Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: intro to DMX

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    That looks good Darren, a reasonable replacement for the GWDMX.
    A bit more expensive, but very user friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Events Ltd View Post
    If you want something similar, but less fussy and complicated than DMX, then watch the vids on YouTube for the ADJ Wifly NE1.

I have used both and the NE1 is easy to use and you can learn very quickly with it.
    Darren, I presume you missed out the " MY " before DMX, and are comparing the Wifly with that, not the basic one I linked to.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Darren, I presume you missed out the " MY " before DMX, and are comparing the Wifly with that, not the basic one I linked to.
    Nope, I'm comparing to a generic DMX controller that can be had for around £50-£60.

A bit more expensive, but very user friendly.
    Not got the time to look at it, but as you know the unit. could I:

1: Take any fixture (not just ADJ) and programme it in to set chases fired by each button. So it will range from static colours (1-4), slow chases (4-6) & party chases with varying degrees of intensity (6-10).

2: Will it work with generic wireless receivers?

I have been seriously thinking about developing my Toby DMX idea, but it will be a lot of work and this looks like it would be a good purchase for what is a pretty low cost (in my opinion) assuming it can do the above. I have pretty much 90% ADJ fixtures also, only the uplighting and laser are different makes.

This would be my ultimate DMX controller, so if it can do that then awesome!

Name:  12483375_1072918086086816_1714344068_n.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  38.6 KB
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Not got the time to look at it, but as you know the unit. could I:

1: Take any fixture (not just ADJ) and programme it in to set chases fired by each button. So it will range from static colours (1-4), slow chases (4-6) & party chases with varying degrees of intensity (6-10).

2: Will it work with generic wireless receivers?

I have been seriously thinking about developing my Toby DMX idea, but it will be a lot of work and this looks like it would be a good purchase for what is a pretty low cost (in my opinion) assuming it can do the above. I have pretty much 90% ADJ fixtures also, only the uplighting and laser are different makes.

This would be my ultimate DMX controller, so if it can do that then awesome!
    looks naff compared to my new controller
    Wireless, accelerometers ... was only like £40! So far I've programmed things like ... static colours, 3 strobe types, UV and blinder... need to get around to chases and the moving heads one day:

Name:  Orbit_Ortho_WebLG-624x390.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  135.4 KB

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Nope, I'm comparing to a generic DMX controller that can be had for around £50-£60.
    Ah. In that case, I apologise. My mistake.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    looks naff compared to my new controller
    Wireless, accelerometers ... was only like £40! So far I've programmed things like ... static colours, 3 strobe types, UV and blinder... need to get around to chases and the moving heads one day:

Name:  Orbit_Ortho_WebLG-624x390.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  135.4 KB
    That does look cool!! Awesome for some interactive nightclub Djing, especially with a live screen.
    Not seen this before, although its possibly a good reference as to where DJing is going next.

Last edited by yourdj; 18-01-2016 at 06:42 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

If you want something similar, but less fussy and complicated than DMX, then watch the vids on YouTube for the ADJ Wifly NE1.

I have used both and the NE1 is easy to use and you can learn very quickly with it.
    +1 for the NE1. Great little controller.

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    Software: Freestyler (£0)
    Hardware: USB to DMX cable (£13)

The hardware is a generic unbranded thingy "uDMX" is what it comes up as when you plug it in.
    It works great with windows 7 but it needs a bit of technical know how to install it for windows 10.
    I've just got into DMX myself over the past couple of weeks - and don't think there's going to be any going back now I'm getting to grips with it (something just "clicked" the other night)

As for the uDMX drivers on anything later than W7 - I can't get them to work without a lot of messing around each and every time I start up the laptop. I'm actually looking at utilizing an old Acer tablet which runs XP just for the light show stuff to be honest.

Default dmx

Well i finally have all the dj gear i needed to go mobile so thanks to all who advised and suggested items.

I will add DMX to it in the next two weeks and i am probably going to go with mydmx and the £10 usb item and free software.

It will be controlling 2 equinox LED 1m bars and a Gigabar for now.