Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Splitting payment between BACs and CC for insurance

Default Splitting payment between BACs and CC for insurance

A new one for me came up this morning.

I have a client that wants to pay a nominal fee of £10 by Credit card and the balance by BACs. The reason behind it is for insurance. No problem taking the CC payment and I know if you pay for something by CC ie holidays other goods etc you are covered but not heard it in this respect before.

Anyone care to enlighten me how it works in this instance?
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs

Basically, if you pay for goods or services for over £100 on a credit card and the retailer or service provider doesn't fulfil their part of the contract or the goods are faulty then the credit company have to refund you.

As far as I am aware, you can only get a refund from the credit card company once you have approached the retailer/provider first and only up to the value of the credit card transaction value.

So in your case, if he paid the whole fee they would refund if you went bust for instance, but not for transaction of £10!

Quote Originally Posted by DJColsie View Post
    Basically, if you pay for goods or services for over £100 on a credit card and the retailer or service provider doesn't fulfil their part of the contract or the goods are faulty then the credit company have to refund you.

As far as I am aware, you can only get a refund from the credit card company once you have approached the retailer/provider first and only up to the value of the credit card transaction value.
    Kind of right.

You have to spend over £100 on the credit card to be protected, but you are then protected for the value of the entire purchase.

So paying £100 on a £5000 holiday - if the holiday company goes bust, the credit card company refunds the full £5000!

Hence why I always put deposits etc on a credit card, to ensure I'm covered from the start.

But £10 isn't £100, so offers no protection!

Perhaps they’ve taken out a wedding insurance and it’s part of the T&C’s that at least some of the payment must be made by CC?

Thanks for all the answers.

I can see what they're trying to do with the insurance side of things but still slightly baffled as to them thinking £10 will do the trick!
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs

Quote Originally Posted by Spirits High View Post
    Thanks for all the answers.

I can see what they're trying to do with the insurance side of things but still slightly baffled as to them thinking £10 will do the trick!
    Found this on google---The law behind this--

This all comes from Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, hence why this is sexily named Section 75. It rather impenetrably says…

75. — (1) If the debtor under a debtor-creditor-supplier agreement falling within section 12(b) or (c) has, in relation to a transaction financed by the agreement, any claim against the supplier in respect of a misrepresentation or breach of contract, he shall have a like claim against the creditor, who, with the supplier, shall accordingly be jointly and severally liable to the debtor.

FROM MARTIN LEWIS MONEY SAVING EXPERT

A trick to help - pay the deposit by credit card and you're covered

The law's specific on this, you get the protection for the whole cost of an item or service, even if you only pay for a part of it on credit. The only condition is that what you're buying costs more than £100 and less than £30,000.

Therefore if you want protection…

As long as it costs more than £100, pay for even a fraction on a credit card and you're protected.

================================================== ===============

I have got my credit card company to refund me over £300 on an American Flag which we paid for but never received, when it didnt appear after reminders I just phoned MBNA and told them my story--they didnt really want to know the boring background, just said when was your last reminder and then immediately raised a case against the vendor and swiped the money back for me giving the vendor 40 days to challenge it, he never did.

There is mention in the blurb of Breach of Contract which doesnt sound good.

Sooo you didnt like the DJs selection of music and no one danced much eh?---