Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Equinox Dualize LED or Equinox Ultra Scan 25w?

Default Equinox Dualize LED or Equinox Ultra Scan 25w?

Which would be better for a small rig?

I have been offered the Equinox Ultras for £250 a pair inc padded bags, but the Dualizer LED is on offer at £79 each brand new.

Any advice guys?

I had a Dualize, not that impressed and not that bright.

You would get a better show with the Ultras, especially linked in master/slave

Default lights

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMD View Post
    I had a Dualize, not that impressed and not that bright.

You would get a better show with the Ultras, especially linked in master/slave
    Cheers for the reply.My use is smaller gigs but i guess not worth it if they are not bright enough.

If my memory serves the Dualize is a pair of LED Dotty things with moving mirrors. I considered it at one point then realised it was dotty so went for the ultras instead.

Now for the wisdom it's taken me a while to arrive at. Don't bother with scanners as effect lighting if you're only going to have two. Get a couple of space filling effects instead. If you work in venues where there's not enough room for the scanners to throw impressively they're pointless. Oh and without full DMX control the ultra scans are crazy, master slave or not they're always too manic.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    If my memory serves the Dualize is a pair of LED Dotty things with moving mirrors. I considered it at one point then realised it was dotty so went for the ultras instead.

Now for the wisdom it's taken me a while to arrive at. Don't bother with scanners as effect lighting if you're only going to have two. Get a couple of space filling effects instead. If you work in venues where there's not enough room for the scanners to throw impressively they're pointless. Oh and without full DMX control the ultra scans are crazy, master slave or not they're always too manic.
    I don't like crazy lights. In all my years as a dj i hate manic, frantic lighting lol. I am not sure it would be worth going DMX for the gigs i am doing. I always felt dmx is for bigger gigs.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrrawuk View Post
    I am not sure it would be worth going DMX for the gigs i am doing. I always felt dmx is for bigger gigs.
    You've mentioned quite a few times about doing gigs for 150-200 people - for weddings, that's a pretty big crowd.

Keep your mind open to the idea of DMX. If done right, it'll be worth more than the bum ache that comes with programming it.

Default lights

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    You've mentioned quite a few times about doing gigs for 150-200 people - for weddings, that's a pretty big crowd.

Keep your mind open to the idea of DMX. If done right, it'll be worth more than the bum ache that comes with programming it.
    DMX is another topic in itself. I want to go wireless but for 2 or three lights i don't think it would be worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post

I do gigs of up to 120 people and have only a handful of lights. I couldn't go back to not having DMX now. The foot controller and ir remote for my gigabar is just too cumbersome. Want a crossfade program? Stomp, stomp, stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp....

Not all my lights are wireless but anything without wireless DMX can sit next to something which is wireless. For 5 fixtures I'm down from 15 cables to just 6.

Quote Originally Posted by mrrawuk View Post
    DMX is another topic in itself. I want to go wireless but for 2 or three lights i don't think it would be worthwhile.
    You can make DMX as easy or as complicated as you want, don’t think you have to jump in at the deep end and create complicated scenes.

I just use a battery operated 6 channel DMX controller for two of my lights (Cheetahs) and adjust them on the fly, even when I had moving heads I only had one programmed scene for the first dance and then did the rest by moving the sliders in real time.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    You can make DMX as easy or as complicated as you want, don’t think you have to jump in at the deep end and create complicated scenes.

I just use a battery operated 6 channel DMX controller for two of my lights (Cheetahs) and adjust them on the fly, even when I had moving heads I only had one programmed scene for the first dance and then did the rest by moving the sliders in real time.
    That's a brilliant point. There's a lot to be said for only using DMX to control.which program a fixture uses and at what speed it runs. Easy peasy simples. Some of my controls in qlc do this too. Why reinvent the wheel?