Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: " Have you got any Youtube videos I can see" ?

Default " Have you got any Youtube videos I can see" ?

Question last night from a prospective customer. Comes up from time to time. How many of you have, what do you reply if you haven't, and do you think it's becoming important to have something of this nature?

As I'm typing this, I'm thinking that the bride for that society wedding is likely to be unimpressed by the sight of you leaping about frenziedly in fancy dress at a more raucous function.

Hmmm, over to you folks.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I have a YouTube channel which I haven't added anything to for a while now but it's there if a client wants to see previous stuff. To be honest though I've never been asked if I have any videos of previous events.

As I do mainly Weddings, it is Wedding heavy but there's also an uplighting video and a promo one of everything I made a while ago

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYm...3xgs4S-HMUwTjg
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs

I'd have to say "no, I don't have any videos I'd want you to see". I suppose context is all important here as with so many other things. What does the prospective customer want to see? Lots of happy customers busting moves to songs the prospective customer likes? Proof that the DJ can actually carry out a reasonable facsimile of an introduction for a first dance? Proof that, like with 'real' discos, all the lights are on full blast doing their own individual thing 'to sound' ? This list could go on.

I try to capture stand-out moments at my gigs occasionally but am far from impressed with the results. My phone shoots better looking video than my 6 year old 'HD' video camera but even so, it's not capable of output I'd want many people to watch. Nor is most of the Youtube content from other discos' gigs I've seen for that matter.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Videos don't do lighting, sound and atmosphere justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Videos don't do lighting, sound and atmosphere justice.
    Maybe, maybe not.

In my business and my sons ie Western Themed Music, instructed dancing and Rodeo Bulls its a big selling tool and to answer you Peter nowadays it's becoming asked for more frequently here ---especially with Band requests which we don't get involved with much and don't tend to have vids so that makes it easy to say no.😄

Everyone with a mobile phone seem to expect this kind of technology.

Everyone's got a video haven't they ---er no actually.

I agree watching a bunch of drunks dancing to Come on Eileen or Hi Ho Silver Lining to Black Lace --yes really that's been demanded at my next Wedding😱 might not be conclusive evidence you are THE greatest disco in town 😄😄😄

I have noticed there is a problem with vids in the darkness of a disco which seem to struggle with low light unless you have a pro set up, as opposed to my £80 canon camera, which has actually produced some good results.😄😄😄 in good light !

Well after You Tube spent millions on improving their technology and my video for free

If you do go down this route I would get pro help as a poor video is probably worse than none at all and I have seen some very naff ones on web sites and wondered why they bothered.

Luckily I had one shot at a Wedding by a pro ( courtesy of Paul James Disco and Lighting ) and another by a pro at a Wedding ( courtesy of Clive @CRS)

The downside is we have people saying can we come and watch you? Not always possible at private events of course--but that's another thread

I'm not sure if you could publish music on you tube now as such as they have tightened up on the copyright, even blocking some obscure bluegrass tracks which I tried to include on a promo video.

Obviously you would need to publish on your own site which I guess might be expensive and complicated, Marc can advise on that.

My son and I have i have about 50 between us on you tube.

HTH

Best wishes

ALAN
    CRAZY K

From the good videos I've watched (Toby, I'm talking about you again).. even if the video isn't doing the event full justice, it can still leave a very good impression. Upload too many videos of 2 people dancing and erm...

To make good video which sums up the flavour of a night though, you at least need to have an assistant who's handy with a camera - or at least one who can hold one the right way up & steady.

Here's my latest video (which ain't all that), quickly grabbed by standing on a chair - it was actually longer but it took me a while to steady my phone. BTW my gigabar was only on about 50% brightness in this - the original video was very grainy which I had to de-noise in my editing program.

I need to make myself a promo video... I've been collecting photos and videos for years but never made a full video.

I guess it's much like any advert. You can get an idea what a car is like from a description and customer reviews. You can see what it looks like with a photo. The video goes one step further and gives the car more identity and excitement but doesn't have to show anything new. Much the same with us...

I think promo videos are also starting to become a standard thing for the higher priced DJs and will therefore be expected.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Doesn't come up often, thankfully I had a videographer friend by the couple to film the whole evening so I've got a great video but it's rarely asked for. Think it's about three years old and only got just over a thousand views...
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Nope, never used Youtube. I have never been comfortable in front of a camera.

http://yourdj.co.uk/videos/
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I have a couple of amatuer ones (i.e..filmed and roughly edited by me). They are old now though. I think they may be a about 6 years old. They mainly show people dancing, rather than a promo video.