Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Singing Drainpipes

Default Singing Drainpipes

'Singing Drainpipe' I never thought these words would pass my lips, but I'm looking to buy one, the LD range seems to offer good value and they have received sparkling reviews on the Thomann website. I want one for house parties and smaller venues, gig size 60 - 70 guests and needs to provide a 'disco' sound ie reasonably loud and good bass in these types venue. The ones I'm currently considering are the Maui 5, Maui 11, and the Maui 28, has anyone on here owned one, used one, or have an opinion on any of them?
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

The LD curve is the one you want out of the LD range.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian A Crossland View Post
    Is that the compact one that came out recently?

Mike at Phase One reviewed it and he was very impressed. Think it was about £400?

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Events Ltd View Post
    Is that the compact one that came out recently?

Mike at Phase One reviewed it and he was very impressed. Think it was about £400?
    Yes, just been on his site to check that out, it was the Maui 5 he reviewed and it impressed him, but his comments regarding the output power has ruled that model out for me, it's won't be loud enough to give it the flexibility I desire. I think the choice is going to be between the Maui 28 and the Curve 500, but would like to hear the views of anyone with a Maui 11, that's more of the price range I was initially looking to spend, looks like the budget will need increasing though.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

The Maui 5 was out at a NADJ thing I went to the other week (I was one of about 5 people there including Mike). It's definitely only for background duties I think. Sounds nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian A Crossland View Post
    What experience do you have with the Curve or any of the MAUI range (which after all the initial post was asking about) that makes you say that?
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

In case anyone is interested in the outcome of my quest for a compact line array, A.K.A. singing drainpipe I made my mind up after several exchanges of PMs with Corabar Steve, (Thanks) and went with the LD Maui 28 Mix. It arrived about 5 days later from Thomann which I thought was pretty quick considering they're in Germany. I've not used it in anger yet, but have given it a decent trial run at home and was well impressed, it fits my requirements perfectly with room to spare. The build quality is excellent, the sound is very good when not sat right next to it, (you get a bass heavy sound). You only need to move away a bit, or stand up to hear it at its best, but the same also could be said of speakers on poles over subs. The weight of the sub on this system surprised me a bit, it's actually quite heavy considering its compact size, it won't bother me, I'm not a seven stone weakling, but it may be a consideration for some. To summarise, it cost a fair bit more than I was originally intending to spend, but I'm glad I did, it's versatile, relatively powerful, sounds good and is easily transportable, it ticks all the boxes for me.

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    In case anyone is interested in the outcome of my quest for a compact line array, A.K.A. singing drainpipe I made my mind up after several exchanges of PMs with Corabar Steve, (Thanks) and went with the LD Maui 28 Mix. It arrived about 5 days later from Thomann which I thought was pretty quick considering they're in Germany. I've not used it in anger yet, but have given it a decent trial run at home and was well impressed, it fits my requirements perfectly with room to spare. The build quality is excellent, the sound is very good when not sat right next to it, (you get a bass heavy sound). You only need to move away a bit, or stand up to hear it at its best, but the same also could be said of speakers on poles over subs. The weight of the sub on this system surprised me a bit, it's actually quite heavy considering its compact size, it won't bother me, I'm not a seven stone weakling, but it may be a consideration for some. To summarise, it cost a fair bit more than I was originally intending to spend, but I'm glad I did, it's versatile, relatively powerful, sounds good and is easily transportable, it ticks all the boxes for me.
    These seem great speakers. Let us know how it goes when you have used them for a gig.

What is the weight of one in the carrying bag mate?

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    If you dont mind me asking what did it cost, presumably you bought a pair?

Up to what size audience will it (they) cover on average?

thanks

ALAN

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K View Post
    If you dont mind me asking what did it cost, presumably you bought a pair?

Up to what size audience will it (they) cover on average?

thanks

ALAN
    No, I just bought a single unit, it was all I needed for the purpose I have in mind. I bought the Maui 28 Mix 'Bundle' from Thomanns, which gave me the PA system, the bags for the satellites and the sub plus 2 x 10M XLRs Total £800 - 0.50p Regarding audience size, I don't really know yet, but it will certainly cope with 60 - 70 in a smaller venue which is what I bought it for. Corabar Steve has used a pair for 300 at a prom, I think he would be the better judge of their capabilities.

Disco 4 Hire