Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: intro to DMX

Quote Originally Posted by mrrawuk View Post
    Well i finally have all the dj gear i needed to go mobile so thanks to all who advised and suggested items.

I will add DMX to it in the next two weeks and i am probably going to go with mydmx and the £10 usb item and free software.

It will be controlling 2 equinox LED 1m bars and a Gigabar for now.
    I'm not certain but I thought that mydmx needed the proper mydmx box to work?
    Freestyler will most likely work with a cheap £10 dongle which is what I'm running.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Default mydmx buddy

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    I'm not certain but I thought that mydmx needed the proper mydmx box to work?
    Freestyler will most likely work with a cheap £10 dongle which is what I'm running.
    Apologies i was referring to :My DMX Buddy
    http://www.sessionmusic.co.uk/produc...Iw0aAiYj8P8HAQ

I looked at the £10 dongle but too many stories of a massive manual to get it doing anything. I was simple effects and didn't want to spend too much or spend hours programming it

The MagicDMX Basic for £10 is also on my radar but that's the one where many say the manual is HUGE!

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

I looked at the £10 dongle but too many stories of a massive manual to get it doing anything. I was simple effects and didn't want to spend too much or spend hours programming it

The MagicDMX Basic for £10 is also on my radar but that's the one where many say the manual is HUGE!
    If you go with MYDMX Buddy, I would suggest that you go straight to the MYDMX 2.0. Eventually, you will hit the limitations on the buddy (it is just a stripped back version of 2.0) and you'll kick yourself for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    If you go with MYDMX Buddy, I would suggest that you go straight to the MYDMX 2.0. Eventually, you will hit the limitations on the buddy (it is just a stripped back version of 2.0) and you'll kick yourself for it.
    I learned something new this week though.. (woohoo!) - the Buddy can apparently store scenes & you can cycle between them using a button on it. Squirt a program down the cable onto it, give it power via its USB lead & you don't even need a computer. Allegedly. Nice idea, that.

Default dmx stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    I learned something new this week though.. (woohoo!) - the Buddy can apparently store scenes & you can cycle between them using a button on it. Squirt a program down the cable onto it, give it power via its USB lead & you don't even need a computer. Allegedly. Nice idea, that.
    Thats why i was thinking it was worth the £55. I saw it on a facebook post and thought it was very handy for the money,

I think the hours of programming may be a little essential for a good show. You can certainly get away with basic bits quite quickly though.

I cannot comment on MagicDMX but it's not difficult to get started with freestyler. I learnt using freestyler and I downloaded MyDMX and was shocked to realise despite looking completely different nearly everything is the same. Both use the same third party visualiser (magic easy view 3d), the library of fixtures same (scan library) as I found out when I thought "ah MyDMX will have the fixture settings for my new ADJ product" ... no ... no they don't. It's an identical library to freestyler and I had to create my own fixture. I do prefer the look of the scene builder, does the same thing with the same pretty much everything but looks nicer and unfortunately with freestyler you need to click left and right to navigate steps in a scene but mydmx have a list which is a good improvement.

On the other hand (without testing out fully) it seems like mydmx lacks features like override buttons which are very handy and can only play one scene at a time?? I'm unsure if it's easier to use or not as they are very similar but laid out very differently. Freestyler does seem on the surface to be a more advanced program though.

ADJ must be doing something right though as many are still happy to pay £150 for a box that does the same job as my £15 dongle ... stir, stir, stir the pot!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Default dongle

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    I think the hours of programming may be a little essential for a good show. You can certainly get away with basic bits quite quickly though.

I cannot comment on MagicDMX but it's not difficult to get started with freestyler. I learnt using freestyler and I downloaded MyDMX and was shocked to realise despite looking completely different nearly everything is the same. Both use the same third party visualiser (magic easy view 3d), the library of fixtures same (scan library) as I found out when I thought "ah MyDMX will have the fixture settings for my new ADJ product" ... no ... no they don't. It's an identical library to freestyler and I had to create my own fixture. I do prefer the look of the scene builder, does the same thing with the same pretty much everything but looks nicer and unfortunately with freestyler you need to click left and right to navigate steps in a scene but mydmx have a list which is a good improvement.

On the other hand (without testing out fully) it seems like mydmx lacks features like override buttons which are very handy and can only play one scene at a time?? I'm unsure if it's easier to use or not as they are very similar but laid out very differently. Freestyler does seem on the surface to be a more advanced program though.

ADJ must be doing something right though as many are still happy to pay £150 for a box that does the same job as my £15 dongle ... stir, stir, stir the pot!
    That £15 dongle does not work on Mac, neither does the software sadly.

Default dmx

Well i did buy both the Chamsys £10 dongle and my dmx2.0. Chamsys will be a long learn project over the summer. I simply did not like my dmx2.0.
    Seemed too long winded so i've gone for the simple but pricey option. Wifly NE1 .

Cheers to all who helped.

Bought all this gear and loads of club work comes in. Typical !