Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: New laptop time.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Then maybe Traktor is (maybe was) a sack of cack.
    Good call on the it-zone ebay seller, but do they ever have many laptops with UK keyboards?
    Traktor has quite a high system requirement compared to virtual DJ and serato.

2.0ghz i5 processor minimum. (serato 1ghz i3+, vdj pentium 4) altough a 2.4ghz core 2 duo managed okay... Which is why I say clock speed matters... Or more to the point in traktor it matters! And it does utilise multiple cores :S.

4gb ram minimum... Same as serato... Vdj asks for 512mb haha!... No idea why the huge difference!

Anyway yer quite a few keyboards are forgien! It's a 5 min job for any monkey to swap out an old keyboard for a new one with those laptops and keyboards cost less than £20.

As mention by somebody else you can swap everything on these laptops, almost like a desktop. Oh and you can see the screws, not hidden behind some funny panel to make it look nice / make you take it back to the shop.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Possibly. Lease can be upgraded on my six year old laptop. I know that 8gig of ram and 1Tb of storage is a good staring point, but what processor? I reckon I can get i3 models, but how does that compare to Celeron et al? Dual core, quad core? Help!!

All thoughts appreciated.
    Dont know if this is a SCAM but I see theres a free download called TurboyourPC which allegedly speeds things up.

Available until tomorrow.

Anyone know anything about this and does it really work?

Or is it just Crap Cleaner and deleting temporary files in disguise?

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    Traktor has quite a high system requirement compared to virtual DJ and serato.

2.0ghz i5 processor minimum. (serato 1ghz i3+, vdj pentium 4) altough a 2.4ghz core 2 duo managed okay... Which is why I say clock speed matters... Or more to the point in traktor it matters! And it does utilise multiple cores :S.

4gb ram minimum... Same as serato... Vdj asks for 512mb haha!... No idea why the huge difference!

Anyway yer quite a few keyboards are forgien! It's a 5 min job for any monkey to swap out an old keyboard for a new one with those laptops and keyboards cost less than £20.

As mention by somebody else you can swap everything on these laptops, almost like a desktop. Oh and you can see the screws, not hidden behind some funny panel to make it look nice / make you take it back to the shop.
    So if it needs more CPU than programs which effectively do the same thing, it's a bag o cack I've taken it for a test drive on my laptop (core i3 at 1.8Ghz ish) & liked it more than Serato. Gawd, the timestretching (master tempo) is as smooth as butter. Unlike basic Serato, which sounds like an older generation Pioneer CD deck. Yuck. CPU usage was next to bugger all in both though, as it is with Mixxx.

I know I can easily do a keyboard swap on a laptop. My current model's on its third one now No, it's not had anything else changed either. "Oooh yes I've had this laptop for 10 years.. I've only had to replace the HDD, the CPU, the battery, the case, the screen, keyboard & trackpad... " NOT.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K View Post
    Dont know if this is a SCAM but I see theres a free download called TurboyourPC which allegedly speeds things up.

Available until tomorrow.

Anyone know anything about this and does it really work?

Or is it just Crap Cleaner and deleting temporary files in disguise?
    A little tip. I'd stay well clear of TurboyourPC. Any program that flags up on malware info sites and Googling it brings up "Malware Removal Instructions" simply isn't worth the risk. Instead, use something with a good reputation such as CCleaner.

As for the Tracktor comments, well, I haven't used it for a few years now but I did use it for a while and it was very resource-intensive even on my well-specced Dell Inspiron. If it's changed then great but I'm really settled with VDJ now so that's my software of choice!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

I'm biting the bullet and upgrading my 10 (yes - 10!) year old laptop soon.

Looking (drooling) at a MicroSoft Surface Pro 4, if that lasts me another 10 years it's only £15 per month.

Anyone want a fully working Acer Ferrari 4000?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post

Looking (drooling) at a MicroSoft Surface Pro 4,
    Drool a little longer. It's out of stock
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Drool a little longer. It's out of stock
    I won't be giving PC World my hard earned!

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...ctID.326546100

And I'll save £350 by getting just the 256Gb...I don't need 512Gb.

And I'll save £350 by getting just the 256Gb...I don't need 512Gb.
    Save £700 by dropping to 8Gb of ram. Seems to me that HDD size nowadays isn't as important as it once was. Having lots of RAM is.

On the subject of Surface tablets, I wonder if the new non Pro versions will be running on a full Windows 10? That could persuade me to swap my Surface in a year or so. Hmmm.

That was the biggest con in the history of the world when they put the first ones like mine out. Windows 8 my bottom!! It's RT, a cut down version, and loads of things don't work on it. Only the Pro are on the real thing.

Edit: Another stroke of genius shot down in flames. In the small print of the FAQ of upgrading to 10, I note that Windows RT won't upgrade to 10. Grrrr.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 10-12-2015 at 03:45 PM.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    A little tip. I'd stay well clear of TurboyourPC. Any program that flags up on malware info sites and Googling it brings up "Malware Removal Instructions" simply isn't worth the risk. Instead, use something with a good reputation such as CCleaner.

As for the Tracktor comments, well, I haven't used it for a few years now but I did use it for a while and it was very resource-intensive even on my well-specced Dell Inspiron. If it's changed then great but I'm really settled with VDJ now so that's my software of choice!
    Yes i actually run CC most days and also go to App Data and delete all temp files.

This was something i had to do to make my old Ipod be recognised by my old PC but seems to generally help.

CRAZY K

Anyone want a fully working Acer Ferrari 4000?
    Possibly, if I can get mates rates and you can wait till after Christmas . Email me the specs and a price.