Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Room filling light effect

I've used two jelly domes for years and they'r e still kicking around when I've swapped out everything else including much more fancy and expensive fixtures...

You really need to dmx them or at least use the remote for anything other Tha 18ths ir kids parties but they are great to look at, look good around the room and give a decent wash - you don't get that with any of the globe type effects as they have black casings.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    I've used two jelly domes for years and they'r e still kicking around when I've swapped out everything else including much more fancy and expensive fixtures...
    Pretty much this.

I was after a similar thing a while ago and I went for a pair of Cameo Moonflower HP's - the reason being they are 32watt with a heatsink.

I run them on DMX and when they are not running there is no noise - me-likey !

Quote Originally Posted by RobKennedy View Post
    I was after a similar thing a while ago and I went for a pair of Cameo Moonflower HP's - the reason being they are 32watt with a heatsink.

Very nice indeed. And not made by ADJ which is always a bonus. Cheaper than the Quad Phase HP too by a good margin.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Very nice indeed. And not made by ADJ which is always a bonus. Cheaper than the Quad Phase HP too by a good margin.
    The downfall of the quad phase HP's is the loud fans that run all the time, so useless for any quiet applications, so thats a big bonus. Thats a good price also, although i prefer the design of the QP-HP's. I am also guessing its just a modified quad phase rather than a completely new designed light? The inner working of the HP are rather impressive.
    Last edited by yourdj; 22-12-2015 at 05:19 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    The downfall of the quad phase HP's is the loud fans that run all the time, so useless for any quiet applications, so thats a big bonus. Thats a good price also, although i prefer the design of the QP-HP's. I am also guessing its just a modified quad phase rather than a completely new designed light? The inner working of the HP are rather impressive.
    I think you're right and its a reworked version of the quad phase and the reason I got them (I used to have a pair of the original quad phase's). I'm really pleased with them when I want to light up a room and can't use smoke (which in my experience is pretty much all the time now). I base the lighting on what looks good without smoke/haze now - I've made the mistake of choosing an effect based on what looks good at the exhibition etc and then is a bit naff when there is no smoke and the function room bar is brighter than the sun !

I think you're right and its a reworked version of the quad phase and the reason I got them (I used to have a pair of the original quad phase's). I'm really pleased with them when I want to light up a room and can't use smoke (which in my experience is pretty much all the time now). I base the lighting on what looks good without smoke/haze now - I've made the mistake of choosing an effect based on what looks good at the exhibition etc and then is a bit naff when there is no smoke and the function room bar is brighter than the sun !
    Yes always annoys me at show rooms, exhibitions & online videos when they fill a room with smoke and then demo the light. I had not used smoke of haze for years but have one that i can tweak now, so can set it to suit the room so you can't see it, but can see beams which quadruples the effect on the HP/Quadphase. I think I only paid £180 for both of mine with bags with 30 hrs use, so got a good deal there. Would probably have got your ones otherwise.

I do like the look of those ADJ quad phase myself

Regards this smoke thing - I just checked my diary and I did 66 gigs this year - in total the number of gigs (venues) where I was requested not to use the hazer was three (despite me trying to expalin it would not cause a problem) ...... and out of those three I DJed at two of the venues again later in the year and they both let me use my hazer on the second occasion at each after I asked nicely and this time explained (and showed it working) that it would not cause problems with the smoke alarms so they let me use it, and true to form it did not cause a problem.

This is not 'opinion' it is proof from my booking stats from this year.

What I can't figure is why other folks here seem to have a different experience of this, IMHO Smoke/Haze adds to the atmoshere at a disco (both literally and figuratively) otherwise why did they invent the idea? And used sensibly does no harm whatoever. I can't be the only one here to use it almost all the time surely??

As an aside and with my punters head on - if I was personally booking a venue for a party who told me I couldn't have haze I would tell them I would be holding my party somewhere else thank you very much!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by dicky View Post
    I do like the look of those ADJ quad phase myself

Regards this smoke thing - I just checked my diary and I did 66 gigs this year - in total the number of gigs (venues) where I was requested not to use the hazer was three (despite me trying to expalin it would not cause a problem) ...... and out of those three I DJed at two of the venues again later in the year and they both let me use my hazer on the second occasion at each after I asked nicely and this time explained (and showed it working) that it would not cause problems with the smoke alarms so they let me use it, and true to form it did not cause a problem.

This is not 'opinion' it is proof from my booking stats from this year.

What I can't figure is why other folks here seem to have a different experience of this, IMHO Smoke/Haze adds to the atmoshere at a disco (both literally and figuratively) otherwise why did they invent the idea? And used sensibly does no harm whatoever. I can't be the only one here to use it almost all the time surely??

As an aside and with my punters head on - if I was personally booking a venue for a party who told me I couldn't have haze I would tell them I would be holding my party somewhere else thank you very much!

Rich
    I use my hazer at every gig in my ressy - bar one where I was asked not to use it because of the birthday girl having asthma. Always go easy on it - we had one instance of a fire alarm going off which my hazer was blamed for but it later emerged somebody'd been smoking a cig at reception & there's no way haze made it that far

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    I use my hazer at every gig in my ressy - bar one where I was asked not to use it because of the birthday girl having asthma. Always go easy on it - we had one instance of a fire alarm going off which my hazer was blamed for but it later emerged somebody'd been smoking a cig at reception & there's no way haze made it that far
    My old hazer (small Kam one) was just on and off, so I forgot on some occasions and set off alarms in 3 venues.
    Not a good idea, although on one there were a load of ecig'ers and i did not react much and they though it was them.

Decided wisely to buy the one I have now. Only cost £95 b stock as well.