Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: COLLECTING PAYMENT BY DEBIT/CREDIT CARDS

Default COLLECTING PAYMENT BY DEBIT/CREDIT CARDS

Just wondered what the most cost effective method is now--

I have seen various deals over the years but wondered whats best now, my son is considering for next year.

I seem to recall something called nocheques or something similar that Angela and Corabar Steve were using.

Thanks

ALAN
    CRAZY K

Useful reading here, towards the end.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Useful reading here, towards the end.
    Thanks Peter, will chat to Marc as need to discuss website matters.

ALAN

I use 'Sels' quite easy and customisable.
    Last edited by Shaun; 30-12-2015 at 07:31 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I use PayPal, not really looked elsewhere. Might there be a better option?

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K View Post
    Thanks Peter, will chat to Marc as need to discuss website matters.
    I setup another client with a payment page on SSL using Stripe account just before Christmas. It really is very easy to do, the whole thing took less than an hour

I have just taken a booking from this chap at Rhinefield today.
    They are a great couple and looks like they run a very good business!!

Won tons of awards. Mention me if any of you contact them (including lurkers).

Carl Churchill
    Managing Director
    NetPay Solutions Group Limited
    M: UK: 07816 898978 IRE: 085 863 7912
    T: UK: 03333 110201 IRE: 01 447 5301
    W: www.netpay.co.uk ¦ www.netpay.ie

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    I use PayPal, not really looked elsewhere. Might there be a better option?

I used to use Paypal, until I worked out how much it was costing me each year!!
    I have used online banking ever since.

The SELS is good for cheap payments only on transactions and is very customisable with Wordpress.
    Last edited by yourdj; 31-12-2015 at 04:00 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    I have just taken a booking from this chap at Rhinefield today.
    They are a great couple and looks like they run a very good business!!

Won tons of awards. Mention me if any of you contact them (including lurkers).

Carl Churchill
    Managing Director
    NetPay Solutions Group Limited
    M: UK: 07816 898978 IRE: 085 863 7912
    T: UK: 03333 110201 IRE: 01 447 5301
    W: www.netpay.co.uk ¦ www.netpay.ie

I used to use Paypal, until I worked out how much it was costing me each year!!
    I have used online banking ever since.

The SELS is good for cheap payments only on transactions and is very customisable with Wordpress.
    Online banking we use all the time but sometimes for short notice events we need something quicker than a promise to pay.

I take it you are not recommending net pay?

Excuse my ignorance but what is SELS?

Been reading some feedback stuff on Stripe yesterday which might push us towards a company with phone contact.

Thanks

ALAN

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K View Post
    Been reading some feedback stuff on Stripe yesterday which might push us towards a company with phone contact.
    Stripe's rates are among the cheapest you'll find. The minute you choose manned customer support, phone support etc. etc. this all costs money, and so those who offer that will be more expensive.

Stripe is also very, very easy to use, with loads of online examples for connecting to their API. I've worked with a lot of payment gateways and, trust me, that isn't always the case.

I've seen bad reviews of Stripe (probably the same ones you saw), mostly when integrating with Shopify (who I think recommend them). This is usually by people starting up selling online, who don't understand how taking payments online works (i.e. that all the risk is ultimately with the seller). If there's a chargeback it's not the processor (Stripe) who keep the money, it's refunded to the cardholder. All these "Stripe stole my £xxxx" reviews are ridiculous - what's far more likely is that they accepted a payment where only a valid card number was used, with no postcode or CVC (3 digits on the back) match, and despatched goods.

The postcode and CVC check are OFF by default when you sign up to Stripe - the first thing you should do is set these both to ON (and make sure when you use the API that you pass this data to Stripe - if it isn't included it isn't checked, and the payment will go through). Then look carefully at each payment that comes in. On Shaun's there's a reference that's passed in the data, which could be a name, venue, date etc...it's also a required field. So you'll be able to match up payments to clients. If setup correctly it works very well, and you get your money in 7 days.

If you don't know what you're doing, and you're selling (for example) bespoke bracelets through an online store to the whole world, using Stripe without checking postcode / CVC, and package up £2k worth of your hard work to the first order that comes in from Nigeria with a Russian credit card then whose fault is that, really? These are the vast majority of bad reviews for any payment gateway you'll find (and most reviews are bad - people rarely rush to the keyboard when nothing goes wrong).

In summary - Alan, I'd recommend Stripe to you and probably to anyone else from this forum looking for good rates. For the types of transactions there probably wouldn't be any issues - you're taking booking fees or full payments for events in the future when you know 100% who the customer is - if for any reason there's a chargeback (and I can't think why there would be - unless the customer claims to the credit card company that the quality of the service provided wasn't as promised ) just get the payment some other way (BACS / Paypal / Cash / Invoice / whatever). It's not as if you've posted goods out and risk losing anything. And enable all fraud checks in your Stripe account when you sign up!

Further reading: https://support.stripe.com/questions...d-and-disputes
    Last edited by Marc J; 01-01-2016 at 04:22 PM.