Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to set up music for VDJ. Internal or external storage?

All this partitioning sounds like a lot of work for no purpose?

Don't you just point VDJ to the folder you put all the music in and then after analyzing it it's ready to go?

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Partitioning big drives into smaller chunks is a throwback to days of old when disk sizes exceeded the maximum usable partition size in ancient versions of windows. Now it's not an issue just make a folder anywhere you like.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Partitioning big drives into smaller chunks is a throwback to days of old when disk sizes exceeded the maximum usable partition size in ancient versions of windows. Now it's not an issue just make a folder anywhere you like.

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    With Win10 I didn't find it risky at all. And I didn't have to reinstall anything. It was merely a case of using Windows inbuilt drive management tool to shrink the large partition to little more than is needed by the OS then turn the "stripey" space in to a new partition. Then, shrink that partition and repeat until you have all the required "drives" that you need. It was really easy to do - a complete doddle.

It's not necessary but, for the purposes of VDJ, you can actually assign the drive letters to the partitions that you used on the external HDD and then copy the original media over to your new partitions and VDJ will automatically recognise your media as it did before without having to recurse your library. For example, my external drive had letters M, N and X. I assigned these letters to my new partitions and copied the relevant media from the external HDD to the relevant partitions on the internal drive so the entire tree structure was the same (in the eyes of VDJ, anyway). And it works fine for me!
    Now there, Darren, is a good argument for repartitioning the drive. I had no idea Windows had finally caught up with Linux & included that feature.

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    Peter, I did this very thing back in August when I got my new laptop with a 1.5Tb internal HDD.

What I did, and it's easy as pie, was to partition the drive.
    That's easy for you to say, Smartarse.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMD View Post
    USB3 speed is as quick if not quicker than most laptop hard drives.
    Surely the transfer speed is dictated by the disk rotation speed. Or do drives vary by manufacturer and things? When I used Cortex, I used to get the fastest drives I could afford.

Now there, Darren, is a good argument for repartitioning the drive. I had no idea Windows had finally caught up with Linux & included that feature.
    Come on lads, have pity on an old bloke. I ask a simple question, and I know less after the answers arrive than before I asked.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    That's easy for you to say, Smartarse.

Easy to say - even easier to do!!

Surely the transfer speed is dictated by the disk rotation speed. Or do drives vary by manufacturer and things? When I used Cortex, I used to get the fastest drives I could afford.

Rotation speed is a factor but if it's an external drive then USB connectivity is an even bigger factor. USB3 is way faster at transferring data than USB2 and let's not even think of USB1.1! If it's an internal drive then USB is taken out of the equation but most drives spin fast enough that you would hardly notice any difference in the time it takes your tracks to load. The biggest factors in this scenario would be processor speed and amount of RAM.

Come on lads, have pity on an old bloke. I ask a simple question, and I know less after the answers arrive than before I asked.
    Like I said, Peter. If you are only using the machine for gigging, then I'd stay with internal storage of your media library. No need to worry about USB transfer speeds, less hardware to carry around with you and an extra free USB port available for the important things like USB-powered christmas tree, cup warmer or mini vaccuum!!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Just make a folder, put yer music in it & point VDJ at it. Done :-)

That's what I do anyway. I've got a mini USB HDD I use to do a backup each week and copy to my backup machine (both machines are mirrors of each other), and it just works. I use a program (the name of which escapes me at the moment) which only backs up changes and will mirror those to the backup machine at the press of a couple of buttons, i.e. synchronises them.

No matter how your internal HDD is set up though (if you only have the one that is....one of my machines has two), back up is I.M.P.O.R.T.A.N.T (it goes without saying). If everything's on one drive and that drive decides to come down here to the sunny south...you've had it nine times out of ten.

And forget the USB Xmas tree - my spare port's for a USB powered fan

And back up on either a SSD or USB3 HD Belief me I didn't believe in back ups until my laptop completely failed while sound-checking. Thankfully, external HD with me with a copy of VDJ on it saved the party