Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help choosing basic lights for small gigs

Default Help choosing basic lights for small gigs

Well i've asked for help choosing speakers, xlr adapters, transport for gigs and dj booth.Now it's lights

I don't see myself doing any gigs bigger than 200 . probably 50-150 people type of gig.

To light my booth i am looking the the Equinox RGB power batten :

https://www.djkit.com/equinox/equino...1EQaAiSK8P8HAQ

I also thought about an all in one lighting solution such as the Equinox Giga bar. :

https://www.djkit.com/equinox/equino...ar-system.html

Two American DJ Inno Pocket Spots seemed a good idea but i just need some practical advise. I will be using a very small peugeot partner or estate car so need a good compact lighting system.

Any advice guys?

Wash lighting is universal - it goes with everything so I'd suggest you go for some of that regardless of whether you're just starting out or not. Now, which form the wash lighting takes is up to you. I have an Equinox Gigabar and a Stairville Stage Tri LED Bundle. Both are very bright, and allow other lights to be mounted on them but the Gigabar has the edge over the Stairville because it has 2 switched power outlets which can be controlled with the wired footswitch, the IR remote and DMX.

One thing I'll say about the Gigabar & Stairville LED system is that you'll have to be careful not to dazzle people. Angle the heads down or point them at a nearby light coloured surface (e.g. a ceiling or wall). They're both so bright you really don't want people looking directly at them (unlike the chauvet Gigbar where I found I could stare directly into the wash parts without even being dazzled).

I can fit 2x 15" active speakers & stands, Ultimax 4ft booth & shelves, Equinox screen, 2x Chauvet Scorpion RGB lasers, Neo-Neon Hazer, 2x Equinox Ultra Scans, 2x Equinox Power Flower, Equinox Gigabar, Chauvet WashFX and a big box of cables in my Pug 307 with room to spare so you won't have any issues getting a small setup into a Partner. I do need a van next though

Having mentioned the Chauvet WashFX I'll say this: DON'T buy one unless you can DMX it or you'd be happy leaving it on a static colour. Seriously. Its built-in programs are AWFUL.

Oh, and if you want bright effects fixtures (and you would if you had a Gigabar), don't bother with any LED lights of less than 20W because they'll just get lost. The inno pocket series are only 10W and aren't very bright.

Default lights

I do like the look of the Solitaire Events Ltd set up.

Name:  solitaire events ltd.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  50.8 KB

I do not wants lights in my face though but that is a nice clean look right there, but thats not done on a low budget by the looks
    Last edited by mrrawuk; 16-01-2016 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Oh, and if you want bright effects fixtures (and you would if you had a Gigabar), don't bother with any LED lights of less than 20W because they'll just get lost. The inno pocket series are only 10W and aren't very bright.
    That being said my xmove+r heads are 10w and they are brighter than my xmoves which are 20w... The inno is actually 12w also...

Now I've sufficiently confused everybody you may continue

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by mrrawuk View Post
    that is a nice clean look right there, but thats not done on a low budget by the looks
    Which begs the question - what is your budget?
    Last edited by Excalibur; 16-01-2016 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    That being said my xmove+r heads are 10w and they are brighter than my xmoves which are 20w... The inno is actually 12w also...

You lost me at Xmove mate

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    Which begs the question - what is your budget?
    I was hoping to get decent lights for £600
    Last edited by Excalibur; 16-01-2016 at 11:45 AM. Reason: merged posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrrawuk View Post
    I was hoping to get decent lights for £600
    Doable. Compact wash lights

Add two of

These, or Chauvet Swarm
    Very lively, not suited to weddings and the like.

Much more restrained They'll give light centred on the dancefloor only.

95% of my work is done with a rig comprising equivalents to the first and third links.

The bar plus a pair of these would just creep over budget.

Significantly cheaper option

I agree with Juski about LED power, I'd say 20W is a minimum. Don't disregard older halogen effects, you may pick up some s/h units for peanuts.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Default lights

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Doable. Compact wash lights

Add two of

These, or Chauvet Swarm
    Very lively, not suited to weddings and the like.

Much more restrained They'll give light centred on the dancefloor only.

95% of my work is done with a rig comprising equivalents to the first and third links.

The bar plus a pair of these would just creep over budget.

Significantly cheaper option

I agree with Juski about LED power, I'd say 20W is a minimum. Don't disregard older halogen effects, you may pick up some s/h units for peanuts.

Cheers I shall take a look at those.

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post

Heh 12w. Okay. Anyway I made a point of getting up close to some at bpm and was very underwhelmed. My 25w LED scanners, you know about it when they catch you in the eye. An inno pocket spot, nah. It's actually less about power & more about the LED producing the light but power is the only way to get an idea. All the optics in my scanners are glass & the colours are dichroic which will doubtless help no end.

The only way to really know is to compare everything side by side.

I wonder what lighting will be on show at the demo day...

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post

I wonder what lighting will be on show at the demo day...
    Virtually none. It's about sound. Mind you, the second hand table.............................
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk