anyhoo... I got talking to said stripper at the bar later & it turned out he lived on the same street as my parents some 150 miles away

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post

I remember a certain DJ in his much younger days revelling in playing Lil' Louis' 'French Kiss' in its entirety back when it was out. At weddings!
    It's a stunning track, I love it. It does only work well at certain functions, though.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Back in the 80s more or less EVERY birthday party had a stripagram arrive.