Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .......................and rest!

Default FRB

I have stuck to that policy for the last few years..... but this year I need the money!!
    Doing 8 nights (starting tonight) to 400 people a night in Glasgow.

I bet your glad you aren't having to DJ in auld reekie now that they have shut the FRB!!

All the best
    Lee Live: Wedding DJ
    http://www.djLeeLive.com/

I've left a photo at home. See you in January!!

Mrs DJ does come along on NYE and we have a meal, watch the singer/band, I do my stuff and we see midnight through then she toddles off to bed around 1215 and I follow once done.

Breakfast there next morning is always entertaining seeing the sore heads and anyone who misbehaved walk around sheepishly.

Then reality kicks in and we start packing up. Mrs DJ does her bit in supervising!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    Good move, Shaun!

Just imagine if you'd had a bunch of bookings in Edinburgh over the next couple of weeks - nightmare!
    I know. Can you imagine?!! The majority of my past festive work always used to be in Edinburgh.

Name:  12308477_10154486042154782_5498055751088427149_n.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  48.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    Name:  12308477_10154486042154782_5498055751088427149_n.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  48.0 KB
    LOL. Perfect!

Enjoy the rest Shaun!!

I tend to take on as much as I can during December because I am generally quiet in January (although I do have 3 bookings so far) so I have a chill out and spend some time with the missus then.
    Saying that though - This is the first time in as far back as I can remember that I am not working Christmas Eve or Boxing Day and at first I was a bit gutted about it but it wasn't long before I started thinking that I can actually enjoy Christmas for the first time and not have to worry about anything until New Years Eve.
    I am doing New Years Eve at the hotel this year which is fine by me.

As far as Christmas Parties go in general.... Well, I just get on with them to be honest and look forward to the break at the end of them all. I think it makes the break more enjoyable and I really feel like I've earnt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Can anyone afford not to work? It's just a case of budgeting for the quiet months with the income from the busy months.

I have 4 bottles of Single Malt to help me through the cold December nights.
    Enjoy the whisky shaun
    Baffies on and the xmas movies!!!

At most gigs I have done there is always trouble with drunks.
    They fall over gear while trying to talk to me.
    They get into punch ups near my gear.
    I have had speakers knocked over during a punch up.

I must stop playing Elton Johns "Saturday nights all right for fighting" !

Enjoy the rest Shaun (and enjoy a little something from Islay and think of me).....I'm as busy as ever

Weirdly this year though, it's all adult stuff and only a couple of kids ones (and those two are regulars). One of the adult ones is an 80's night (yup....the light screens are getting an airing ), and one's a 21st, other than that it's jingle bells all the way for me.

Unlike our learned friend in Yorkshire, I've got only the one from Mr Vectis this December (I don't know what I'm doing wrong there this year.....NaD has completely died a death for me, although I suspect it's because I put my prices up in January).

I don't seem to attract the problem drunks the rest of you do for some reason....in fact (touch wood) I've never had any problems on that score. OK, I had my shirt ripped off by a load of drunken ladies last week....hey-ho, but I don't seem to get the aggressive ones for some reason....I'm not complaining.

I love Xmas parties personally. I tend to find them a lot more relaxed (maybe that's just me). I've had a very good year this year, and next year so far is looking even better (January is pretty much booked out already). Bear in mind I'm technically only a "weekend warrior"....I'm a happy bunny and have doubled turnover this year (I'll report in the New Year's Resolutions thread in a couple of weeks).

NYE - I'm out this year again despite me saying I wasn't going to (I was actually booked for this one in July and I could have booked it several times since...it appears there's a shortage of people willing to do NYE these days). This year it's just 10 minutes up the road, and my lockup is midway between the venue and bed so should be a nice easy one so long as the lift works on the night. So long as I remember the countdown (last year's DJ "forgot") and do a bit of chat on the mic...(again, that didn't happen last year), then I'm home and dry on that one. Unfortunately it's a 2am finish

So...it looks like February before I get my next weekend off at the moment!

Hmm December has been an odd one for me - only worked:

Sat 5th Dec (was DJing with main rig and hired out my second rig)
    Fri 11th Dec
    could have had booking for 12th but turned it down as was going to a christmas party myself and not DJing

Coming up - nothing this coming weekend, next bookings are

24th Xmas Eve
    26th Boxing day (same venue - can leave my gear set up from 24th)
    and NYE

That's a little quiet for me - also I am a 'part timer' but generally average 7 bookings per month eg: June, Aug, Sept and Nov. However the higher prices actually makes it my most profitable month this year for less work involved so happy days I guess.

Already have bookings for the firt two weekends in January plus several more on my book for the following months already

Rich