Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Laptop Advice (Again)

I would recommend optimising your laptop for DJing. Here's a good guide here (you can Google for others):

http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Common...%20Issues.html

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Conversely, if you strip it down as far as you can, never connect to the internet, and only really use your DJ software, I'd expect it not to slow down dramatically.
    I thought VDJ8 required you to connect to the internet periodically as a security measure so that you can verify your copy of the software?
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Conversely, if you strip it down as far as you can, never connect to the internet, and only really use your DJ software, I'd expect it not to slow down dramatically.
    I'd expect it not to slow down at all.

The biggest culprits for slowing my computer have been iTunes, Yahoo, and YouTube, in that order.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

I am no tech geek, but i have found iTunes very useful indeed and has never once let me down. Sorting tracks and playlists in iTunes allowing Serato to read it and then also storing a backup of all of that on iTunes match has been totally invaluable to me, especially when exporting history playlists and storing them on iTunes as M3U folders. You should have no bother with your Macbook pro, especially if you upgrade to an SSD, whether you are surfing the internet, doing your accounts, playing games or designing marketing materials.
    Last edited by yourdj; 07-01-2016 at 01:27 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    I thought VDJ8 required you to connect to the internet periodically as a security measure so that you can verify your copy of the software?
    I'm glad you raised that. I can show off now, with my technological skills.

As far as I can understand, users who never connect their machines to the internet can go online with another computer to get a key to enable use of VDJ8.

What I think you're referring to is the facility where you can play music you don't have. Content unlimited? I'm fairly sure that will indeed require an internet connection.

Apologies if I got it all wrong.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Name:  IMG_2901.JPG
Views: 162
Size:  18.3 KBName:  IMG_2904.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  37.8 KBName:  IMG_2902.JPG
Views: 160
Size:  12.3 KBName:  IMG_2903.JPG
Views: 158
Size:  20.7 KB

Here is my new laptop which was described as A2 refurbished although i appreciate that its not a brand new unit i would expect that all the fixing screws on the bottom panel to be there

There is also a really deep scratch along the full length of the bottom casing!

This along with a diabolical delivery service and the customer service is awful too called them twice today and have been on hold for ten minutes each time!

Its the first and last time i will ever use laptops direct.

It cost me £1099!

Under the 'distance selling regulations' you can demand your money back within 7 days without even giving a reason, if you are within this period get on to them, don't delay, and don't be fobbed off.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    Under the 'distance selling regulations' you can demand your money back within 7 days without even giving a reason, if you are within this period get on to them, don't delay, and don't be fobbed off.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasPM View Post

Here is my new laptop which was described as A2 refurbished although i appreciate that its not a brand new unit i would expect that all the fixing screws on the bottom panel to be there

This along with a diabolical delivery service and the customer service is awful too called them twice today and have been on hold for ten minutes each time!

It cost me £1099!
    The clue is in the description - Grade A2. This allows for cosmetic issues such as visible wear and tear, scuffs, marks and scratches, and other visual issues that don't affect the operation of the product. So long as the computer works as described then the description is good and lawful. It is strange about the missing screws, though. But, again, these won't affect the operation of the machine so long as there still enough screws in place to hold the casing together.

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    No you can't because the Distance Selling Regulations (DSRs) are no longer in place. They were withdrawn with effect from the 13th June 2014 and were replaced by the Consumer Contracts Regulations (2014) which, in turn, sets the Consumer Rights Directive in to UK Law. Quote your rights under the Consumer Contracts Regulations and you might get somewhere. Quote DSR and you won't.

I'm glad you raised that. I can show off now, with my technological skills.

As far as I can understand, users who never connect their machines to the internet can go online with another computer to get a key to enable use of VDJ8.

What I think you're referring to is the facility where you can play music you don't have. Content unlimited? I'm fairly sure that will indeed require an internet connection.

Apologies if I got it all wrong.
    Nope, I definitely wasn't referring to ContentUnlimited (CU). I was referring to the discussions on the VDJ forums whereby users have had to login to their VDJ accounts to continue to use VDJ8. I'm not using V8 just yet (cos I'm still scared as there are apparently still issues with Win10 for some users and, knowing my luck, I'll end up as one of them!) so I don't have personal experience of this but, as a regular on the forums, I'm aware this happens. Atomix have said it's an anti-piracy measure as having to sporadically verify your licence means that pirated copies will eventually stop working as the user won't have the required licence and account details.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasPM View Post

It cost me £1099!
    I would be happy with that at grade 2 (which is usually the odd scratch etc.), especially as another bottom case only costs about £25. My I7 2.8ghz machine cost £400 and it had clearly been dropped so had a few dinks but has performed spotlessly, which is the main thing. Its quite a high price for a used machine so appreciate where your coming from. I bet they buy the badly listed deals (Like my one) off Ebay, refurbish and then mark them up. That should do you fine for many years.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    I would be happy with that at grade 2 (which is usually the odd scratch etc.), especially as another bottom case only costs about £25. My I7 2.8ghz machine cost £400 and it had clearly been dropped so had a few dinks but has performed spotlessly, which is the main thing. Its quite a high price for a used machine so appreciate where your coming from. I bet they buy the badly listed deals (Like my one) off Ebay, refurbish and then mark them up. That should do you fine for many years.
    To be honest after reading your responses i think im going to keep it and i am also negotiating with them for a discount i dont have the time to start the returns process as i have a gig on Saturday and im hoping to use the mac book (with my old lap top as a back up)

As a guy who i work with pointed out the scratches along the bottom so no one will ever see it!

I was just worried that the bad workmanship with the missing screws may point to more shoddy workmanship inside the unit!

PS yourDJ would you be so kind as to point me in the right direction so i can buy a case as im struggling to find one?