Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Room filling light effect

Quote Originally Posted by dicky View Post
    What I can't figure is why other folks here seem to have a different experience of this, IMHO Smoke/Haze adds to the atmoshere at a disco (both literally and figuratively) otherwise why did they invent the idea? And used sensibly does no harm whatoever. I can't be the only one here to use it almost all the time surely??

As an aside and with my punters head on - if I was personally booking a venue for a party who told me I couldn't have haze I would tell them I would be holding my party somewhere else thank you very much!

Rich
    I don't often get a chance to use haze. I will always ask (unless it's a marquee or clearly no sensors). I've only been to one hotel where they've not had any issues and this was because they put covers over the alarms haha.

I think I will be going ahead with the ADJ mini dekker as it's a small fixture. Brighter than starball I'm theory (3w vs 10w) more lenses and half the price. As It won't be the main attraction and probably used solo while other lights are off I think it'll be bright enough. Seems to look a bit like a mirror ball effect when used slowly too

Went to buy it though and they've sold out everywhere for 4 weeks! I'm clearly not the only one interested in this light!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    I don't often get a chance to use haze. I will always ask.
    Hmm maybe that is the reason? - I never ask I always leave it to the venue to tell me

Rich

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dicky View Post
    Hmm maybe that is the reason? - I never ask I always leave it to the venue to tell me

Rich
    Better to ask for forgiveness than seek permission.

So, silly but sensible question as mine's just blown up .....

What are YOU using for haze effects which don't trigger the alarms? (machine and juice).

My last one was a QTX, which did a good job, but used smoke fluid and could get a bit thick at times.

I tend to use my e-cig a lot these days (saves going outside on these wet and windy winter's evenings) and it doesn't make the smoke alarms complain (I did a gig at the end of November where the sensor was a couple of feet above my head...right in the middle of my booth!!!)

Is there anything out there which produces something along the lines of steam for instance?

Open to ideas, as most of the lights I use (apart from the 80's rig) look sooooo much better with a little "atmosphere"

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post

Is there anything out there which produces something along the lines of steam for instance?

A kettle?

I'm in discussion with my venue at the moment about using some gizmo to produce light beams. I showed them footage from a recent concert I was at and asked if we could try a few things (courtesy of a local supplier) to see if the alarm system got triggered. The maintenance manager thinks it ought to be possible to temporarily disconnect the alarm so it does not sound (should it be activated) throughout the hotel during our test so only the test room is affected (or hopefully not)!

However, the general manager is not too keen.

What are YOU using for haze effects which don't trigger the alarms? (machine and juice).

My last one was a QTX, which did a good job, but used smoke fluid and could get a bit thick at times.

I tend to use my e-cig a lot these days (saves going outside on these wet and windy winter's evenings) and it doesn't make the smoke alarms complain (I did a gig at the end of November where the sensor was a couple of feet above my head...right in the middle of my booth!!!)

Open to ideas, as most of the lights I use (apart from the 80's rig) look sooooo much better with a little "atmosphere"
    Most of the haze machines are really smoke machines whith lighter fluid,if you want a true hazer have a look at the Tour hazer mark 2 this machine has excellent reviews on Thomann site this company has done lots off testing on the fluid and uses very little and will produce a very fine haze,i have never set of a alarm ever. Also you could look at creacked oil machine these are a different tecnology and used by the pros only drawback they leave a residue but that is not a problem as you wont be using it in the same venue continually.

Or just burn something in the kitchen....burnt pork fat works brilliantly with a spherion.....

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    Or just burn something in the kitchen....burnt pork fat works brilliantly with a spherion.....
    That'll set off the smoke alarms. Mrs. Benny can confirm that.

QTX light fluid and a standard machine (Gear4DJs StratoHaze 600W) with minute control on timer. I tend to put the output on max, interval on the shortest setting and tweak the duration to suit. Its usually at 9-10pm. No problems yet and i have not asked the venue, they don't tend to notice tbh as its just shows around the lighting beams. The fan broke on day 2 of using it, but its better as it still works fine and does not make noise anymore.

If I was to buy another one I would buy the one thomann does. i am also getting a bulk load of their haze fluid.

Name:  chauvet-lighting_hurricane_haze_3D_2-channel_dmx_hazer_haze_machine_hc-t_remote.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  19.7 KB
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I use a Kam Khm600.
    And it's alright, cost around £100. Is essentially just a trickle of smoke blown through a fan though and feel like a smoke machine with light fluid and a fan would be identical! Used it about 20 nights roughly and still working well.

My main issue is the remote, I wish I could set the interval to an actual time rather than just guessing! And it doesn't do a tiny amount constantly.

I did a test and it will struggle to set off fire alarms with normal use. Brought smoke detector to 1m off ground in thick haze and didn't go off till I pointed the machine right at it.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD