Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: New laptop time.

Can you stretch another £30?

Bigger screen and better res

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/comput...38278-pdt.html

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMD View Post
    Can you stretch another £30?

Bigger screen and better res

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/comput...38278-pdt.html
    Well yes, but: Screen size is bigger, but I don't regard that as an advantage, as space issues come into play. The body of the Toshiba is an inch and a half wider than the HP, and it's ruled out on that alone. While it has the valuable extra USB port, the processor is slower too. Thanks for pointing it out, though.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    OK folks, despite your earnest advice to the contrary, fiscal prudence dictates another trip to Currys/PCW.

What would you chose from the shortlist of four?
    I'd rule out the AMD processor straight away. I don't know if this is still a current issue, but historically AMD processors have given USB controllers reliability issues. Out of the remaining machines, I would immediately gravitate towards the i5 HP. It's a much better machine than the ACER's (in terms of reliability, cost and availability of spare parts, processor and likely overall performance).

I would point out (again) that this machine is an equivalent competitor the DELL machines I linked to on eBay for £150. One day you're going to need to kick PCWorld into touch, I'd be inclined to make that day sooner rather than later...

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    I'd rule out the AMD processor straight away. I don't know if this is still a current issue, but historically AMD processors have given USB controllers reliability issues. Out of the remaining machines, I would immediately gravitate towards the i5 HP. It's a much better machine than the ACER's (in terms of reliability, cost and availability of spare parts, processor and likely overall performance).

I would point out (again) that this machine is an equivalent competitor the DELL machines I linked to on eBay for £150. One day you're going to need to kick PCWorld into touch, I'd be inclined to make that day sooner rather than later...

Julian
    Great advice Jules,all the new ones have Windows 10 who needs it i have found that 7 pro is the best and you can get a good laptop for £ 150-£ 200 take the advice and save yourself a bit of money.

Julian, I take your advice on board, and I hadn't realised I could upgrade the ones you linked to. Must read the whole thing, next time.

If I'd had £300 burning a hole in my pocket, I'd undoubtedly have

bought the Swarms.
    Anyway, the deed is done, the HP is sitting next to me as I type. Finance made the decision for me, and getting a £600 laptop for £400 was a nice bonus.

When I've given it to the IT department ( who seems to be sunning himself in foreign climes, currently ) I'll let you know how it goes. ( And if it's an absolute disaster, I'll admit it )

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    When I've given it to the IT department ( who seems to be sunning himself in foreign climes, currently ) I'll let you know how it goes. ( And if it's an absolute disaster, I'll admit it )
    There's no doubt that it's an all right laptop. It's PC World that are usually the disaster
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

I bought my current laptop from PC World as a refurb & it's been absolutely fine. Oh, but that was after I did a clean installation of Windows 7 because it was riddled with HP & PC World software slowing it down. Would I use PC World again? Internet shopping yes. I'd much rather not have to talk to any of their staff. I'm sure they're not all lying sharks but...

I always follow the best deal I can find at the time & I'm techy enough to be able to handle the vast majority of issues any computer user can encounter. I pity the people who have to blindly rely on shop staff though

+1 for HDD, definitely

Right, now we've done the easy one, let's make it harder.

Tablet time. No, not my dried frog pills, nurse.

I have a Surface 10" tablet, which does a lot of things I want. I like it. The lease is just about up on this now, and currently PC World have knocked £70 off the Surface 3, making it around £350. I was all set to go for this, but having been somewhat singed by Microshaft's con trick with the first one, a little more digging was needed.
    The Knowhow lad I spoke to stated categorically that the Surface 3 isn't running full fat Windows 10, but RT again. This would run a couple more apps than the one I have, but nothing wildly different. My upgrade would basically be Windows 10 and a newer machine. Not a huge step forward, I feel.

So, three options.
    1) Stick. Buy the existing one at the end of the lease. Not an arm and a leg, and I've now got used to it.
    2) Twist. Give the old one back ( cos I've got no need for two, and the wife wants an ipad mini ) and go for the surface 3. I'll probably get a few bob back this way, cos they're keen for me to renew.
    3) Spend money. There's a cast iron upgrade possible, ticks all the boxes. Full Windows 10, 12" screen, so less strain on the old mince pies, The Surface Pro. Why haven't I rushed out to get one? Savvy shoppers will know already.

It costs £750!!!!! Do I need an upgrade that much?
    Thoughts please, bearing in mind that Apple products aren't an option ( unless I keep the Surface, and buy the wife an ipad mini ) and I'm not overly keen on Android.