Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Room filling light effect

Quote Originally Posted by musicology View Post
    Just read it and have learnt something about smoke detectors. Very interesting and I have signed up and added my own bit of input via a comment.
    Good article apart from the first bit.

Even more annoying is the fact that smoke detectors are there to detect a fire when people are not there to see it or smell it and active the fire alarm – with a typical open venue room full of people there is absolutely no need for smoke detectors to be active in the room at all!

I dont blame a venue manager for not switching off a smoke machine, I would not even if I owned it. Most venues have kitchens, cupboards and other non attended spaces. Even is it is one big hall and a fire ignites quickly, imagine the court tribunal Lawyer, they would have a field day.

So mr Smith why did you turn off the fire protection system, resulting in serious burns to three children? so that the guests could see the pretty lights

A good point is that he does not use it until later, its worth noting that photographers can really struggle to get a good shot, especially when using flash. It also limits the impact pod it going off at the early stages, as people are not so bothered later in the evening, assuming nothing is going on.
    Last edited by yourdj; 31-12-2015 at 09:04 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    A good point is that he does not use it until later, its worth noting that photographers can really struggle to get a good shot, especially when using flash.
    I've taken photos in large venues before using a big flashgun and smoke/haze can usually be very easily removed in post processing using Lightroom or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    It also limits the impact pod it going off at the early stages, as people are not so bothered later in the evening, assuming nothing is going on.
    What? You mean nothing like all the other hotel guests are asleep?

I do think I get what you mean, there are no key wedding events going on (like the first dance, buffet, formal meal, photographs, speeches, etc).

I have my own opinion on this subject - while fog/haze does make lights look awesome, I personally don't think it's worth risking spoiling someone's party. I've toyed with the idea of buying a decent hazer a few times and I've come to the conclusion that if I would need a really good reason to spend the kind of money needed to get a hazer which I could have faith in not to trip alarms (I'm discounting any of the sub-£300 fog/hazer hybrids here).

Julian
    Last edited by DJ Jules; 31-12-2015 at 10:14 AM.
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

If you want a haze machine that wont set off any alarms buy one of these http://www.smokemachines.net/buy-pro-hazer.shtml i have used for many years and only needs about 2 min use at start of the gig and thats it you cant see it or smell it most venue managers dont know you have even used it.

I keep going back and looking but the price is a lot. One day I'll go for it! Good to hear from someone who actually uses one. I wasn't sure about the hang time claimed but you have confirmed that it works well. Cheers

Default disco ball

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    Seen a few threads about this from a while back but nothing too recent ... so:
    I'm looking into "room filling" effects which aren't too big like the revo lights to be mounted in the middle of a T-bar in this configuration:

PAR - Moving Head - ??ROOM FILLER?? - Moving Head - PAR

Currently I'm looking at either a jellydome or a cluster laser (shudder) which I don't personally mind.
    Really I want a white light and don't care too much for other colours It'll just be used by itself during slow parts in tracks or to simply give a different effect.
    It's got to be DMX, Fill dancefloor (ideally room) and not a huge effect as It's gotta fit in the middle of all those lights.

Having never seen a jellydome I've been interested but not convinced. Are there any better alternatively though?
    i just use my disco ball