Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: GUILDHALL CAMBRIDGE

Default GUILDHALL CAMBRIDGE

We were there yesterday doing a Wild West Night Corporate in the upstairs Ballroom.

Firstly parking is a NIGHTMARE.

As is the traffic in general in Cambridge on a Saturday as locals will know.

We were promised reserved convenient parking places by the venue which then got cancelled mysteriously, apparently someone else more important to us was playing the Corn Exchange round the corner---nice eh?

We had to unload --see below-- then try and park and walk back, nearest Car Parks full all the time on a Saturday.

I ended up a mile or two up the road and had to be ferried back to the venue.

Access from the street on double yellows with shoppers walking through all your equipment, wonderful.

Inside building 50 yards to lift, then when on first floor same distance back to stage--designed by a genius.

Mains plugs about 15 feet in the air so have to scale a sheer five foot wooden bit of staging

I had to ask the helpful lady venue manager to do it for me---beyond me im afraid
    as im not an Olympic Gymnast.

Obviously not built when bands and discos were around

Venue staff very friendly but the time taken for parking, loading, unloading, and getting to set up and take down dreadful.

Combined with terrible traffic and lugging equipment over vast distances a definite candidate for premium rates.

Gig wise we had a brilliant night and my Disco spot later on was well received with all the usual suspects for middle aged audience--
    no drunks, whingers, complainers or throat slitters!!!!

Despite a 40 feet high ceiling the Peavey UL15s on their own were good enough.

The bonus on the way out of course at 2.30am--yes you guessed the DRUNKS.

As we were mob handed --5 of us--we felt relaxed, wouldnt want to do it on my own, highlight was the pleasantly drunk guy who asked if I could take him home in my Galaxy Taxi--not noticing it was full of equipment.

No problem pal, JUMP ON THE ROOF £100 cash as long as you want somewhere on my way home

Got to admit - I hate doing central Cambridge stuff and try to avoid where possible.
    The worst one I did was a wedding in Emmanuel college last year....had a reserved spot inside the college grounds (happy with that), but meant dragging the equipment through the courtyards over cobbled paths.....and THEN up to the first floor through the kitchens (yes folks - that's where some genius installed the lift!)

Agreed at the end of the night with the porters to bring my stuff down to the front gates (I was at the front of the building after all), and then back up onto their forecourt. This wasn't the easiest manoeuvre at 1 am with the number of drunks milling around in that area (right opposite the two "superpubs").

I don't mind doing the periphery of the city centre, but the actual centre itself I avoid at all costs now unless it's really worth my while

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Got to admit - I hate doing central Cambridge stuff and try to avoid where possible.
    The worst one I did was a wedding in Emmanuel college last year....had a reserved spot inside the college grounds (happy with that), but meant dragging the equipment through the courtyards over cobbled paths.....and THEN up to the first floor through the kitchens (yes folks - that's where some genius installed the lift!)

Agreed at the end of the night with the porters to bring my stuff down to the front gates (I was at the front of the building after all), and then back up onto their forecourt. This wasn't the easiest manoeuvre at 1 am with the number of drunks milling around in that area (right opposite the two "superpubs").

I don't mind doing the periphery of the city centre, but the actual centre itself I avoid at all costs now unless it's really worth my while
    Yes probably 50 per cent surcharge.

I did one gig at Ruskin College sort of on the outskirts and managed to park midweek down the side of the main building but still a marathon to the Students Union

Luckily they supplied playout so not too hard, 5kw of in house sound.

Wow they must have heard my voice in most of Cambridge that night