Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone use an estate for smaller gigs?

Default Anyone use an estate for smaller gigs?

Apologies if it's been covered before but anyone who does gigs or 150 and under use a smaller mode of transport such as an Estate car?

I've used an estate for bigger gigs, and with a bit of Tetris packing back in the day could get my biggest rig ( 2 x wharfedale evp-x15, cd/mixer, 2 x irock 5b, 2 x ishow 4, 2 x irock 5c, 2m wind up truss, speaker stands and 4ft deck stand and 4 slapped trolley cd cases ) into a nissan primera hatch and still had room for a passenger. It's all a question of packing and takes longer to pack/unpack at the end of a night.
    My brother in law used to be able to fit a fair sized rig into a pug 106.
    Be prepared for lots of damaged trim though. My headlining was scuffed to death as we're the door cards and there was a mark on one of the seats from a hot smoke machine. It stank of mint fog favouring too after a couple of splillages

I manage to get my 'full' rig in my Pug 307 hatchback.. that's 2 active 15" speakers, ultimax 4 ft stand with shelves & uprights, front panel screen (like equinox screen), 2x scanners, 2x lasers, hazer, led moonflowers, Chauvet WashFX, mixer case, laptop case, controller case & mic case, Stairville LED PAR bar, Equinox GigaBar, tripods... oh and the cable box.. and I still likely have space for a 15" sub

I'm planning on getting a van at some point though. Or maybe something like a Pug Partner carvan.

Me

Liteconsole
    2xhk nano 600s
    Large mixer case
    Rock n roller
    Bags for liggting
    Bags for cable
    Case for cable rucksake with laptops, paperwork, camera, change of gear etc...

And I can still see out the back window

Default estate

Cheers for info guys.

I ran two cars last year and i found it expensive. I drive an audi a4 convertible at moment and even without the need to use a car for mobile work i was looking to change it.

Hence one car that does it all.

I do all mine with an estate too

Always used to get all of mine in a Passat estate but I recently got a RAV 4 you can take the back seats fully out with great ease, wished I had changed years ago now much easier, space is a little more but but seems a lot more and the bonus is if we get any snow I should be able to get there.

PS I've never tried with my other car.

I'd managed to fit a full rig including 2 podiums into a fiat punto active. It got wrecked inside with scratches! I would suggest a big Skoda! Love mine! 4 wheel drive if you can get one? Maybe that's just cos I am in Scotland though and some venues are in mountains. Ahh miss the wee punto but needs must eh!

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Disco View Post
    Always used to get all of mine in a Passat estate but I recently got a RAV 4 you can take the back seats fully out with great ease,
    Pug 308 is anything between a 7 seat MPV ( although 2 passengers have to be children ) and a van.

Never forget though, estate cars don't have bulkheads. Have you ever seen the centre of a lighting tripod extend under braking? I have. A dog guard might be some help.

Alternatively, get a trailer. You'll be limited to 50mph ( but effectively, so is Thunderbird 2 ) and manoeuvring is trickier with the trailer.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Default bulkhead

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Pug 308 is anything between a 7 seat MPV ( although 2 passengers have to be children ) and a van.

Never forget though, estate cars don't have bulkheads. Have you ever seen the centre of a lighting tripod extend under braking? I have. A dog guard might be some help.

Alternatively, get a trailer. You'll be limited to 50mph ( but effectively, so is Thunderbird 2 ) and manoeuvring is trickier with the trailer.
    Yes i have read a fair bit about bulkheads etc, but same scenario for anyone carrying anything in an estate inc Ikea flat pack stuff etc.

Can't really afford to run two cars again. If i was gigging a few times pw then sure thing i would get a peugeot partner van or a transit